The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new to recording DAW Software
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

Question new to recording

i am totally new to sound recording anything and i'm looking to get some basic amateur gear to record me playing my guitar. can anyone give me some feedback on types of gear i should look into getting?
thanks, kyle
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
i am totally new to sound recording anything and i'm looking to get some basic amateur gear to record me playing my guitar. can anyone give me some feedback on types of gear i should look into getting?
thanks, kyle
if you're brand new to this I would really suggest getting a digital 4 or 8 track from Yamaha or Roland or Fostex and a simple and inexpensive micrphone like an SM57.
If you jump into anything more sophisticated I'm afraid you may spend more time upgrading and learning gear than recording guitar. I would be willing to bet that most everyone here began with a tape 4 track in their bedroom.

Of course though your interest may lie more in learning recording, in that case I would still recommend getting a 4 track and learning the basics and start reading books, forums and getting classes or instruction.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia_nb View Post
I would be willing to bet that most everyone here began with a tape 4 track in their bedroom.
+1 on that for me!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

WHAT EVER YOU DO

dO NOT GO TO THE GUYS AT guitarcenter WHEN YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD GET. YOU WILL LEAVE THERE BROKE AND HEADED IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. UNLESS YOU HAVE ALOT OF MONEY THEN YOU WILL LEAVE BROKE WITH SOME AWSOME GEAR YOU HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO WORK. RESEARCH THE **** OUTA EQUIPMENT BEFORE YOU BUY IT AND DONT BE BLINDED BY FLASHING LIGHT AND COOL VU METERS
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
dO NOT GO TO THE GUYS AT guitarcenter WHEN YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD GET. YOU WILL LEAVE THERE BROKE AND HEADED IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. UNLESS YOU HAVE ALOT OF MONEY THEN YOU WILL LEAVE BROKE WITH SOME AWSOME GEAR YOU HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO WORK. RESEARCH THE **** OUTA EQUIPMENT BEFORE YOU BUY IT AND DONT BE BLINDED BY FLASHING LIGHT AND COOL VU METERS
I will second that!!!! But there are places like Front End Audio Front End Audio | Your Ultimate Pro Audio Dealer | 888-228-4530 that actually CARE about there customers and will get you heading in the right direction. Warren from FEA hangs here on the board from time to time. Great guy.

Glenn
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Um... Guitar Center is a just fine place to buy gear.

If you had a bad experience because you bought gear that you weren't ready to use, that's a problem on your end.

Quote:
YOU WILL LEAVE THERE BROKE AND HEADED IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. UNLESS YOU HAVE ALOT OF MONEY THEN YOU WILL LEAVE BROKE WITH SOME AWSOME GEAR YOU HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO WORK.
I always leave there with the same amount of money I intended to leave with, and with gear that intended to purchase.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Also, do your best to research what you need. Try before you buy if at all possible.
I am sure many of us have all-in-one magic boxes that never did do any one thing particularly well. You are gonna make mistakes.

And, for guitar noodling, beginner stuff, I still think one of those cassette or MD portastudios are a great way to start. You can worry about staring at waveforms later

-D
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.sawicki View Post
Um... Guitar Center is a just fine place to buy gear.

If you had a bad experience because you bought gear that you weren't ready to use, that's a problem on your end.

I always leave there with the same amount of money I intended to leave with, and with gear that intended to purchase.
The only thing I agree with is GC and it's ilk arent really places to ask questions. They are trying to sell you stuff. Just like I wouldnt go to a car dealer saying "Yes, I am looking to buy a car..yep..any car"heh

-D
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREMORS View Post
The only thing I agree with is GC and it's ilk arent really places to ask questions. They are trying to sell you stuff. Just like I wouldnt go to a car dealer saying "Yes, I am looking to buy a car..yep..any car"heh

-D
I hear ya, for me GC is great. My rep will get me whatever I need and do it for a price that I find reasonable. I don't go to him for system consultation very often, but if I do, I know exactly what we're looking for and mainly just asking advice.

And your thing about the car dealer is exactly what I'm talking about. If you go in there without a clue in the world and pocketful of money, then you'll probably leave without a clue in the world and no money.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew.sawicki View Post
And your thing about the car dealer is exactly what I'm talking about. If you go in there without a clue in the world and pocketful of money, then you'll probably leave without a clue in the world and no money.
We're on the same page.thumbsup

-D
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I would suggest going beyond the 4 track to start. I started with Cubase SE and was glad I did. My suggestion would be a $50 sounblaster in your pc, a cheap mixer going into that soundcard(start learning your ins and outs) and an sm57. Then I'd go for a program like Reaper. It has a learning curve but isn't bad and for around $40 it's hard to beat for a beginner. I started with a similar set up which taught me quite a bit for when I was ready to upgrade.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
I would suggest going beyond the 4 track to start. I started with Cubase SE and was glad I did. My suggestion would be a $50 sounblaster in your pc, a cheap mixer going into that soundcard(start learning your ins and outs) and an sm57. Then I'd go for a program like Reaper. It has a learning curve but isn't bad and for around $40 it's hard to beat for a beginner. I started with a similar set up which taught me quite a bit for when I was ready to upgrade.
I agree that a 4 track won't be the end of your gear purchases, and any solution that works for a price that's right is fine for this situation.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

I myself started out with Pro Tools LE. However I was enrolled in a recording program at a local college. I am still learning about all kinds of stuff, the best thing to do is just fiddle with things.

Mistakes may end up teaching you a whole lot more than you think. These guys will point you in the right direction.

Respect.
Nick
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

What are your goals and budget? What other things are you looking to record besides your guitar? Do you think that your goals may expand over the next year?
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Addict

whatever system you choose to buy for recording (4 track,8track, 16 track, PC or Mac) make sure you have a quality PREAMP in your chain. I still use my Grace 101 on my acoustic, and it made the single most improvement in my recording, mixes, and playing. YOu are gonna buy one eventually, research and get one you like now.

Learn how to use a microphone as well, adjusting the gain of the pre, mic placement, the room your in, and recording level is crucial to a good sound.

A/B everthing - play a riff, record, then change a variable like the gain of the pre, mic placement, or recording level, strumming intensity of your playing. You will learn to play a better guitar by recording.

Get the sound you want before recording a whole song, cause you dont want to have to redo everthing a 100 times. Remember : **** in/**** out
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search