The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
And what, in your opinion, are the best DI and Re-amp devices you've used? Direct Injection & Re-amp Boxes
Old 22nd November 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
ya know, i think i would of died and gone to heaven in a bassist, or a vocalist came in with their line in to the recorder. i mean dont think i wouldnt fully check out EXACTLY what they had and set at [for learning purposes and shop talk]... but if i had a tone-to-go... ****, less i have to think about. that would be GREAT. and it would show dedication to their tone on their part. definately a respect thing happening.
They're available - all it takes is a budget...

For that matter, I can thing of a couple of guitarists who can give you the same thing (Rivera, Fender and Marshall amps, 441's, API preamps and compressors - there's a sound), steel players (Mesa Boogie, 421, Averill 1272's, and even a couple of fiddle players though I'm not a huge fan of the signal path that one of them is using).

The thing that makes Nashville so wonderful for producers and engineers is that the musicians do sessions every day. They spend more time with headphones on than most people working in an office. The guys here know exasctly what they're doing; their signal paths come hearing what makes them sound great in one studio after another, not from reading about it in a magazine.

But most of them are still searching for a better tone - that's why they'll try whatever you want if you're not happy with the sound they give you first.

As long as I'm recording music played by musicians, there's no other place to live than Nashville.
Old 22nd November 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by littlelabs
Hey Dave,
The muti Z Hi Z position and the PCP have 15dB of gain, my Ibp 12-30dB gain on them, I'd have call that Line level (+4dB) on anything but the lowest output instruments. Dis with a mic level out (my redeye for example and any Jensen passive DI) lose 15 to 20dB of gain, thats what makes it a mic level DI. I bet your multi Z would sound better than that nice dfegad canadian thing if you ran it line in.

jonathan
I dunno, Jonathan - I have the Multi-Z, and it certainly doesn't put out enough level to sit same way that the Evil Twin does in my signal chain - directly into a compressor and then to tape. And that was with both an active bass (Modulus with an 18 volt mod) and a passive bass (Fender Jazz). The Evil Twin had to be turned way, way down to be as low as the Multi-Z. I'll give it another shot when I get a chance, though, and see what I can do to make it as loud as possible. I DO want to try the Redeye when I get a chance, and the PCP, since I got to play through one a little bit at Michael's Wagener's place.

After all, you can never have enough DI's...
Old 23rd November 2002
Little Labs

Weel ....the great evil one has up to 36dB gain that is at least 50dB more than a JE DB e direct box transformer (which s I said before loses something like 18dB of gain). The evil has enough gain to work as a microphone pre-amp, that is why they have that mic pre option. I think that is one of the reasons people like it ....louder psychoacoustically ... is always better, and if you don't compare at the exact same levels, it's tough to compare. I'm not claiming the little labs stuff is a mic pre, but it can bring a les paul up to +4dB aka line level. Now I know you know what you are doing, but many people out there, who weren't alive when analog tape was the medium, haven't a clue about +4dB as line level, or furthermore gain structure in the recording chain any more. By the way any word on Dave Marquettes health (Evil twin designer)? I have not met him but I have heard he is a really great guy.
all da best
Jonathan
yuktyy
Old 23rd November 2002
Yarzzzzz... In fact my PCP's Di output is rather HOT and can't be trimmed as far as I know (shame when you want to go direct to a DAW converter at times)

It tends to suit fast moving 'complex' bass lines, a bit like switching from valve to solid state on one of those combination bass heads (cool in other words)

Plodding simple bass does better on the Evil Twin.

I tried a Ridge Farm Gass Cooker Di.. It was OK

Johnathan, care to do me an output trim mod on my PCP?

heh
Old 23rd November 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Betsey
Fair point though. And I know what you mean, you can't polish a turd.

Who knows, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here... maybe all the players I've worked with are crap? Or maybe all the players you work with are so amazing that you could plug them into a Mackie and get it sounding like Dave's rig?

(Hmmm. Did I sense some condescension in your last paragraph? If I'm wrong, my apologies.)
Nah, not all of the players I work with sound great. I wish half of them sounded decent. I don't know, I just can't justify a $500 or $1000 DI when I don't hear anything wrong with the standard stuff. I'd rather spend that dough on a new mic or maybe take a vacation. I don't record that many things with a DI, usually just bass. Keys usually get tracked in the control room and go right into the DI on whatever preamp I use. So yeah, spending that money on something just to track the bass DI? I'll pass for now.
Old 23rd November 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by littlelabs

By the way any word on Dave Marquettes health (Evil twin designer)? I have not met him but I have heard he is a really great guy.
Bruce Sifried (I'm not sure of the spelling, since I'm not on my computer right now) is going through some health problems. When last we communicated, he was about to be out of commission for a couple of months, I think.

