The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oktava 319 mod Condenser Microphones
Old 10th October 2007
Gear Head

Oktava 319 mod

Hi,

I've been a lurker here up until this week, and I know this ground has been covered, but I just thought I'd let you guys know that I'm getting my 319 mod'ed by the guy that sells the 012 upgrade kits on ebay and that I'll give a review of his work when I get it back. If you're wondering why I went with him and not the Joly mod it is because of the price. He charges almost 1/2 the price of the Joly mod, and from what he told me, they sound fairly similar.

For those of you who do your own mods, I am a big guy who is very hard on things and I don't think I have a gentle enough touch to do it myself. I also don't know anything about electronics or circuit boards except for what I've read in the forum. Please feel free to give any comments about the mod. This is what he will be doing:

- The body is damped
- One layer of head basket screening is removed
- Damping material is applied to the inside of the basket supporting posts
- The capsule diaphragm resonator discs are removed. This is optional, removing
them provides a more rolled-off top end - they are intended to trap the
high-freq and extend range. I perfer them removed.
-Damping material is added at the base of the capsule
-I use the highest quality electroic parts. The cap in the direct
signal path is replaced with a true film polypropylene capacitor. The other
electrolytic capacitors are replaced with high grade tantalums. The Toshiba
2SK170BL is used to replace the FET and the highest
quality 1G thick film resistors are used for the leak and bias resistors. The DC
blocking capacitor is replaced with a COG monolith type.
- The low cut and attenuation switch daughter board is removed. The switches
will remain, but will not function. The long wires going to the daughter board,
cause high freq detail loss, due to stray capacitance. The removed daughter
board is returned to you along will all removed parts except for the basket
screen.

Juan
Old 10th October 2007
Gear maniac

i got the standard mod for my oktava 319 and it was 100 bucks.
i had six or seven mics modded by joly.
he actually gives a crap, in my opinion.
he really knows that brand inside out, and the standard mod is really good.

i'm not associated with that dude, and usually i don't recommend sending loot any person's particular direction.

in this case i think it would be better to do the mod with a guy with chops and who knows the brand and all the models rather than some dude on ebay.

steven walcott
Engine Studios
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey1 View Post
i got the standard mod for my oktava 319 and it was 100 bucks.
i had six or seven mics modded by joly.
he actually gives a crap, in my opinion.
he really knows that brand inside out, and the standard mod is really good.

i'm not associated with that dude, and usually i don't recommend sending loot any person's particular direction.

in this case i think it would be better to do the mod with a guy with chops and who knows the brand and all the models rather than some dude on ebay.

steven walcott
Engine Studios
I agree. I have had 5 modded by Mike, and done numerous mic tests for him. He really does care about clients. Not to say that this guy does not, but I have never seen him on any forums contributing his knowledge either.

His feedback looks good on eBaY, but it would be a stretch to assume he is the Mad Scientist that "Dr. Mic" is.
Old 11th October 2007
Gear Head

Thanks 1monkey1 and AcousticCloud for your advice,

I've seen nothing but good comments about OktavaMod and am actually planning to send a tube mic Joly's way in the future. I figure I'll give this other guy a try. So far he's been very forthright and honest with me and have answered any and all my questions (which have been quite a few). I do feel a little nervous sending my 319 to someone that's not named Michael Joly but I figured I'd give him a try. He's doing the electronics and body upgrade for the same price as a standard OkatavaMod, and he doesn't seem to be "copying" Joly's work, although any oktava mods would be similar in nature.

