The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Peavey Renown series 212 combo guitar amp
Old 1st December 2007
Here for the gear

Question Peavey Renown series 212 combo guitar amp

hey everyone the lead guitarist for my band has a pretty old Peavey Renown series 212 combo amp (300 watts i think)

if anyone has one or knows how to get a good clean sound out of it let me know because its very frustrating and alote of the knobs i have no idea what they control...... thanks in advance
Old 2nd December 2007
Here for the gear

Well....

I don't have one of the Renown series amps, nor have I used one in any capacity. But, I know essentially what they are- An old solid-state kinda general purpose guitar amp. SO, in order to maybe give some suggestions about how to use this amp properly, I'd like to know what kinda sound you're going for, and the specific problems you're having with it's tone, etc.. On the surface, I'd probably suggest using a different amp for tracking purposes (if indeed that is what you're using it for) but I can't get too specific without any details. Let me know what's up! Thanks!

Rick
Old 2nd December 2007
Here for the gear

yea thats bassically what it is: all purpose guitar amp

well i play lead in a grunge punk band and i wanted the sound coming from it to be really crunchy. but a sound that you can still play lead and sound ok.

the problem is, i really dont know what all of the knobs on it control. you can pull knobs out and push them in, to control the channels im geussing?

and when i got all the EQ settings to where it sounds descent, all of a sudden theres this loud ass banging in the speakers. (very surprised the speakers arent busted already) when i got the amp, it had 2 brand new Peavey speakers in it.. im not sure what kind but they are Peavey.

i will post another reply with all the knobs that are on the front..

but for right now im going to sleep. later

i will post the other reply towmorow. bye bye
Old 2nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamete View Post
yea thats bassically what it is: all purpose guitar amp

well i play lead in a grunge punk band and i wanted the sound coming from it to be really crunchy. but a sound that you can still play lead and sound ok.

the problem is, i really dont know what all of the knobs on it control. you can pull knobs out and push them in, to control the channels im geussing?

and when i got all the EQ settings to where it sounds descent, all of a sudden theres this loud ass banging in the speakers. (very surprised the speakers arent busted already) when i got the amp, it had 2 brand new Peavey speakers in it.. im not sure what kind but they are Peavey.

i will post another reply with all the knobs that are on the front..

but for right now im going to sleep. later

i will post the other reply towmorow. bye bye
Peavey is pretty good about about having manuals for their older gear. Have checked their website?
Old 2nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Dont the knobs have words underneath them?
Old 2nd December 2007
Guitar players can read? heh
Old 2nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Guitar players can read? heh
yes not lon wrd tho.
Old 2nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
lon wrd tho.
I know that scale! heh
Old 2nd December 2007
Here for the gear

yea but

yea the knobs have word underneath them but some of them i dont know what the **** they do.....

like saturation and presence and post, and pre-post.

no Peavey.com doesetn have it there... this amp was made in the early 80's actually i beleive. i guess ill double check... lol

and yea this guitar player can read lol
Old 2nd December 2007
Gear Nut

LMAO...

That brings back memories...I remember working a summer job to pay for that amp and lots of other toys. I still have my Renown 212 buried in my basement, and man that sucker is loud. Unfortunately, my wife has sh*t stacked from floor to ceiling down there so there's no way I can get to it.

The banging you hear is from the spring reverb...great way to scare the hell out of your friends with a little kick to the amp. Try turning reverb all the way down (Just disconnect the wire from the reverb tank in back if it gets too loud or annoying...)

I am totally going off memory, but I do remember a lot of knobs and the eq on one of the channels was parametric (one knob inside the other.)

If you are not familiar with these terms, Pre and Post are equivalent to volume and master volume on other amps, Saturation is amount of 'distortion' and presence is the frequency range that gives you the super high end.

I have had the amp since I was a teenager, and was NEVER happy with the distortion sound (crappy solid state attempt at tube distortion back in the day.) The only reason I bought it back then was because it was LOUD, so I used lots of pedals in front of it

It is a two channel amp with one being your lead channel and one being your clean channel. I'll bet if it sounds weird, it may be that you are hearing both channels at the same time...the clean channels mixes with distortion and the knob twiddling gets confusing..used to happen to me when i first got it.

If you don't have the footswitch that came with it, make sure you are only using one channel at a time (all knobs all the way counterclockwise on one side.)

Then try to dial in a good tone on one channel or the other.