He's a super-nice guy, and deserves all the best. (Now if I could just scrape up the cash for the La-La Limiter...).
Old 23rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Damn is Dave not well? He REALLY is a nice guy!
Old 23rd November 2002
Gear Addict

gotta tell ya, i've seen the aguilar db900 goin' for as low as $350. it's a great di for both bass and guitar. i even use it in my live rig, going into an rnc & a trademark 60. would love an evil twin, though. too pricey for me, at the moment; there's other stuff i need.

ml
Old 23rd November 2002
Little Labs

Yo Jules
trim mod for the PCP DI out can be done, but it would be easier to bring it down a fixed amount due to limited panel space. When you comin to Hollywood? Come up to the laborratorry and we'll do the mod. Oh and you all out there lookin for a cheap DI, the little labs redeye is pretty damn good for a passive and it has a re-amp (please note the hyphen don't want to get sued) in it as well for a whopping list price of $250! :eek:
jonathan
ps
sorry I mixed up dave and bruce, anyway I hope he's ok
Old 8th December 2002
Here for the gear

Reamp®

I have been following this and other Reamp® threads with interest. Initially I just wanted to sit back and read what people had to say about it and not jump in with a sales rap. Unfortunately I can no longer sit back because others have decided to promote their own version of the Reamp. But first a little history: In 1993 when I built the first Reamp to save a Joe Satriani live bass recording I had no idea that nine years later it would be “common practice” among so many great engineers. I fact, I had to give away, for free, the first 50 Reamps that I had built to engineers in L.A. just in order to prove its usefulness. Now I receive emails every week from users who tell me how the Reamp has changed the way they record or how it saved a performance slated for re-recording. At this point there are over a thousand of my Reamps in use and the demand for more has been constant. The popularity of my device has encouraged others to cash in on my hard work and personally financed promotion of re-amping. This is what has prompted me to write my own sales rap. Aside from the fact that they are, in my opinion, infringing on my patent and trademark, they have not built a better device. The use of a custom wound UTC style transformer mentioned by one such manufacturer has always been a part of my Reamp design. This isn’t rocket science -- if you what a device that does only what it was designed to do perfectly, has been proven in the field by thousands of users, comes in an indestructible high tech aluminum box with a lifetime guarantee, then my Reamp is the only smart choice. $240.00 with free two day shipping in the U.S.A. >reamp.com<
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Addict

For those who love their DIY, http://www.jensentransformers.com/as/as092.pdf

Bear
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

Deju Vu...
Old 8th December 2002
One with big hooves

Re: Reamp®

John, while it's nice to see you post here I gotta make a few comments. Since you only have two posts I'll explain a few things. #1 Ad's aren't allowed. Neither is SPAM. Your post above is both. Manufacturers are allowed and encouraged to post but if you come off like the Radar guy and just push your product all the time I and other moderators will delete your posts. Answering questions about your products and stuff is great and encouraged. So is general talk about engineering, food and other junk. Since you've worked on a lot of great albums with various artists over the years feel free to drop by and post stuff about that. If you do that we'll overlook the blatant sales posts as long as they aren't frequent. Personally, I'd love to know what working with the Dead Kennedys was like.
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Nut

Re: Reamp®

Quote:
Originally posted by Plus6
The popularity of my device has encouraged others to cash in on my hard work and personally financed promotion of re-amping.

If you are referring to Little labs, I think you`re wrong, none of their products are markeded as a re-amp tools. The re-amp function is just a bonus.....

Amund
Old 8th December 2002
Here for the gear

Jay,

My apologies for posting the same comment twice, it was a mistake. I have no intentions of SPAMing or pushing my product outside of my first post. In fact, I have kept my comments to my self for months until I could no longer stay silent. I am sorry if those comments upset anyone I just needed to set the record straight, something I hope your forum encourages.
Old 8th December 2002
One with big hooves

John, that's fine and all and that's what it's here for. But seriously, I'd love to have your input on other topics and I'm sure others would agree.
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
My apologies for posting the same comment twice, it was a mistake. I have no intentions of SPAMing or pushing my product outside of my first post. In fact, I have kept my comments to my self for months until I could no longer stay silent...
John,

It's a shame you felt you had to 'lurk'. You should feel at home and join right in on the conversations offering your insights, opinions, and experiences with the group. I'm sure we'd all be grateful to have you, I know I would.

