The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Firepod/FP10 vs Firestudio Project
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Addict

Hello Rick!

Sorry for the "johnny come lately" question, but what is te difference between the Fire Studio and Fire Studio Project?

Also, is there a fix for us poor souls who do not have TI Firewire inputs? I have occasional problems with my FS into my Dell D630, and Dell has been no help... More accurately, they won't admit the non-TI FW problem...

Your help and input on this board (and others, I'm sure) is greatly appreciated!
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Addict

The FS Project has 10 inputs (eight mic/line preamps + SPDIF)

The Firestudio has 26 inputs and outputs (eight mic/line preamps + 2 ADAT + SPDIF)

The other difference is that the Firestudio has the ability to use the MSR remote which gives you talkback, speaker switching etc.. It hooks up to the Firestudio through an ethernet port on the back.

Regarding your 2nd question: I would actually recommend always using a PCMCIA/dedicated, non-combo FireWire 400 PCI card with a Texas Instruments chipset. Even though there are some 4 channel built in cards that work fine, I've found that the connection on the 4 pin ones is really flimsy and you always run the risk of the cable pulling out and losing connection. Personally, I've had much better luck with 6pin connectors.

Here's a list of laptop 6pin cards that we recommend:

SIIG - Low Profile - TI
Lava - 1394 Fire Host - TI
SIIG - NN2608 - TI
Keyspan - FPCI-3 - TI
SIIG - NN2603 - TI
SIIG - NN-440012 xFirewire - TI
SIIG - NN30012 - TI

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,
Old 22nd May 2008
Here for the gear

Does the firestudio project allow you to daisy chain units together?
I have been looking at the FP10s as, at the moment, money is tight and the 8 mic inputs will suffice. but in the future, i'd like to take live recordings of my band in rehearsals etc..
Old 26th July 2008
Here for the gear

FP10 vs FireStudio

Very helpful threads... I have a fianle question;

Will the FireStudio Project ever have the capacity to dasiy-chain via a firmware update or other driver patch?
Old 26th July 2008
Lives for gear

Rick,
I've also heard through the grapevine that there will be a re-release of the Firepod/FP10 later this year. Is this true? And if so, would it be possible to add a driver/firmware update to enable the MSR to work with the Firepod(s)? My current set up with my Firepod and ART Digital MPA is just too stable to change right now. Way too stable. And I take the tracks I record to larger studios and they think I have a high end set up.
Old 27th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Will the FireStudio Project ever have the capacity to dasiy-chain via a firmware update or other driver patch?
Yes, it will. We are finishing the Firestudio2626 new driver and control panel right now. As soon as that driver is out of open beta, we are planning to launch an open beta of the new multiunit driver for the Project.

One cool thing about this driver is that you will have the ability to daisy chain a Firestudio Project with a Firestudio Tube. The limit is up to 32 inputs and outputs at 44.1 or 48k.

So you will be able to chain four FS Projects. Or two FS Tubes. Or one FS Tube and two FS Projects.... etc.....
Old 27th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
would it be possible to add a driver/firmware update to enable the MSR to work with the Firepod(s)?
Hi Herman,

Actually, the MSR plugs into an ethernet jack on the back of the Firestudio2626. So, it would actually require a hardware change to make them work together (not just firmware).

Another option for you might be the Monitor Station. It will give you basically everything that an MSR has except for surround. It actually gives you two more headphone amplifiers (total of 4) plus a phono preamp for turntables as well.
Old 27th July 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Rick. I might have to go with the monitor station. What about the Firepod re-release? Are the rumors true?
Old 28th July 2008
Gear Addict

We have no plans to re-release the Firepod anytime this year.

Actually, the Firestudio Project is basically a Firepod with every gripe that we had from customers addressed.

Here's a quick comparison of the two:

1. Better analog to digital conversion (the Firepod had 106dB of dynamic range; the FS Project has 114dB)
2. Better fit and finish - no wiggly pots, no firewire jacks sticking out
3. Power button on the front panel (can somebody give me an Amen!)
4. Better metering (the Firepod had only a clip indicator; the FS Project has a 3 segment LED to let you know sooner that you are approaching clipping)
5. More phantom power switches (the Firepod had only 2; the FS project has four)
6. Better software bundle (we constantly try to get better at this with every new product)
7. A DSP Mixer that allows you to send multiple stereo monitor mixes to different musicians (the Firepod only had one mono no latency mix that everybody has to share)

The only feature that the Firepod has that the Project doesn't is daisy chaining. And we are hoping to release a new beta driver within the next month that will allow you to daisy chain up to 4 Projects together.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Old 28th July 2008
Gear Maniac

As a Firestudio Project owner, this makes me happy!

-ScottyD
Old 28th July 2008
Lives for gear

I have a firestudio project, I use it for studio and live recording, I have to say that it,s really OK, really handy nice package everything you want, but you want a bigger sound fast!
Old 29th July 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Rick. This is interesting as my salesperson at Sweetwater told me this information. I've been nothing but pleased with my Firepod and am quite surprised that I've considered keeping it (I actually bought it right before the Firestudio came out). Hopefully, by the time I decide to upgrade the choice will become clear. I will definitely stick with a Presonus product. As I've said previously, I've taken projects recorded on my Firepod to a large studio in Nashville for mix and master and they never new these projects were not recorded on high end gear. Thanks again Rick....
Old 29th July 2008
Digital MPA into Firepod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
Rick,
I've also heard through the grapevine that there will be a re-release of the Firepod/FP10 later this year. Is this true? And if so, would it be possible to add a driver/firmware update to enable the MSR to work with the Firepod(s)? My current set up with my Firepod and ART Digital MPA is just too stable to change right now. Way too stable. And I take the tracks I record to larger studios and they think I have a high end set up.
Herman,
What sort of difference did you get when you used the MPA thru the Firepod digital in's, compared to using the Firepod pre's?
Old 29th July 2008
Firebox vs FireStudio Project

Hi Rick

Does the Firebox use the same pre's as the FP10 and FireStudio project? I'm busy contemplating an upgrade from my Firebox. My sales guy says they have the same XMAXX pre's, so upgrading from a Firebox to FSP would be giving me essentially better conversion...?
Old 29th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Does the Firebox use the same pre's as the FP10 and FireStudio project?
The preamps in the FP10 and Project are different. They have more gain than the Firebox preamps. The A/D conversion in the Project is a step above both the FP10 and Firebox. And the word clock syncronization in the Project is better than the FP10 and Firebox.

The Firebox is a great mobile device but I believe you would definitely hear a difference.
Old 29th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknaqvi View Post
The preamps in the FP10 and Project are different. They have more gain than the Firebox preamps. The A/D conversion in the Project is a step above both the FP10 and Firebox. And the word clock syncronization in the Project is better than the FP10 and Firebox.

The Firebox is a great mobile device but I believe you would definitely hear a difference.
Thanks Rick. Looks like the Firestudio Project may be the number for me! The Firebox has run sweet on my system - without a hiccup!!! (dual core PC using Audition 3.0). Are there any driver issues with the FSP?

Amos
Old 7th September 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknaqvi View Post
-The Project ships with the new version of Cubase LE called LE4.
Disregard this post. Didn't realize it was such an extreme thread revive...
📝 Reply