The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ FILTER ON MY PRE??? BAD OR GOOD Single-Channel Preamps
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

EQ FILTER ON MY PRE??? BAD OR GOOD

Eq Questions For Vocals Reguarding My Preamp
OK. I HAVE A CHAMELEON LABS PRE AMP THAT HAS THE OPTION OF EQ ON IT AND I WAS WONDERING IF I SET THE FILTER ON IT TO 80HZ OR 160 HZ AM I GONA MAKE IT HARDER TO EQ LATER. DOES THIS FILTER DO ME BAD OR GOOD FOR RECORDING VOCALS
HERE ARE THE SPECS FOR MY PRE

Equalizer Section (Selectable 3 band design with a flexible filter section)

Filter - This is a high pass filter with 3db loss at 300Hz, 160Hz, 80Hz, and 50Hz with an 18db cut per octave slope.

Low Equalization - This section has a shelving slope with four frequency selections: 220Hz, 110Hz, 60Hz, and 35Hz. This equalizer affects the selected frequency and all others below it. The gain control provides 20db of boost or cut.

Mid Equalization - This section has a peaking characteristic with six frequency selections: 360Hz, 700Hz, 1.6k, 3.2k, 4.8k, and 7.2k. The gain control provides 20db of boost or cut.

High Equalization - This section has a shelving characteristic with five frequency selections: 16k, 12k, 7k, 4.9k and 3.4k. This section adjusts the selected frequency and all others above it. The gain control provides 20db of boost or cut.

Model 7602 Features

Fully balanced transformer mic and line inputs
Balanced XLR output
Hi-Z direct input for instruments on the front panel
48VDC phantom power switch
180 degree phase reversal switch
20 position gold contact ELMA rotary gain switch for both Mic and Line sections
Output level control functions as a fader when going straight to tape
Oversize power supply provides many times the current needed for optimum sound quality and will power two units
One-year warranty
Electronics

By employing classic circuit design, polystyrene capacitors, a gold contact ELMA gain selector and custom wound transformers, Chameleon Labs ensures that the Model 7602 will exhibit classic audio sound.

The Model 7602 has a transformer balanced input with a range between 20dB and 80 dB of gain. The separate line input is transformer balanced and accepts input levels from -20 to +10dB.

The CPS-1 (sold separately) is a 1U rack mountable regulated, toroidal power supply for the 7602 and is required for operation of the unit. The CPS-1 features the ability to supply power to two 7602 units for dual channel operation.
SHOULD I BYPASS THE EQ OR IS IT A NICE THING TO PLAY WITH TO ATTEMP A GOOD SOUND. WHAT IS YOUR TAKE.
SO FAR WHEN I RECORD WITH IT ON SOMETHING JUST DOES NOT FEELRIGHT ABOUT THE END PRODUCT. I HAVE BEEN SETTING THE FILTER TO 80 MOST OF THE TIME MAYBE SOMETIMES EXPEREMENTING WITH THE 160HZ CUT
Old 13th September 2007

If there is no content below 80 Hz, why not filter it out. Often it reduces rumble and plosives, which can overload or modulate the pre-amp....

-tINY

Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

yeah but

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

If there is no content below 80 Hz, why not filter it out. Often it reduces rumble and plosives, which can overload or modulate the pre-amp....

-tINY
look at the curve on that cut. would it not be better to roll off freqs below that insted of cut at a 18 db per octave cut. it seems like it would be better to roll off lows around 120 so that way if you need to do a minor boost around 250 you can keep some bottom and power to the voice. i always felt a direct cut at 80 or 160 thinned out the vocals. maybe i have not trained my ears to be good to me. i just need lots of opinions
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
look at the curve on that cut. would it not be better to roll off freqs below that insted of cut at a 18 db per octave cut. it seems like it would be better to roll off lows around 120 so that way if you need to do a minor boost around 250 you can keep some bottom and power to the voice. i always felt a direct cut at 80 or 160 thinned out the vocals. maybe i have not trained my ears to be good to me. i just need lots of opinions
I didn't really follow what you were saying 100%, but I think you have a good idea of what you want to achieve and if this eq does it for ya, then go with it!

