The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Oktava MK-012-01 or MC-012-01 mod?
Old 15th February 2008
Gear Nut

Best Oktava MK-012-01 or MC-012-01 mod?

Ive had two MK-012-01's sitting around my studio since about 2001 and never thought that much of them, but recently Ive been reading about several different mods available to make them a lot more useable. What mod do you all think makes the best impact on the sound of these mics?
Old 16th February 2008
Lives for gear

For approx $79 a piece...

I can't imagine that the mods at Oktavamod.com aren't worth it.

Plus Michael is a super nice guy who also posts here....
Old 18th February 2008
Gear Nut

I checked that out, seems like a good deal, anyone else have any input?
Old 18th February 2008
Lives for gear

I guess that I'll state the obvious and say that there are very few... if any, who have these mics and have done a listening "shootout" between modifications that can be done to them...

Most people I know don't have a bunch of different mc012's to send off for the different mods that are out there of course....

I'm not a "do a search" type of guy... and usually try to answer questions as best as I can.. but... this topic can certainly be WELL covered by doing a search....

you'll certainly find a few different opinions about some of the mods that are available...
Old 18th February 2008
Here for the gear

I have two of the MK-012s that I got modified by Michael Joly and they are totally amazing. I use them for stereo miking guitar mostly and I can't imagine needing more. I run them through an FMR RNP and sit there grinning like a fool :-)
Old 18th February 2008
Gear Nut
I have a pair of the Joly modded ones and they are fantastic!!! It seems like everytime I do drums, they seem to win out over the 451s, sm81s, nt5s, or really anyother sdc I have used.
Old 19th February 2008
Gear Nut

The Joly premium mod does sound substantially better than the standard Dorsey mod (I've compared them).
Definitely worth it.

I will say though that since I've gotten a pair of Peluso CEMC6, I haven't been using the Oktavas :( Kind of miss them.

jmp
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumminkiger View Post
Ive had two MK-012-01's sitting around my studio since about 2001 and never thought that much of them, but recently Ive been reading about several different mods available to make them a lot more useable. What mod do you all think makes the best impact on the sound of these mics?
Which do you think would make the best impact on the sound? And what would be the nature of such an impact?

The answers would seem to be related to why you haven't been using the mics. What do you think they're missing? How do you want them to sound?

Do you need another mic? Is there another mic that would fulfill your needs, rather than doing a mod on a mic you don't use at all?
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear Nut

Basicly i want them to sound a little smoother, more in the direction of an AKG 451 or a KM 184, so when i am to upgrade those are the mics i would look into getting (most likely the 451), but in the meantime, (IE while im still broke from buying a new mic pre ) for $80 a mic if i can make these things way more useful i would be happy to throw them into the mix on sessions, especially since people seem to have had good results doing so after modding. I know lots of people who like these mic's on some things, but i find them to be lacking some depth with any mic pre ive tried them through so far.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search