Art Tubefire 8
Old 5th January 2009
  #31
Gear interested
 

ART-Less

I'm starting to think all ART Gear is the same. Sure it's GREAT, if you swap out the tubes and Mod the hell out of it. By the time you spent all that time and money you could have bought something good to start with.
Old 6th January 2009
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzer0 View Post
I'm starting to think all ART Gear is the same. Sure it's GREAT, if you swap out the tubes and Mod the hell out of it. By the time you spent all that time and money you could have bought something good to start with.
I am not sure anyone has said that you have to mod the tubefire to get a good sound. Some choose to...that is cool...but it is inaccurate (in my opinion) to say that you can not capture a quality recording with this gear straight out of the box.
Old 6th January 2009
  #33
Gear maniac
 

i purchased one a few weeks ago and have used it to record 5 bands out on location with a true precision 8 and some drawmer compression (actually, just limiting with the drawmer to be specific so as to catch any potential 'overs').

i used the tubefire for guitars (some fiddles, too), and vocals.

i have to say the thing has performed beautifully. i am in the processs of mixing some tunes down...my audio will be used for the three-camera video shoot.

i do intend to change the tubes at some point, but i will attest that this piece of equipment sounds more than just fine right of the box...lots of "wham for the wampum" if you ask me...
Old 7th January 2009
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
I am not sure anyone has said that you have to mod the tubefire to get a good sound. Some choose to...that is cool...but it is inaccurate (in my opinion) to say that you can not capture a quality recording with this gear straight out of the box.
Heavy G... you are absolutely correct
Old 7th January 2009
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurydime View Post
i purchased one a few weeks ago and have used it to record 5 bands out on location with a true precision 8 and some drawmer compression (actually, just limiting with the drawmer to be specific so as to catch any potential 'overs').

i used the tubefire for guitars (some fiddles, too), and vocals.

i have to say the thing has performed beautifully. i am in the processs of mixing some tunes down...my audio will be used for the three-camera video shoot.

i do intend to change the tubes at some point, but i will attest that this piece of equipment sounds more than just fine right of the box...lots of "wham for the wampum" if you ask me...
"Wham for the wampum"...that is beautiful. I will make sure I give you songwriting credit when I cover your material, Mercury.

I was doing a session last night and I can not get over how easy it is to use...the low latency...and the high quality of the unit. I am a salesperson during the day...so I get excited about things and tend to "sell them"...so take my endorsement and enthusiasm with the appropriate perspective.
Old 7th January 2009
  #36
Lives for gear
 

I just wanted to thank the posters on this thread for turning me on to affordable ART tube gear. As I've committed to PT/MP, I can't use the Tubefire for I/O, but I am ordering an ART Pro Channel to combine with an M-Audio Profire 610 and a POD UX2 - another "secret weapon."

In my last recording phase, I used a $2000 Groove Tubes Vipre to warm up POD and other sounds. I have every reason to anticipate that the ART Pro Channel can do the deed for roughly a tenth of the price.

Lastly, while I may attempt a tube upgrade at some point, minds I trust have pointed out that the stock tubes are carefully chosen, not scraped from the bottom of a bargain bin.
Old 7th January 2009
  #37
Lives for gear
 
sleeper1400's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
I just wanted to thank the posters on this thread for turning me on to affordable ART tube gear. As I've committed to PT/MP, I can't use the Tubefire for I/O, but I am ordering an ART Pro Channel to combine with an M-Audio Profire 610 and a POD UX2 - another "secret weapon."

In my last recording phase, I used a $2000 Groove Tubes Vipre to warm up POD and other sounds. I have every reason to anticipate that the ART Pro Channel can do the deed for roughly a tenth of the price.

Lastly, while I may attempt a tube upgrade at some point, minds I trust have pointed out that the stock tubes are carefully chosen, not scraped from the bottom of a bargain bin.
agreed.
why is everyone hating on ART?
they make reasonabley priced gear, i have the limiting amp and it sounds fine.(the name escapes me...)
why would they be compared to behringer?
thats nonsense.
Old 7th January 2009
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Fast_Fingers's Avatar
 

Man, there seems to be a lot of good 8 FW channelers...this, the Presonus Firestudios, and the Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i/o. Though I find it really interesting that the Emusician reviewer said he couldn't distinguish the TF from the RME 800...has anyone here A/B'd the two?
Old 8th January 2009
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1400 View Post
agreed.
why is everyone hating on ART?
they make reasonabley priced gear, i have the limiting amp and it sounds fine.(the name escapes me...)
why would they be compared to behringer?
thats nonsense.
+1 no idea why people here are hating Art... must not have ever used it or perhaps did not use it in with good settings... certainly didn't blind test it against something supposedly better... while I have a lot of high end stuff I still use Art units and love the results. People around here are VERY FREAKIN OPINONATED!

Old 8th January 2009
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Corran's Avatar
 

My only real experience with ART preamps was the Tube MP, which to me was a terrible preamp for the brief time it actually worked. That leads me to be slightly hesitant about other preamps from them.

