The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Building an effects microphone out of an old telephone
Old 21st September 2007
Here for the gear

Building an effects microphone out of an old telephone

hello all,

I am wanting to build an effects microphone out of an old telephone receiver, circa 1970-1980. I would like to drive it off of phantom power since I believe that 48 VDC is comparable to line voltage of most (older) phones.

Here come the questions:

Since the microphone elements of these phones where a two wire system, can I simply tie one of the legs carrying the phantom power to the neutral pin through a significantly large resistor 100k?? 1M??

(I know this unbalances the system, but this is to achieve a low fi sound anyway.)

Next what would be the protocol for impedance matching. I dont have the thing on the bench so I am unsure of the impedance?

Would it need to be an more complex than a series resistor?
Would I need anything else?
Remember that simplicity is better in my opinion as long as I can be relatively sure that I would destroy my board or its phantom power.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

-E
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Addict

I'd post this in the "So much gear, so little time" forum. It's just s guess, but there might be more guys in there that could help you.
Old 21st September 2007

It depends on the telephone.

By the late 70's some phones were using condenser mics, but most were still using dynamics.

-tINY

Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Guru

I made a very nice effects mic using the earpiece of a standard telephone of that vintage (black, Ma Bell, regular old telephone from when there was only one phone company)

I put a 1/4" jack on it and I plug it into a DI box. It works great and gives you exactly that telephone sound. No phantom power needed, and the Direct Box seems to work perfectly for the impedance.

I left it in the handset. It looks a little weird when you use it because it is clearly upside down- but I suppose you could move the wire...
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Head

I was thinking about this yesterday...
Recreating this effect in software just never sounds right.
Any schematics for this project, joeq?
Guess I'll Google around.
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramona View Post
I was thinking about this yesterday...
Recreating this effect in software just never sounds right.
Any schematics for this project, joeq?
Guess I'll Google around.
you don't really need a schematic- you don't even need a soldering iron.

if you unscrew the earpiece there is a round Army-green speaker about 1/2 thick with seven holes in the metal, behind which you can see a silvery metallic diaphragm. That is normally the speaker, but a transducer is a transducer.

If you pull this unit out of the handset and flip it over, there are two very obvious screw terminals. Wire those up to any guitar cable - you can strip one end and leave the 1/4" plug on the other. Then just plug it into a DI box. You're done. I am sure there are things you could do circuit-wise to improve it, but I don't know what they are and I can say that it works with just two wires.

It was a long time ago that I learned this trick, but I seem to recall the guy who showed it to me said that using the MIC as the microphone was a lot more work.

in addition to "phone" stuff, it is also good for 'robot voice' stuff and sometimes I even plug it into a guitar amp and mic the speaker.

Mounting it back inside the telephone handset is just for fun.

I am looking at mine right now - I used one of those coily guitar cords so it would look like a coily phone cord (only longer) I snaked my cable through the phone set's stress relief so it looks all 'official'

(except for the part where I have to talk into the "Ear" )

looking at it now, I bet I could have worked a little harder and either crammed the earpiece into the space meant for the mic, or flipped the handset over and drilled a new hole to make it look like the coil came out of the 'bottom'.
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Head

Thanks, joeq.
I appreciate all the info. This is going to be a fun Sunday afternoon project.
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Head

to joeq

I was wondering if you could elaborate a little on your experiences with this microphone. What a great idea!

Have you used it on strictly vocal stuff or did you ever mic up a guitar cabinet with it? More input please....

It does seem like a logical way to go to achieve that 'telephone' sound...you seem to hear that everywhere these days.

Last edited by Jaymes G; 27th September 2007 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymes G View Post
I was wondering if you could elaborate a little on your experiences with this microphone. What a great idea!

Have you used it on strictly vocal stuff or did you ever mic up a guitar cabinet with it? More input please....

It does seem like a logical way to go to achieve that 'telephone' sound...you seem to hear that everywhere these days.
I never miced up a guitar cabinet or a drum set with it, just used it in some "silly" applications on vocals.

I have had rappers use it for skits, and this comedy writer I work with has used it on a couple of tunes.

I have plugged it into a guitar amp - I just plug it straight in, without the DI - and then miced up the speaker to get an even more filtered sound.

I suppose it would be worth a shot to try it in a wider variety of applications.

If it turns out to be TOO low-fi for you, you might be interested in the Copperphone mic. Judging from the posted samples, it has that same band-limited tone, but a nice clarity at the same time.
Old 6th November 2007
Here for the gear

I'm looking into doing this as well...

anyone got a pic of the innards on this? plus...guess I need to get a phone, so the wife dosen't yell at me for breaking ours. =P
Old 6th November 2007
Lives for gear

record with a 57/58 that has been through years of abuse, dont clean out the foam all that tobacco in there will help and a bit of rust on the grill can be good aswell, then beat someone with to get a bit of blood on the mic as it adds to the sound, and then crush it with Di-Fi/Low-Fi and enjoy the crappyness

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search