The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME 800 v.s. MOTU 896HD
View Poll Results: which one do you think is better?
RME Fireface 800
127 Votes - 81.41%
MOTU 896 HD
32 Votes - 20.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th January 2008
  #1
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
RME 800 v.s. MOTU 896HD

alright,...if you were choosing between one and the other, which would you choose and why?

Rme 800 or the motu 896hd??
Old 17th January 2008 | Show parent
  #2
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years


I've got an 896HD - works and sounds good.

...but I'm not looking for "mojo" or color of any kind and I don't have any finnicky mics.




-tINY

Old 17th January 2008 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
wyndrock's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
i really like the ff800. never heard the motu 896hd.

i've tracked through the ff800 a little. i really liked it. it sounded very accurate to my ears. the lack of audible latency is unbelievable.
Old 17th January 2008 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Head
 
wirrareka's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
rme ff800, you can't go wrong with it, excellent routing options, ultralow latency, expandability, superb drivers, very usable AD/DA. haven't tried motu HD though, but wouldn't even think about it if ff800 is an option
Old 20th January 2008 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
thanks for the input

any more voting would be awesome
Old 21st January 2008 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
shmoo2407's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
owned a 896, got a rme ff800, sold the 896. night and day in my opinion. the rme pres are mediocre but the 896 pres a straight up horrible.

I noticed an immediate difference in the AD/DA from the 896 to the rme. rme is MUCH better.
Old 21st January 2008 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years


Maybe they changed the design or you like to run your levels a little too hot.



-tINY

Old 21st January 2008 | Show parent
  #8
Deleted User
Guest
RME , no question. MOTU is cloudy in comparison
Old 1st March 2008 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
i keep hearing "cloudy" used to describe the motu,....does that apply to the motu mkII as well? has anyone heard or worked with the motu mkIII?

thanks a bunch
Old 1st March 2008 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years


It's an opinion - probably repeated repeatedly (what was it the Goebels said?).

Rest assured that any difference will be much less than mics, monitors, or processing choices....




-tINY

Old 1st March 2008 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
Lerxst's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I voted for the RME because it takes up one less rack space.


~Lerxst
Old 25th March 2008 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
shaggseb's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I have 2 896 HD in my project studio.

Not mindblowing but it gets the job done.

However i saw a HUGE improvement by clocking them with a Apogee Big Ben

& I mean HUGE, specially with the D/A.


Cheers


S
Old 25th March 2008 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Myriad_Rocker's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
There's another local studio that runs an 896. I've recorded on it once but I was the player and not the engineer. Sounded alright to me. I own the RME FF800, though. I love it. The only upgrade worth it in my eyes would cost far far more.
Old 25th March 2008 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Nut
 
Aurora T.'s Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
FF800 Mixer = Great

FF800 Drivers = Great

FF800 AD = Pretty good

FF800 DA = Not too bad.

FF800 Pres/DI = Bad.

Overall a decent unit for the price.

There are also the Ensemble and the Metric Halo Interfaces. Mac only.

Dont overlook the Mackie Interfaces if you cant afford external pres.

Best wishes
Old 25th March 2008 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
kingofswing's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora T. View Post

FF800 Mixer = Great

FF800 Drivers = Great thumbsup

FF800 AD = Pretty good thumbsup

FF800 DA = Pretty Great IMO thumbsupthumbsup

FF800 Pres/DI = Bad. thumbsup
Old 25th March 2008 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Tom Hakala's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing View Post
Indeed!
Old 27th May 2008
  #17
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
RME vs. Fireface 800

I completely reccomend the Fireface 800. I have used this alot for tracking everything from choirs to acoustic guitars, piano's and voices. Others that I share the studio I use have tracked drums, grand Pianos and vocalists with outstanding results. The results are incredible. We have audio samples from a side-by-side comparision of an RME Fireface 800 and an Apogee Rosetta 800 which is known for having outstanding converters. After listening to both samples of audio (mind you they were exactly the same), the results were nearly impossible to tell apart. There was the slightest bit of bleeding (and when I say slight, we listened to it 5-6 times and it was still barely noticable) in the mids coming from the FF 800 from an acoustic guitar sample. Mind you that the room we tested them in was treated properly also. With that said the RME FF 800 is the way to go. The 4 front panel Pre's are awesome too. There isn't another product on the market that offers as many features as the FF 800. We have also noticed that the drivers are outstanding. There computer interface for the Matrix and hardware control are easy to use and acceptionally well built. This is definately the way to go for both a project and pro studio.
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
BUMP!