This however looks like a quality piece. If only I could actually afford one right now!
Old 8th January 2009
  #41
Gear Head
 

Has anyone here used it in high-gain situations? At one point does it tend to get a little dirtier. I was going to get a dmp3 for my re20 but it's been backordered (at least from MF). The guys that sell the tubefires for the best price on ebay (proaudiostar) are actually right down the street from me so I was thinking I might just hop over and get one. As u can see at some point I had a slutty thought and can now rationalize spending 3x the amount for 4x the number of preamps. err wait maybe I can't do that.
Old 8th January 2009
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Wouldn't shock me if they gave you an in-the-hood evaluation period at which point you could answer your own questions. No harm in asking!
Old 9th January 2009
  #43
Gear maniac
 

Hi there,

I'm thinking about buying this stuff but I'm actually running Vista and I didn't find any information about drivers compatibility.

No one tested it ?

By the way I just mailed ART so I will post the response if it's interesting. But i'd prefer to see someone who tried it.

Vincent
Old 9th January 2009
  #44
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
"Wham for the wampum"...that is beautiful. I will make sure I give you songwriting credit when I cover your material, Mercury.

I was doing a session last night and I can not get over how easy it is to use...the low latency...and the high quality of the unit. I am a salesperson during the day...so I get excited about things and tend to "sell them"...so take my endorsement and enthusiasm with the appropriate perspective.
glad you like, it Heavy Gand carry on...

i will post a couple mixes from the live performances in a few days so folks can hear the unit on electric guitars/vocals...

i think most here will be able to appreciate the vocals and guitar work of one of my local acts...smokin'...
Old 9th January 2009
  #45
Lives for gear
 
moon_unit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
My only real experience with ART preamps was the Tube MP, which to me was a terrible preamp for the brief time it actually worked. That leads me to be slightly hesitant about other preamps from them.
Same here. Also had a DI/O converter and one of their leveller compressors. Of the three, the leveller was kind of decent for what it was, but the other two sounded hazy, and had really goofy gain stages. And they were all really sensitive to RF and just about any other kind of noise imaginable.

I don't doubt that they're capable of making good stuff from time to time, just like a blind squirrel will eventually find a nut if he's at it long enough.
Old 10th January 2009
  #46
Lives for gear
 

OK

Right...and Fender, Neumann, Vox, AKG, Yamaha, etc. don't make products that may not be of the best quality? I am sorry that you had a bad experience with something from their line...but have you listened to the feedback of those using MPA Golds, Pro Channels, Tubefires, etc? Most have had great results with the gear that they are making now...

Your "blind squirrel" analogy is like me saying "you know, that Fender piece of crap red knob solid state combo I bought when I was 19 SUCKED"...so I will never buy another Fender amp as long as I live." Then I go tell everyone how much Fender sucks...
Old 11th January 2009
  #47
Lives for gear
 
hgen's Avatar
 

Anyone got some samples of the tubefire? Got me interested!
Old 11th January 2009
  #48
Gear addict
 
rolo95's Avatar
 

Gezzzzzzzz

The tubefire uses a starved plate pre amp design
all pres based on the starved plate design sound like dfegad

Nuff said.
Old 11th January 2009
  #49
Gear interested
 

tube on out as well???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr jazz View Post
It seem that the tubes also work when you read music. so inoutputs too.
Are you stating that the tubes can be used on the 8 channels of output? If so, this could be a great piece of gear to warm up any soft synths, etc. during an OTB mixdown. Can anyone else confirm/deny this feature? Thanks!
Old 11th January 2009
  #50
Gear interested
 

Well I own an Art Tubefire for about a year or so now. I'm using it as an firewire interface with my Toshiba labtop running vista. When I tried the tubefire out for the first time it sounded really good to me as I had just upgraded from an Alesis Multimix mixer.
Nevertheless the drivers have been extremely awful and I got ASIO dropouts every few minutes. After talking to the ART support guys and doing some research on the internet things became better. Last year ART also fixed some of the driver issues and now the unit runs stable on my system.

ma_pa
Old 11th January 2009
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbie View Post
Are you stating that the tubes can be used on the 8 channels of output? If so, this could be a great piece of gear to warm up any soft synths, etc. during an OTB mixdown. Can anyone else confirm/deny this feature? Thanks!
Warm it up, Chris...I'm about to.


Sorry to go Kriss Kross on you guys...I couldnt resist. Yes, you can warm up your signal with some toasty tube output goodness.
Old 11th January 2009
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo95 View Post
Gezzzzzzzz

The tubefire uses a starved plate pre amp design
all pres based on the starved plate design sound like dfegad

Nuff said.
Words of wisdom. So...what else can you get for $429-529 (depending on where you buy it) US that gives you eight channels of solid sounding pres and does not use this design? How about a suggestion from your infinite powers of audio Gandalfary instead of a hatchet job?

I may not be Daniel Lanois...so I do not know what starved plate means...what I do know is that this unit sounds pretty darned good to my ears.
Old 11th January 2009
  #53
Lives for gear
 
Corran's Avatar
 

Really? "Starved-plate" is thrown around the low-end forum all the time it seems.

It just means the tubes aren't being run at the proper high-voltage (which would cost a lot more) and therefore aren't really providing "real" tube sound.

