The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors - does age matter? Studio Monitors
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

Monitors - does age matter?

I'm looking at some used monitors and wondering how old is too old? Assuming average use without any continuous extreme volumes, how old is too old?

Would 8 year old Mackie 824s be too old? Is there a cut off point where monitors are just not worth it any more?

Thanks
Old 13th September 2007

8 years is nothing.

20 years and I'd be looking at the surround to see if it was starting to deteriorate....

-tINY

Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Age is not kind to the rubber surrounds on most woofers. I have had to replace these on a an old pair of Tannoy 6.5s and a set of Bose 601 series II home speakers. Other than that, I can't think of anything that would go bad. I have two pairs of HR824s that are almost 10 years old and they are still going strong with no issues.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Good point I've been thinking of this exact thing.

I have a pair of Tannoy PBM-8 II for about 10 years now. Is there such a thing as tuning or calibrating your speakers, replacing the surrounds etc... would I just contact a Tannoy vendor and ask to tune/calibrate my speakers.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know what there would to calibrate in a Tannoy PBM8-II. You can order surround foam replacement kits on line from variuous vendors. I purchased my Tannoy PBM 6.5 srround kits from here:

Woofer Repair: Do-it-Yourself Speaker foam repair Kits

THey even send you a DVD or VHS (your choice) to show you how to do it, that is really pretty easy to follow.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Generally no, speakers last for a long time.

One manufacturer took a pair of speakers from 10 or 13 (can't remember.. this was in Stereophile or some such) and measured them in an anechoic chamber against the same speaker new, and they were virtually the same.

Personally, I'm amazed at how well they age. I'd figure they'd deteriorate much faster, considering they move a lot and all.

Buying used monitors, if they are of good quality can make good sense. Are these monitors you're looking at active or passive? Amplifier design, as well as cross-over design has improved over the years for sure.

Which are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotomotor View Post
I'm looking at some used monitors and wondering how old is too old? Assuming average use without any continuous extreme volumes, how old is too old?

Would 8 year old Mackie 824s be too old? Is there a cut off point where monitors are just not worth it any more?

Thanks
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

I have a pair of JBL L100's that are still going strong. Of course I don't have an anechoic chamber and a "new" pair to test them against, and they are my second reference, but they still sound pretty good.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

....agree with all above, and with the 20-year thing:

My mid-80es JBL 350es (1 passive, 1 active sub) are finally showing their age after I used one of them as a sub in my Dolby Surround system. Maybe it was just the war movies heh, but I think it was time for the rubber to die, perhaps helped by the humid Washington DC climate. But, as always, if you love a speaker enough, there will usually be someone out there who can re-do them.

Best,
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Old Speakers

Yes some of the surrounds do wear out with age .
I have a couple of mid 70 boxes stil kicking ass and still hold up audio wise as well.

God help me if I fry anything I'm SOL even from the manufacture as well.
Good speaker will allways hold up as they age a good design don't wear out might have to be fixed from time to time
James
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Yeah, I sure hope age doesn't matter. Mine are a few months shy of 30 years old. JBL L50s. I just refoamed them last week. To replace them now I'd probably have to spend 4 grand. As crisp as ever but that's what I like.
Old 14th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorfuture View Post
Generally no, speakers last for a long time.

Buying used monitors, if they are of good quality can make good sense. Are these monitors you're looking at active or passive? Amplifier design, as well as cross-over design has improved over the years for sure.

Which are you looking at?
I was originally looking at som new Yam HS80M's, but the price is about the same as used HR824's I see on ebay or in the gear forum. For small home studio either would be good, but my concern was whether buying 8+ year old mackies would be the equivalent of new Yams in terms of sound quality. The other problem is that you never know how used monitors were treated (and most used monitors I've seen look beat-up).
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

I also have a pair of J.B.L. 100's which I bought new in '78 and are still going strong. I replaced the deteriorated foam grills years ago with the factory cloth replacement inserts, so, they look as new to this day.
On a whim one day I replaced the woofer on one of them with an Altec guitar speaker and tried it using my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe as power amp. I ran my Taylor 410 CE thought it, cranked it and hit the low strings hard. It sounded loud and tight,and there was no "hi fi" speaker break up. So If you happen to have a set that you're thinking about getting rid of, you might consider this mod just to have an inconpicuous looking set of P.A. speakers in your studio. I'm anxious to hear what they sound like in this manor coupled with a powered P.A head. I'm thinking they might be "sleepers" as they're built like brick S--- houses.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Closet View Post
I think it was time for the rubber to die, perhaps helped by the humid Washington DC climate.,
My best guess is that arid climates are worse for rubber than humid ones.

I'd also guess that ozone and smog are even worse.

There are some really old guitar amps running old drivers.

Not with rubber surrounds, though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search