The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode NT1a pair For Overheads? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Rode NT1a pair For Overheads?

I already have one Rode NT1a for recording Vocals / Instruments, and was considering making it a pair and using them for overheads. However I have an average room with average to crappy acoustics and I have heard large diaphragm mics are not good for this situation?

I'd basically like to know if its a silly idea to double my NT1a for overheads? It would be nice, but I'd rather spend a bit more on a separate pair, IF these aren't suitable for the situation I'm using them in. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

You can record overheads in mono to see if you like the sound of that mic. Mono overhead can be nice.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Never tried it, but I'd guess they'll be a little harsh. Could be eq-able though.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

I forgot to mention I'm using them in a 4 mic setup (2xOH 1xsnare 1xkick). So I would prefer a pair to give the stereo image.

Thanks for the info lowfreq - I may not waste my time with the large diaphragm then..

Max cooper - that is an idea, however I would prefer to however decide on a OH Mic pair before next week as I'm getting a drummer in to experiment with the sounds we can get and I'd prefer to be able to experiment with a stereo pair from the get go. I think it may be a good idea though to do a mono test.

Anyone know of any pairs I can get for around 500-700$ USD? I'm planning on recording styles including: pop, pop/rock, rock, folk.

Thanks again!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have actually used a pair of those as overheads in a pretty crappy room and was pleasantly surprised at the results. I recorded a blues band and had a very limited number of channels so I miced the drums with just those 2 mics, nothing else. I put some EQ and some Massey Tapehead on it, ran them through a pretty nice outboard compressor, and ended up with a pretty full, nicely balanced representation of the drums, with kik, snare, toms, and cymbals all where they should be. So don't count them out completely, if thats what you have, they definitely can work.

Cheers!
-Mike
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

NT1a's are definitely too bright for me, ESPECIALLY if you'd be relying on them for a significant part of the overall kit sound (ie not just cymbals, on which even then they wouldn't be amazing).
Old 31st January 2018
Gear Addict

I have one lying about.

I'll try it shortly with this setup as a mono drum mic as OH and in front of the kit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search