Perhaps you feel like a cut at 80 or 160 thinned out the vocals because of inaccurate monitoring? I don't know your room or anything like that, but I don't typically feel that an 80hz cut makes vocals thin.

Like I said though, if you know what you want then by any means necessary make it happen! Just because I don't think an 80hz cut sounds thin, if it does to you then don't do it! They key in this scenario is you!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.sawicki View Post
I didn't really follow what you were saying 100%, but I think you have a good idea of what you want to achieve and if this eq does it for ya, then go with it!

Perhaps you feel like a cut at 80 or 160 thinned out the vocals because of inaccurate monitoring? I don't know your room or anything like that, but I don't typically feel that an 80hz cut makes vocals thin.

Like I said though, if you know what you want then by any means necessary make it happen! Just because I don't think an 80hz cut sounds thin, if it does to you then don't do it! They key in this scenario is you!
maybe that is what i am hearing. bad acoustics.. i have some aurelex up and in the right spots maybe i need more. the room is 12 x 12 ,bass traps and all. i mean the 80 herts cut is nice and still is alittle boomy. it was the 160 thats flat. i probably should of said that but i always thought rolling off lows was more of a correct and accurate way to do it. maybe i just analyze what people say to much.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
maybe that is what i am hearing. bad acoustics.. i have some aurelex up and in the right spots maybe i need more. the room is 12 x 12 ,bass traps and all. i mean the 80 herts cut is nice and still is alittle boomy. it was the 160 thats flat. i probably should of said that but i always thought rolling off lows was more of a correct and accurate way to do it. maybe i just analyze what people say to much.
I'm not necessarily saying you should treat your room, but just making a note that you may have inaccuracies that leading you to hear incorrectly. It's completely impossible for me know what your rig is like without being there.

I tend to mix my lows in my vocals down because I prefer that, so I typically low cut into the 200's. I've been moving more down the spectrum lately, but I don't feel I have a mic that really captures the lows in such a way that I find pleasant yet.

Anyways... take what I say with a grain of salt, this whole thing is more about what you feel is right, not what people tell you is right.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

every perception counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.sawicki View Post
I'm not necessarily saying you should treat your room, but just making a note that you may have inaccuracies that leading you to hear incorrectly. It's completely impossible for me know what your rig is like without being there.

I tend to mix my lows in my vocals down because I prefer that, so I typically low cut into the 200's. I've been moving more down the spectrum lately, but I don't feel I have a mic that really captures the lows in such a way that I find pleasant yet.

Anyways... take what I say with a grain of salt, this whole thing is more about what you feel is right, not what people tell you is right.
i do appreciate your opinion. just the fact that you said that you cut yours into 200 answers my original question to a point. i was just concerned i was doing it all wrong and no one was telling me about the pre amp i had but dude if your cutting yours into 200 ,and i have heard alot of people doing that exspecialy when they have a sure sm7 then i should stop trying to see how others do it. cause mine is alwasy different. i was just hoping to find a short cut or a new technique or something i mean i am getting a good sound but i alson have to realize that with a at4040 and a pair of rockit 5's i may not be able to record or listen to things the way i hear them in my head. i do thank you though

MySpace.com - Feedback productions - Kansas City, US - Hip Hop / Indie / Rap - www.myspace.com/feedbackproductions
i support lyrical poetic artist reguardless of genre
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi

Not that I really use gear myself but I would suggest either 50 or 80Hz filter so that it does get rid of rumble but still gives the possibility of some recovery post recording which could either carefully boost or cut further as needed. I am assuming there is no real material at either 50 or 80Hz
Matt S
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:

any room with equal dimensions is going to suffer with bad acoustics.

Try building a wall up in front of one of the walls so the room is less resonant.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search