The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
On the subject of microphones Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

On the subject of microphones

So, yea, I can name a few that are AWESOME! Awesomely expensive, too... Such as the Rode K2 would slick as hell if only I had 700 bucks to put into this. I know that the SM58 is a great mic for performing, I don't know about recording...

Lemme know, tho. I sure as hell don't wanna go the same old MXL 990 route that every bootlegged recorder goes... I want flat response, as flat as I can get for cheap... I don't care if it needs phantom power or not... I'd like it to be for vocals, tho, hehe, I don't wanna record with a snare drum mic...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

cmon. do a search. the horse has been beaten unrecognizable at this point.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Avoid AKG and Berhinger. Those are two I can attest to their awful sound qualities.

Groove tubes mades some reasonably priced mics that I think sound pretty good.
Sennheiser has some really decent dynamics. some of the oktava's are cool, especially with the mods that are available for them.
Old 13th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

Dude, I can tell you that anybody with any size budget could benefit from owning one or six of the CAD M179. It's under $200 and offers a basically flat response with very extended low end, variable patterns and pad. It is the most no-brainer microphone I've ever used in my life and it is truly crazy what you get for that price.

My $.02

War
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Warren pushes the hell out of the M179 (he does sell them after all), and it's a little shameless, but in this case he's right. One of the best $200 mics out there.

And not all AKG's are crap. The C4000 is pretty great, C414's are always good, C451's are great, C12's rock (yes, even the newer ones), D112 is pretty much standard on kick, D880's are great for live vocals. Don't judge the entire company by the C3000 or the C1000. Everyone has to have a budget line.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Damn, this is definitely low end...dfegad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search