Juan
Old 24th October 2007
Gear Head

Hi All,

I did end up sending my 319 to the "ebay guy" Bill Sitler to get mod'ed and recieved it just last week. I gotta say that I can't believe the difference! I'm not a pro audio engineer by any means, but this thing rocks. I've previously recorded vocals with an AKG C3000B and Baby Bottle and I just can't believe my ears. I have a very high tenor voice and this mic just lends a nice warmth to it that I haven't gotten with the other two mics, especially the Baby Bottle. In comparison, I sound sibilant and a little too bright with the Baby Bottle. I just can't believe the difference the mod has made. Did I mentioned that Bill's mod cost me $119!? It was money well spent. This mic had been sitting in a drawer for years. I would occasionally take it out, try it on a recording, and immediately put it back in the drawer. Now all I want to do is record stuff, mainly my own voice. This is the first time I've recorded myself and didn't do a bit of a cringe (this is not because I don't have a good voice. I sing professionally and have been on Broadway, so people actually have paid quite a bit to hear me sing). What a difference the right mic makes.

If anyone's interested, here is a link to his web page:

http://home.comcast.net/~sitlerd/CDorder/MicMods.html

BTW, I'm not trying to take anything away from Michael Joly and I have no attachment to Bill Sitler. I've only heard good to great comments about Joly and the fact that he frequents this and other Forums and gives tons of great advice without expecting anything in return is a Huge plus, IMHO. I just have very little money to throw at my equipment, so the fact that I could get an electronics upgrade on my mic for the price I paid was too good to pass up.

Juan
Old 24th October 2007
Gear Head

Bryan,

I totally agree with you. I really cannot believe the difference a few electonics can make combined with a few physical modifications. I really did consider this mic unusable before the mod. I also got my mic back in the day when they could be had for $50-75 and I've seen people post that the quality control of the build on the 319 has since changed tremendously. In addition, before I decided to send him the mic, Bill sent me a comparison clip between an unmod'ed and mod'ed 319 of his own. I would have to say that while there was a definite improvement in the sound, the difference in his clips were not as dramatic as the results I ended up getting with my mic.

Juan
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

I'm REALLY interested in getting my MK012s Dorseyed up. Problem is I'm in the UK and can't get hold of the magazine.

If anyone has a lead on anyone that could either do the mod for me, or that I could purchase a legal copy of the article from I'd be forever in their debt . . .

MohThoM
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

I don't really see any info about the 319 on the link. I would be interested to see what the DIY kit would set me back for a 319.
Old 24th October 2007
Gear Head

I don't think he has the 319 as a do it yourself kit yet, but I would email him and see if he would do that for you. After all, if he's selling a kit for the 012's, why not for the 319's. The only reason I knew to ask him about the mod is that he had one sentence in his ebay auction for the 012 upgrade that alluded to the fact that he also does the 219 and 319. I didn't even think of asking for a do it yourself kit because I know next to nothing about that kind of stuff and didn't want to mess the job up myself. He is very open and easy to talk to.

Juan
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

I emailed him about a DIY MK319 kit. I will let you know what he says for any interested.
Old 24th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan162 View Post
Hi,

- The body is damped
- One layer of head basket screening is removed
- Damping material is applied to the inside of the basket supporting posts
- The capsule diaphragm resonator discs are removed. This is optional, removing
them provides a more rolled-off top end - they are intended to trap the
high-freq and extend range. I perfer them removed.
-Damping material is added at the base of the capsule
-I use the highest quality electroic parts. The cap in the direct
signal path is replaced with a true film polypropylene capacitor. The other
electrolytic capacitors are replaced with high grade tantalums. The Toshiba
2SK170BL is used to replace the FET and the highest
quality 1G thick film resistors are used for the leak and bias resistors. The DC
blocking capacitor is replaced with a COG monolith type.
- The low cut and attenuation switch daughter board is removed. The switches
will remain, but will not function. The long wires going to the daughter board,
cause high freq detail loss, due to stray capacitance. The removed daughter
board is returned to you along will all removed parts except for the basket
screen.

Juan
This looks like pretty much a direct rip off of what Michael Joly and Jim Williams do.
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Here is part of the email I received from Bill:

Yes I have an 319 electronics only mod kit, which is $39 with free shipping in the US. It contains all the components listed below. Detailed step by step instructions, like those provided with the 012 kit, are not included with the 319 kits. High quality pictures showing all the part placement are included. If you need a kit just PayPal the $39 and I will get it in the mail.