Having this same consideration myself, except now it's the 896mk3 vs the Fireface 800.

Upgrading from a Firepod - have been pretty happy with it but the firewire connection just died on me recently (thankfully after I had finished recording drums for a project!) and I cannot get it fixed because of where I live (would have to send it from Estonia to America apparently). Rather than just buy a new Firepod, I thought I'd take the opportunity to upgrade.

I came down to a decision between these 2 for a number of reasons. The main one is expandability. They both feature word clock connectivity, double ADAT i/o and S/PDIF. This means that while I have the convenience of firewire for mobile recording, I can also use it in a more professional static rig back home.

Cons of the RME: the FF800's 4 mic pres are a big downer for me - I'm not fully expecting to be recording a drumkit within the next 6 months at least while I promote this recently completed project, but it strikes me as limiting. I do, however, have a partially functioning Firepod that could be output to the spare 4 channels and hey presto, 8 mic pres. Also, the RME does not have AES-EBU in/out. Why would I need it when I have the 2 ADAT i/o? Just for future options I guess.

Pros of the RME: I had heard that RME has pretty much the best pres and A/D/A conversion without spending ridiculous cash, although this thread seems to suggest that the pres are actively bad - this is the first place I've ever seen that suggested! Any truth to it? This is certainly the forum I would trust to tell the truth.

Cons of the MOTU: No MIDI, but that's not an expensive additional box when it comes to it. It does seem a bit of a weird thing to miss out considering how cheap it must be to include though. Secondly, I've been using an MOTU 828mk2 on loan for a while, and I find the way it routes to be a bit ass backwards - the Mic/Guitar ports on the front being referred to as Analog 13 & 14, for example (ground a session to a halt for 10 minutes while I tried to work out why nothing was coming into Logic..). I expect this wouldn't be a problem when there's only 10 possible ins, but it still put me off. The software generally isn't very user-friendly.


At the moment I'm leaning towards the RME simply based on the very good word of mouth, but I'm open to suggestions, even if it means neither of these!
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoo2407 View Post
owned a 896, got a rme ff800, sold the 896. night and day in my opinion. the rme pres are mediocre but the 896 pres a straight up horrible.

I noticed an immediate difference in the AD/DA from the 896 to the rme. rme is MUCH better.
896mk3?
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevlinC View Post
.

Cons of the RME: the FF800's 4 mic pres are a big downer for me - I'm not fully expecting to be recording a drumkit within the next 6 months at least while I promote this recently completed project, but it strikes me as limiting. I do, however, have a partially functioning Firepod that could be output to the spare 4 channels and hey presto, 8 mic pres. Also, the RME does not have AES-EBU in/out. Why would I need it when I have the 2 ADAT i/o? Just for future options I guess.

Pros of the RME: I had heard that RME has pretty much the best pres and A/D/A conversion without spending ridiculous cash, although this thread seems to suggest that the pres are actively bad - this is the first place I've ever seen that suggested! Any truth to it? This is certainly the forum I would trust to tell the truth.

Cons of the MOTU: No MIDI, but that's not an expensive additional box when it comes to it. It does seem a bit of a weird thing to miss out considering how cheap it must be to include though. Secondly, I've been using an MOTU 828mk2 on loan for a while, and I find the way it routes to be a bit ass backwards - the Mic/Guitar ports on the front being referred to as Analog 13 & 14, for example (ground a session to a halt for 10 minutes while I tried to work out why nothing was coming into Logic..). I expect this wouldn't be a problem when there's only 10 possible ins, but it still put me off. The software generally isn't very user-friendly.
#1. behringer ada8000 has 8 mic pres, at verry low price.