Hope this helps, and I recommend you google the terms you see on the faceplate as things will make more sense to you....

Good luck, and be sure to annoy your neighbors like I used to do with it...
Old 3rd December 2007
Here for the gear

thanks alote

thanks so much man!!! that really helps alote knowing what all of those knobs do.... maybe now i can get a good sound from the amp. well i run a digitech grunge pedal though it... and it sounds good but jsut wanted to know what those knobs did.. thanks alote again!
Old 30th November 2010
Here for the gear

Thumbs up Peavey Renown amplifier

Me and my 2nd guitarist both used the Peavey Renown for most of the 80's & early 90's.It sounds like you guy's are talking about the Renown 400,not to be confused with the Renown. I hated the 400's sound.The distortion just didn't bring "IT",but the regular Renown was awsome!!! We also used our Renowns to power our Marshall 4x12 cabinets which gave us 6x12's each.Yes, the Renown will power a 4x12 cabinet and it is very powerfull. It has a 750watt preamp!!! As hard as that is to believe, it's true. I've argued with friends as well as salesmen about this amps ability to perform in this capacity. I always end up having to hook the two together to make idiots out of them. They all end up with the exact same look of dismay on thier faces when I crank it up and a wall of beautiful rock guitar sound hits them dead in the face!!! Also, this amp has another great selling point.It comes loaded with Scorpion speakers. When blown, the Scorpion can be seperated from its magnet via three allen bolts and a new basket purchased for a mere $40.oo from your local dealer instead of shelling out $120.oo for an entire speaker asembly. If you have the good fortune of coming accross one of these Renowns (not the Renown 400) and the electronics are in working order,purchase it immediately!!! thumbsup
Old 16th August 2014
Here for the gear

I used the Peavey Renown 2x12 solo back in the mid 80s in my club days playing hard rock. I too ran this amp thru a Marshall 4x12 cab but only used the Marshall cab as it was rewired to 4 ohms. That setup sounded great for the time. We were playing stuff like Ozzy, Bark at the moon, Scorpions, Motley Crue, and all the considered (metal stuff) at that time.

I recently picked up another old renown at a pawn shop and cleaned it up, it was made in 1984 and that thing is LOUD, but the best sound I get out of it is running the gain channel clean and running a BOSS ME-50 thru that channel.
I also run it thru the stock speakers or another old Marshall 4x12 I have and it sounds darn good thru both.

The amp is actually rated at 160 watts RMS @ 4 ohm which is not the same as RMS rated tube amp watts but all in all this is a good amp and it is still working great after 30 years. I could still go play any club with this amp and it would do the job no problem...

Here is an attached picture of my old band (Deep Freeze) in a club in Galveston, Tx called (The Cave) in 1985
Attached Thumbnails
Peavey Renown series 212 combo guitar amp-img_0024.jpg  
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

I remember walking into Chuck Levin's back in the mid (early?) '80s wanting to buy a Marshall and when I told the guy how much money I had to spend, this is the amp he showed me. I was so disappointed, but I ended up buying it and using it for many years. The only solid state amp I've owned that I believe must've been heavier (and louder) than any tube combo of the same ilk! I ended up "giving it away" by loaning it to a co-worker who promptly quit and moved!

Sorry I can't remember a damn thing about how to get sounds out of the thing, but I do remember thinking at the time that it was a pretty good sounding amp to my inexperienced ears. I've seen a few on Craigslist over the years and nostalgia has made me think about it, but my back has always vetoed!
Old 17th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog951 View Post
I remember walking into Chuck Levin's back in the mid (early?) '80s wanting to buy a Marshall and when I told the guy how much money I had to spend, this is the amp he showed me. I was so disappointed, but I ended up buying it and using it for many years. The only solid state amp I've owned that I believe must've been heavier (and louder) than any tube combo of the same ilk! I ended up "giving it away" by loaning it to a co-worker who promptly quit and moved!

Sorry I can't remember a damn thing about how to get sounds out of the thing, but I do remember thinking at the time that it was a pretty good sounding amp to my inexperienced ears. I've seen a few on Craigslist over the years and nostalgia has made me think about it, but my back has always vetoed!
I got my first PV Renown used in 1984 or 85, cant exactly remember but I couldn't afford a better amp at the time being a broke rock musician... clubs didn't pay much for bands then, especially if you were not playing MTV pop music... Seems the clubs that hired us were rowdy and crazy drinkers.