That seems really reasonable if you are brave enough to try one. There was a parts list that he included but I didn't feel it necessary to include it here.
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregl View Post
This looks like pretty much a direct rip off of what Michael Joly and Jim Williams do.
indeed

that kinda sucks because MR. joly has spent many days
many hours perfecting these Mic's

as tempting as the price is, their is no way I would do it

out of respect
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

I agree. He may not be breaking any legal laws, but still. Mike never did the Dorsey mods (even though he knew how), even when Scott quit doing them, until Scott gave him the heads up to carry on with them.

Thats respect.
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
indeed

that kinda sucks because MR. joly has spent many days
many hours perfecting these Mic's

as tempting as the price is, their is no way I would do it

out of respect
I don't want to get into a flame war here, but I do take offense at you infering that going to someone else besides Michael Joly for an Oktava Mod is disrespectful. From all the different posts I've read on mod'ing mics (which is way too many to even get into), aren't all of these mods based on Scott Dorsey's mod? And from following many different mod threads, it seems that although the mics and parts may differ slightly, much of what is done on many different mics, including chinese LDC's and tube LDC's and the like, is quite a bit the same? I'm sure someone will tell me to shut up and that I don't know what I'm talking about (and I don't, that's why I sent it to someone else to work on), but I am simply a guy on a budget, and if someone else can do something similar for less, that's fine by me. Let's be clear, this is not something that is copyright protected or anything like that...it is simply changing out crappy electronics for better electronics and physically altering the mic body, all things I could do on my own with some practice which is what everyone says on these very same forums, but even better to send to someone to do for a good price. Would you have the same problem with it if I had done the mods myself? Isn't that still, in your own view, taking the hours of work that others have done before me and putting it towards my own, evil goals?

I've also pulled from the many mic mod'ing threads that mod'ing is as much an art as it is a science, which means if someone has spent the time it takes to gain the skills to do something, why is it disrespectful to then use those skills to make a living? I didn't invent singing, the piano, nor the various styles I play in. Is it disrespectful of me to play cover tunes in the style of my favorite bands? Even if I tried to sell an album of cover tunes, don't you think the original artist is going to sell like a million more albums than me? Don't you think most people with the money are going to go to Michael Joly? This IS the Low End Forum and I am simply trying something that has saved me money and that I deemed safer than DIY.

I've seen many people take digs at a certain Canadian mic mod'er (you know, Royer mic mod?) for taking so much time to mod mics and to get them back into the hands of the people that pay him. I also saw the same people look elsewhere for the exact same mod. It's funny that nobody complained about that! Maybe it's because people didn't like him and he wasn't that great a guy to deal with.

I'm on a really tight budget. I did not want to take the risk of mod'ing the mic myself, but looked long and hard and found another solution. If you ask me, I still took a big risk in sending my mic to someone who doesn't have a pedigree for mic mod'ing. I got a great product back. I don't know if it's as good as Joly's, but I'm overjoyed with it. Bill will also do Dorsey mods to 012's for around $50. I've read that Joly's mods are a step up over the basic Dorsey. They also cost $20 more. I bet many people will still pay Joly for his mod, although some will go to the other guy. I'm glad you feel respect for a very accomplished Mic mod'er and businessman as I do in Joly. No matter how many people do similar mods, Joly will always be the man. That said, I need the extra $100 I saved by sending it to someone else. That's all I got, and if you think I'm a ^%$# for what I did, well I guess that's your opinion. Would I send my mic to Bill Sitler again? Your #$% straight I would!