Of course the addage of "If it sounds good, it is good" applies here, so if the preamp sounds fine, great. My initial comments basically alluded to the fact that from the outside, one could possibly think this preamp is just 8 Tube MP preamps with AD and ADAT.

Seriously though, I'm still interested in one. But for my money I'd rather get a Sytek right now, even if there is only 4 channels. I'm at the point where I don't want "budget" gear anymore.
Old 11th January 2009
  #54
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Really? "Starved-plate" is thrown around the low-end forum all the time it seems.

It just means the tubes aren't being run at the proper high-voltage (which would cost a lot more) and therefore aren't really providing "real" tube sound.

Of course the addage of "If it sounds good, it is good" applies here, so if the preamp sounds fine, great. My initial comments basically alluded to the fact that from the outside, one could possibly think this preamp is just 8 Tube MP preamps with AD and ADAT.

Seriously though, I'm still interested in one. But for my money I'd rather get a Sytek right now, even if there is only 4 channels. I'm at the point where I don't want "budget" gear anymore.
I have heard that the Sytek may be the best pre for the money out there...not low end...but under a grand for 4 channels is pretty darned good for a pre that rivals API (again what others have said).
Old 11th January 2009
  #55
Lives for gear
 
mamm7215's Avatar
 

Starved plate is only using one side of the tube to get some "toob" harmonics/saturation/distortion. Which is fine. It is what it is. The ART TubeMP is not a good sounding box to my ears for critical stuff but is good for effecty things
like bass DI or something. I have an MPA Gold with NOS Mullards and it's nice. I've worked with it for a couple of years now and can get good recordings from it. I just got the Toft ATC-2 and it's pres are not tube, not quite high-end, but useable and actually a bit of a step up from the MPA as far as overall clarity and "bigness" on a reasonable controlled shootout. Most of the time, sometimes the MPA is still the choice. I don't have a Pacifica to go up against, though. I'm sure the Tubefire8 is just as useable. I've had 3 songs on small market radio in Canada last year I cut with the MPA and a 57, Apex 460 or SP C1. Just sayin...
Old 11th January 2009
  #56
Gear Head
 

Well I got one and am already pretty happy with it. I used it as a DI for an old Hohner electric piano I have and that thing sounded the best it ever has. I heard the "warming" factor that likes to get thrown around a lot and I definitely liked it. I also used it on my re20 and I was getting much more useable gain out of it than what I'd had before. Now I just gotta see if it can completely replace my alesis io26 as an interface, or see if i can get 2 interfaces running. Of course I must preface all my comments by saying that I have no experience with high-end gear but the unit sounds better to me.

Although I must say that if I had seen this thing in the store before having read about it, I would have been completely blown off by it just due to the packaging. Yeah it's got tubes but do they really have to market everything with tubes as if its gonna explode out of the packaging and burn your house down.
Old 11th January 2009
  #57
Lives for gear
 
BOWIE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
Starved plate is only using one side of the tube to get some "toob" harmonics/saturation/distortion.
Sorry, I've got to correct you there. Tapping only one triode is not "starved plate". Some of the best gear ever made uses only one triode, but at normal voltages. "Starved" refers to the use of lower than normal plate voltages which is usually done to save money on costly power supplies, regardless of the triodes(s) used.
With that said, starved plate designs get a notoriously bad rep because some some real crap has been made with starved plate so people automaticly think it means that the tube has no effect on the sound, which is not always the case. If it sounds good, that should really be all that matters.
Old 11th January 2009
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Corran's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
I have heard that the Sytek may be the best pre for the money out there...not low end...but under a grand for 4 channels is pretty darned good for a pre that rivals API (again what others have said).
Yeah, exactly, which is why I'm making myself not buy any preamps until I can afford the Sytek.

Now if I can just stop buying mics
Old 12th January 2009
  #59
Lives for gear
 
mamm7215's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
Sorry, I've got to correct you there. Tapping only one triode is not "starved plate". Some of the best gear ever made uses only one triode, but at normal voltages. "Starved" refers to the use of lower than normal plate voltages which is usually done to save money on costly power supplies, regardless of the triodes(s) used.
With that said, starved plate designs get a notoriously bad rep because some some real crap has been made with starved plate so people automaticly think it means that the tube has no effect on the sound, which is not always the case. If it sounds good, that should really be all that matters.
Yes, I stand corrected, I forgot to mention about the lower plate voltage as well.
Old 12th January 2009
  #60
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_pa View Post
Well I own an Art Tubefire for about a year or so now. I'm using it as an firewire interface with my Toshiba labtop running vista. When I tried the tubefire out for the first time it sounded really good to me as I had just upgraded from an Alesis Multimix mixer.
Nevertheless the drivers have been extremely awful and I got ASIO dropouts every few minutes. After talking to the ART support guys and doing some research on the internet things became better. Last year ART also fixed some of the driver issues and now the unit runs stable on my system.

ma_pa
So now you can use it on VISTA without any prob and without doing a lot of tweaking ? Which usual latency do you use for recording ?

Vincent
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
projuice / Low End Theory
44
vacantsonar / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
homestudioguy / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
mathieujohnson / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search