Gearslutz is a great place to hang and home to some of the most knowledgeable and cordial group of people by far of all the boards. It makes for some outstanding and productive discussions. Sure, a little mud gets flung now and then but it's very minimal and usually done with a smile. Jules has put together something very special here and as you can see our moderators do a great job of keeping the place happy and tidy for all of us. So come on in, sit down, have a beer (or beverage of choice) and welcome, I hope you decide to stick around.

Tim L
Old 8th December 2002
Here for the gear

OK Tom I promise, No more lurking. Just constructive input, stories, a little clean mud now and then and of course, shameless self-promotion at the risk of being flamed.rollz
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK Tom...
Uhhh.. that would be Tim...
Old 9th December 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
Uhhh.. that would be Tim...
Sorry Tim, bad joke
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
fact, I have kept my comments to my self for months until I could no longer stay silent. I am sorry if those comments upset anyone I just needed to set the record straight, something I hope your forum encourages.
Took you long enough to register. By all means, set the record STRAIGHT. But please don't bash other companies just because they are your competition.
Old 9th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
But please don't bash other companies just because they are your competition.
Yeah - bash them when you've got something to bash about...
Old 9th December 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Yeah - bash them when you've got something to bash about...
What do you mean Dave?
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Addict

Seems to me a certain Canadian manufacturer of generally well thought of gear has taken a bit of bashing from a certain Californian manufacturer of generally well though of gear whose posts might possibly be construed as ad copy. Nobody's slapping his wrists for not talking about Tchad Blake instead.
Old 9th December 2002
Here for the gear

Well put mitgong, this was the impetus of my first post. Since then I have been accused of pushing my product, bashing another manufacturer and not paying my taxes, nice forum you got here. I also like Tchad Blake as an engineer.rollz
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

Tchad Blake is the best!! *smile*

Now HE is an original!
Old 9th December 2002
Little Labs

OK OK Screw that
tut
Read the whole thread on the Canadian Box it starts with

"It looks like it would be a pretty useful tool. I'm wondering how it compares to the Little Labs PCP."

That is clearly a factual comparison I posted and a little poke of fun on Canadian "Classic Rock". As far as you go Mr. Cubernetti I'll deal with you in my next post with a little factual comparison not some blind advertising bs.
By the way Tchad Blake has always been a solid supporter of the Little Labs stuff. Little Labs has received credit on albums he engineered which is pretty cool to me... I never get credits and I have been workin in studios 25 years. A wonderful person he is, his wife jacquiet is damn cool too and a great engineer as well.
Old 9th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
What do you mean Dave?
Nothing at all from a business viewpoint. But if, for example, you had some inside scoop about one of your competitors being caught in a compromising position with a goat, then we'd all like to hear the gossip (gossip, naturally, makes the audio business lots more interesting...).

I don't really have an opinion about the various re-amping devices; the quality of the musicians working here and the speed that my deadlines force me to work pretty much eliminates both the the need and the opportunity to reamp for creative or for repair . In fact, I've had the Alan Smart box here for a couple of years, and have never used it. (I'm waiting for a good price on a B15 and an SVT, at which point I'll probably use it all the time for tracking bass while sitting in the control room, or for mixing it if I don't use the amp while tracking).

I got to use the LittleLabs PCP for just a bit over at Michael Wagener's, and think that's a way cool box. One of these days, I'll get around to asking someone about some specific things I'd like to do that may be facilitated with the PCP; if it will do those things, I'll buy one. I've played with the Radial JD7, and liked what it did. However, since the 'typical' workflow around here doesn't require a box like the JD7, I didn't buy one - I have no need for it.

As for DI's, I'm fairly open minded. On this board (and a few others), the Evil Twin has a certain popularity. I've owned one and used it for 4 or 5 years. I had a chance to hear the LittleLabs active DI, and liked it enough to buy one (and one of these days, I'll pick up another). I heard the Radial JD48, and liked it enough to buy a pair.

I haven't played with any of your products, so I don't have an opinion. But I'm glad that you've decided to participate in this forum.
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Head

i do mostly synth/soft synth based music, using a motu 1224, g4, some midi modules and a mackie cr 1604.

what would be a good DI to put inbw/ the synths and the motu convertors to 'fatten/3D-ize' the sound?
Old 7th January 2003
One with big hooves

If you want to thicken things up a Demter tube DI is great. I've also heard the ART Tube MP being used well a few times but that's really colored.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search