Juan
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan162 View Post
I don't want to get into a flame war here, but I do take offense at you infering that going to someone else besides Michael Joly for an Oktava Mod is disrespectful.
well Jaun,
that Mic mod is a very small market,Its a mans bread and butter
I was only making a point and not starting a flame war
I am sorry if you take offense to protecting one mans niche market
as MR.Joly has helped me and many other people on this board
I fell obligated to back him for many reasons
for one his longevity
for two he is connected with Oktava

I dont know enough about the whole Dorsey mod thing
to argue with you

but I fell this man is obligated to this market
and if that pisses you off
I'm very not much sorry at all
as thats how I fell

I dont think some one should have to copy write stuff
when every body in the industry knows its his deal
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

14 posts I smell a spam a cookin
Old 25th October 2007
This is true and he refused to do them at the time. That is very cool. I ended up messing the mods up lol. I fixed them later. I actually had Mike mod a pair of Apex 205's for me and they sound damn excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
I agree. He may not be breaking any legal laws, but still. Mike never did the Dorsey mods (even though he knew how), even when Scott quit doing them, until Scott gave him the heads up to carry on with them.

Thats respect.
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Juan,
First of all, you keep talking about your tight budget. Sorry, but the mods that Mike performs are NOT high end dollar-wise. Nowhere near that.

Sheesh, you act like you had to buy a little Art preamp because you couldnt afford a big Neve console!!

Second of all, no one here flamed you as a big traitor, we were just stating our position on it. Pretty mildly, I must say.

Third of all, what did you expect by bringing all this here anyway?

You brought it on yourself, and people did not react in a harsh way at all,
but you seem to be horribly offended.

I dont get it.

Oh well

Would be sheer comedy though, to see you post in a few weeks, "OMG, MY 319 STOPPED WORKING, HELP"!!!!
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Head

"that Mic mod is a very small market,Its a mans bread and butter
I was only making a point and not starting a flame war
I am sorry if you take offense to protecting one mans niche market
as MR.Joly has helped me and many other people on this board
I fell obligated to back him for many reasons
for one his longevity
for two he is connected with Oktava "

It's neat how you put words in people's mouths. Others will hopefully read the whole post and see where I give full props to Michael Joly and that I think that he will continue to be the goto guy for Oktava mods. Will people continue to look for bargains, or others to do mods for them? Yes. Just like any other market. I don't think Mr. Joly has anything to worry about, as he has helped many people. As much of a bargain as his mics are, there are people that have a VERY limitted budget and still want to get the most out of it.

"as tempting as the price is, their is no way I would do it
out of respect"

I have a problem with you passing judgement on others. When you add a sarcastic sad face to your phrase, you are clearly meaning to insult and pass judgement.

I dont know enough about the whole Dorsey mod thing
to argue with you

If Michael Joly had come up with the whole mod himself, or had it copyrighted or something, I would never have gone to someone else. I did alot of research before pulling the trigger and did what is best for me. This may not be what is best for others.

"but I fell this man is obligated to this market
and if that pisses you off
I'm very not much sorry at all
as thats how I fell"

Again, it's nice how you try to put words in my mouth and say that I'm pissed off because you're defending Michael Joly. Once again, I'm the guy that has been giving him props the whole way. He's the man. I just don't have any cash, therefore I AM NOT IN HIS NICHE MARKET. I never said that people shouldn't check him out or use him for that matter. I hope to one day be able to afford to send him a mic to mod. You're the one that's passing judgement and saying that another way is wrong or bad.

"I dont think some one should have to copy write stuff
when every body in the industry knows its his deal"

Hmmmm....if you do a bunch of searches on gearsluts, you're gonna find all kinds of people looking for local or non-local techs to mod their mics, pre's, etc. Michael Joly is not the only one in the market. He is however, one of the most outspoken, honest, skilled, and successful ones. The fact that you feel you have to attack me to protect him speaks volumes for his work. FYI: you don't have to protect him? I'm not attacking him and he will keep on being the big fish in this niche market of mic mod'ing as long as he keeps doing what he's doing. Will there be others who will try to jump in the frey? Yes. Will many of them fail? Yes. Will some stay? yes. Those that stay will have to find something that is valuable to consumers to stay in business.

Juan
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
BC, I must be dense! Or a dunce!

