The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME 800 v.s. MOTU 896HD
View Poll Results: which one do you think is better?
RME Fireface 800
127 Votes - 81.41%
MOTU 896 HD
32 Votes - 20.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd chime in here.

I've recently come to the realization that my Motu 896 just isn't pro. In fact, the onboard soundcard of my ADK computer is WAY brighter and transient...

I didn't really notice it until I bought Adam A7X monitors and ATH-M50 headphones. Now I'm hearing the dark/hazy sound everyone mentions about MOTU.

FWIW, I'm now looking at RME for their rock solid drivers and solid converters (though the pres leave a lot to be desired). I haven't heard the newer MOTU units, but after the realization of how poor the D/A path is I'm not going to MOTU again.
Old 8th August 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Did you have the 896, or the 896HD? I had the HD and don't remember it sounding hazy.

But, that's the way converters have gone in the last 10 years. In 2001, when the original 896 was released, there were a lot of sub-par, affordable converters around. These were still better than affordable 8-tracks from 1990.... The sound of the 896HD was actually pretty good for 2004 (ish) when it was released.

Now, most of the cheap interfaces have conversion that is as good or better than the best you could get last century. (sometimes, they still screw up something in the front end or the clocking, though)

...and, strangely, all of these were quite useable with good mic placement and decent room acoustics.

-tINY

Old 8th August 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've got the original 896 and I believe what you are saying. I'm just sour on Motu because it seems that there is always a better option. I've never had anyone tell me their MOTU outperforms their Aurora, RME, etc.

If I'm going to drop cash on a new interface I'm not going Motu unless someone can prove to me it's as good as the RME and the cost difference is significant. RME also has the awesome internal routing which can really come in handy
Old 8th August 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Well, audio perfomance and features on the MotU stuff has allways been decent for the time it was released, but support has always sucked.

I won't try to talk you into buying one.... but not because of performance, cue mixer features, or build quality. ...it's the product support.

-tINY

Old 13th June 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
896HD rocks! Perhaps a little characterless in the pres department. I use it as the hub of my home setup. It cost me next to nothing and I have had nothing but joy using it. Sturdy, reliable. I certainly wouldn't say the pres are hazy. These are extremely clean and quiet. But if you are looking for colour with your pres, go elsewhere.
Old 27th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm currently testing a 896hd as it's going for cheap. I bought it home not expecting much so set it up for comparison against a 002r and an RME ff400.
I don't know why and I'm trying to figure out why I like the motu sound better than the other two! Yes it's sounds brighter but not in a bad way. Playing some reference tracks revealed more depth than the other two units. So what now maybe there is something wrong with me. The 002 is cloudy with an apparent low end boost, the RME sounds flat ( which should be a good thing ) but boring and not particularly revealing at the same time. I have been using the RME for around 5 years and never found it anything special, all the paper specs mean nothing if the results are uninspiring IMHO! For the price I'm gonna take the 896hd a not look back.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirrareka View Post
rme ff800, you can't go wrong with it, excellent routing options, ultralow latency, expandability, superb drivers, very usable AD/DA. haven't tried motu HD though, but wouldn't even think about it if ff800 is an option
With all due respect this is the problem with gearslutz. Things can be dismissed based on biased, hearsay, politics and the opinion of others! Why would you not experience something for yourself and then decide. This is becoming worrying.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just be careful with those phantom power switches on the 896HD. Unlike most (all?) other motu interfaces, the 896HD provides power on both the XLR and TRS parts of the neutrik connector. Great way to fry synth outputs...
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I just spent the past few days trying to decide if I need or want to replace my Motu 828mkII [with Black Lion mods and their Micro Clock II] with a higher priced ADDA. After performing some tests, using a recording originally processed through a LavryAD122MKIII as the control, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the Motu [as moded] is producing a relatively close equivalent in terms of articulation and clarity. Even its' lesser dynamic range did not seem to add much negative affect. However, while the midds and highs were indistinguishably equivalent, I found the low end [as reveled by a the male vocal] sounding maybe 1% less husky.

Turns out Black Lion chose to replace the audio IC, that they used when my mod was done some years ago, with OP2134's - saying they would sound a bit nicer. So I'm going to have them changed.

What I did notice is that as I moved to lower quality, switching between the external and internal clock, and then from 88.2KHz to 44.1KHz, the vocal lost more low end and was slightly less pleasing. I'm wondering if it's only the low level low frequencies that aren't somehow being converted.

I've hear people comment that high end converters don't do that. That the sound quality is the same no matter what sample rate is used. Does anyone know if that is true?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenreesmusic View Post
896HD rocks! Perhaps a little characterless in the pres department. I use it as the hub of my home setup. It cost me next to nothing and I have had nothing but joy using it. Sturdy, reliable. I certainly wouldn't say the pres are hazy. These are extremely clean and quiet. But if you are looking for colour with your pres, go elsewhere.
At the prices they're selling for these days, they're cheaper than a Sony professional cassette walkman!

The 896HD I have had for 15 years is missing half the paint, and it's not been totally without fault – it has overheated and made squealing sounds, it has crashed and needed switching on and off... and it makes everything you put through it sound kinda vague and boring. It has no sparkle at all – and it'll really teach you to get a decent input, because it's begrudgingly hostile to presence and musicality. You'll have to work to get a satisfying sound.

Totally useful machine, though, and the blinkenlights and front mounted gains really do make it highly convenient to use as a field box. Mine has been used as a demoing rig that goes into rehearsal rooms, and it has been working fine for me since the days when I had to put a G4 tower in the boot to go along with it...

It would be good if it sounded nicer so it'll make a trip to Chicago @ Black Lion most likely. It has sentimental missing paint at this point.

Last edited by bishopdante; 3 weeks ago at 05:45 PM..
πŸ“ Reply