I had bought a used 82 renown back in 2006 and played on it a bit but was not that enthused with it, gave it to my nephew in 2009. Then I ran across a BOSS ME-50 in late 2009 and was surprised to see how well that pedal sounded even though I have always been into analog pedalboard. Last Christmas I found a 1982 Peavey Special 1x12, then in February I found a 1984 Peavey Bandit 65 at a pawn and ran the ME-50 thru both and it sounded really good. Then some months back I found the 84 Renown at a pawn. Put some wheels on it not to break my back...lol...

The funny thing is I'm a tube guy and have a old Marshall non master 50 watt full stack and that thing sounds great. For the SS PV amps, I find running the gain channels clean and running the ME-50 thru them, they actually sound good. I'm a bit nostalgic but the build quality on these old Peavey amps are fantastic, especially compared to most SS amps these days which are China built... I was darn surprised that a Peavey Bandit 65 could actually sound good considering I had on in 1982 to 84 and hated them. If you get nostalgic, get the Bandit 65, its not as good as the Renown but somewhat close and run a good distortion pedal on the gain channel set clean and it will surprise you. Plus it wont break your back...

I have heard some guys using the PV Bandit 65 with pedals for years in clubs and those amps are like the Energizer bunny, they just keep going and going...
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I had one of these. It weighed as much as a tank and was as loud as a jet engine. I once accidentally dropped it down a flight of stairs and it was just fine. dssdsd's link is a great resource - it's just a fancy preamp/master volume setup with a few extra controls to tweak the amount of gain you get from the pre (saturation) and the high end (presence).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80's Guitar King View Post
Me and my 2nd guitarist both used the Peavey Renown for most of the 80's & early 90's. It sounds like you guy's are talking about the Renown 400,not to be confused with the Renown. I hated the 400's sound.The distortion just didn't bring "IT",but the regular Renown was awsome!!! We also used our Renowns to power our Marshall 4x12 cabinets which gave us 6x12's each.Yes, the Renown will power a 4x12 cabinet and it is very powerfull. It has a 750watt preamp!!! As hard as that is to believe, it's true. I've argued with friends as well as salesmen about this amps ability to perform in this capacity. I always end up having to hook the two together to make idiots out of them. They all end up with the exact same look of dismay on thier faces when I crank it up and a wall of beautiful rock guitar sound hits them dead in the face!!! Also, this amp has another great selling point.It comes loaded with Scorpion speakers. When blown, the Scorpion can be seperated from its magnet via three allen bolts and a new basket purchased for a mere $40.oo from your local dealer instead of shelling out $120.oo for an entire speaker asembly. If you have the good fortune of coming accross one of these Renowns (not the Renown 400) and the electronics are in working order,purchase it immediately!!! thumbsup
You may have owned the amp but you obviously never looked at the manufacturers specs.

Guitar Amps are rated in Clean RMS watts, Not Peak power, Music power Program power, Maximum power or any other fake numbers used by manufacturers to fake people out and make them think the amp is louder then it is.

Some of the numbers I've seen over the years as an electronic tech border on pure science fiction. The one I loved was a 5W RMS Gorilla amp boasting 1000W peak power. The amp consumes 10 watts of power from the outlet. How do you magically get the extra 950W out the speaker. Then you can tell me how any 5" speaker can handle 1000W.

These are the specs on these amps as per the manufacturer.

The 2X12 Renown produces 120W RMS when run at 4 ohms. (Not 300W).

The Renown 400 produces 160W RMS at 4 ohms. (not 750W)

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say a 750W preamps.

Preamps produce line level outputs which are typically 1 volt and maybe 50 milliamps which produces less than .05 Watts is at most.

Last edited by wrgkmc; 1 week ago at 06:34 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I had a 400. I thought it was 210 watts at 4-ohms (not that a labeling of "watts" really means anything - just what I remember seeing on the back of the chassis. Of course that was 30 years ago so...). But it was heavy and loud - no doubt. I lightened up that rig by trading it for a 60's bassman head with a 2x12 cab.

anyway - back to the original poster: turn up the post, turn down the pre, don't use the saturation channel and you will have as much clean headroom as you can possible handle.

750watt preamp. hehe. That's good stuff... No wonder people are arguing with you... ;~)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

at least my long-term memory hasn't failed me. Pic of the back of a 400 I found on the net:

https://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/p...ifier/16366295

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search