That never occured to me

Bottom line is though, Juan, you are fighting 10 times harder here, for you and bill, than anyone is for Joly. Isn't that wierd?
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

I never put words in your mouth

did I pass judgment on you Yea!
you smell like spam

the Dorsey mod is mostly on the 012
I thought we were talking about the 319

do you have any clue about copy writing
costs
it almost would not be worth it
it comes down to respect
and hopping the world isn't full of
miss understood piles

`Juan, you are spamming some one Else's Idea
for another man profit, to that it doesn't pertain to the original
desighner
if you dont understand this I dont know what to tell you
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Head

Acoustic Cloud,

First of all, your budget is not mine, so Sheesh right back at you!

Second, I had no problems with your particular comments, so I don't have much to say about that.

Thirdly, I just thought that some other people might like to know what I got back for my money. This is the Low End Room. I'm not trying to take food out of anybody's mouth. I'm just trying to keep under my own budget, which to you might be a laugh, buy to me is all that I actually have.

"You brought it on yourself, and people did not react in a harsh way at all,
but you seem to be horribly offended." I'm confused. I thought the low end room is to discuss inexpensive products. One man's low end is a $500 mic while another man's is under $100. I thought someone might be interested in the info. People have posted about the "ebay guy" before and nobody cared?

"Would be sheer comedy though, to see you post in a few weeks, "OMG, MY 319 STOPPED WORKING, HELP"!!!!" - I believe that this is my point. I don't have much cash and I took a chance on someone I don't know and it ended up great. I hope it stays that way and I'll let you know if it doesn't. If it doesn't, I am sure you will laugh mightily at my predicament and feel free to do so. I'm glad that you don't have to worry about saving up a couple dollars a week so that in 1-2 years you have enough money to buy something for a $100-$200 but I do. I took a risk by going to someone without a storied pedigree and I hope that it was worth it in the long run. What's sheer comedy is that you think the only guys that come on here have $400, $500 or $1000 or more to spend on a mic. Joly is not expensive when compared to many products that are out there. In fact, HE IS A BARGAIN. However, the fact that sub $100 mics sell spectacularly well tells me that there are others in my budget range that might want the info that I shared. Once again, this is the Low End Forum. There were several DIY'ers who posted on this thread, as well. And I'm sure that there are some more people that have contacted him but will never share their experiences because of how this thread has been recieved.

I'll say it one more time. Joly is the man and I highly respect him and his work. I have not nor have I ever slandered him or his business, but I am being treated as if I did. This is what I have a problem with. I just wanted to share my experience hoping that it might help others.

Juan
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Head

About the spam thing...I'm not trying to advertise or do anything for anyone. If you think I am, well there's nothing I can do. This thread had gone horribly wrong and I apologize to anyone who was actually looking for some information. I'm done with it,

Juan

BTW, the Dorsey mod is on every cheap mic, LDC and SDC that is being made and many of the companies have actually changed their mics to reflect the mod, hence making it obsolete
Old 25th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
This is true and he refused to do them at the time. That is very cool. I ended up messing the mods up lol. I fixed them later. I actually had Mike mod a pair of Apex 205's for me and they sound damn excellent.
So I lied,

one more post...I didn't know that Michael had asked permission from Dorsey to do the mods. Would I have not gotten my mod done having known this ahead of time? I honestly don't know.

Juan
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

bra, this is Low end
that doesn't mean we are thieves

low end ,yea!

what does that mean,
we dont have a hundred thousand dollar Mic locker
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

You speak /type pretty eloquently. I would think you could afford more. If you are in a third world country, making 40 bucks a month making 2 dollar garments in a sweatshop, then I could totally empathize with your situation.

Dont get me wrong, Im NOT making fun of you, but as you said, this is the "low end room". Its not the homeless room!
Old 25th October 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud
You speak /type pretty eloquently. I would think you could afford more.
i hate to jump into the middle of this, but you guys are coming off like jerks

Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhair View Post
i hate to jump into the middle of this, but you guys are coming off like jerks

Maybe so.

Hes coming off as spam/advertising to me.

I hated to say that, though.
Old 25th October 2007
Lives for gear

I'm more of an ass hole than a jerk
but thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search