#2. Found: Fireface 400 vs Konnekt 48 converter loop test w/example
#3. *the best midi interface search... can you help?
#4. if you are doing electronic music get Sonic Core Xite-1
#5. Found: YouTube Mac Line-in vs. Motu 828mk3
#6. *Request* New Interface Shoot-Outs
#7. Dont like much the sound of RME SteadyClock(TM), its OK clock, decent drift, but high jitter.
YouTube: WordClock Drift Test
Jitter!!! please let me listen some!!!
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
896mk3?
Bam - MOTU.com - 896mk3 Overview
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora T. View Post
FF800 Mixer = Great
FF800 Drivers = Great
FF800 AD = Pretty good
FF800 DA = Not too bad.
FF800 Pres/DI = Bad.

Overall a decent unit for the price.
= You havent seen the DSP mixer of the Sonic Core.
& havent heard a good AD converter...
& havent heard a good wordclock.

Overall there are better options, depends on what are the needs.
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

It's an opinion -
Rest assured that any difference will be much less than mics, monitors, or processing choices....

-tINY
you are crazy.
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Damn it space, you're confusing me with all this quoting ancient posts. I thought you were talking to me!

Last edited by DevlinC; 17th September 2009 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: Misunderstanding
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
djmukilteo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
RME....yes

RME FF800 own it, use it, rock solid drivers (so many of the interfaces out there don't), low latency, sound quality is great in and out IMHO....I'm sure there are better AD/DA systems out there but for the price you won't be disappointed plus it's expandable up to 56 channels with ADAT.
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
stag's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I give the MOTU the benefit of the doubt and voted for it, the 256 bit AD\DA oversampling give me a hint of the sound quality of the 896 .
RME FF800 was nothing but trouble. The CPU scaling problem was heartbreaking, the sound was not the best compared with other interfaces, namely the Onyx 400f and the ESI Maxio 32e, which i recommend as the best bang for the money you will ever get.

BTW this discussion is about subjectivwly appreciating the sound quality and reliability of both interfaces. So i would like the owners of both interfaces to run this test: Latest News. Audio Rightmark
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
plus it's expandable up to 56 channels with ADAT.
Presumably that's true of the MOTU as well though, both have 2 ADAT i/o's.


For anyone interested in the rest of the setup, not that I should think it matters, I'm using Adam A7 monitors, and my DAW is Cubase 4.5.1 (probably upgrading to 5 when I purchase the interface, VariAudio intrigues me).


Another possible interface would be the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. Bear in mind that really I'm looking for the best mic pres and A/D/A conversion possible over any other consideration.
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Guitar solo on Motu Traveller

Here is a soundclip from a 1000 USD Martin Guitar recorded straight from the guitar into the Motu..

So no expensive mics used just the pick up

I dont know why people on this forum are so anti Motu.. Really If you listen to this clip the pre amps are not hald bad and work the audio a bit and you have good results.

YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #29
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suriv View Post
Here is a soundclip from a 1000 USD Martin Guitar recorded straight from the guitar into the Motu..

So no expensive mics used just the pick up

I dont know why people on this forum are so anti Motu.. Really If you listen to this clip the pre amps are not hald bad and work the audio a bit and you have good results.

YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement
1. Their boxes are OK sounding at best, not great
2. Their tech support is dismissive
3. They wont answer the phone when you call
4. If you do get through you get to talk to some bad attitude chick
Old 17th September 2009 | Show parent
  #30
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
you are crazy.


I know. You obviously can get better results from an upscale interface using $100 chinese mics in a empty garage.

But me, I spent a lot of money on better mics and speakers and look for good rooms to record in. And I'm satisfied with the 896HD... (though the Echo Audio unit is sounding pretty good so far too)

I obviously have a screw loose.




-tINY

πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4 views: 2039
Avatar for EminentAndrew
EminentAndrew 11th May 2009
replies: 63 views: 7483
Avatar for RME Support
RME Support 17th July 2006
replies: 6212 views: 931732
Avatar for timryan257
timryan257 2 weeks ago
replies: 2184 views: 369179
Avatar for didier.brest
didier.brest 1 day ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump