The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chameleon Labs EQ good enough for mixbuss duties? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Talking Chameleon Labs EQ good enough for mixbuss duties?

Hey Low Enders( ME),

I wanted to know if anyone has tried doing serious mixes using the Chameleon Labs PRe/EQ on the mixbuss? I have heard the EQ is very good but the Pre Scratchy in tone and just OK. If I come into the unit line level and use a stereo pair of the EQ's how is the sound fidelity? Thanks for any help.

By the way does anyone know if the Stereo Compressor they are touting is coming soon is a actual unit on it's way or vaporware? I hope this comp blows the Compressor market wide open!

Jazztone
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't really think it's a good idea. Everytime I've tried a Neve or Nevesque eq on my 2 mix it's lacked the functionality and control I'd need for something on my 2 mix. I don't know anyone that commonly uses it for that functon and I believe there's a good reason why. Also, personally I don't consider the Neve stuff a jack of all trades as many of my peers do. I like it's mid range and mainly for guitar based tracks. It's shouldn't be too difficult to buy a pair with a trial return period.

You can find out more info on the compressor off their site here:

Chameleon Labs 7720
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

2nd that.

It is a good EQ but I wouldn't use it (and many other good EQ's) on the mix bus.

The pre isn't that bad actually, I haven't had any problems tracking through it or mixing stuff tracked with them, although I do prefer better pre's to it.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

The EQ is good sounding, but I'm not sure I would put it on the 2-bus. It's awfully colored. Look at something like the new A Desigsn Hammer, which isn't so heavy handed despite its name.

Brad
Old 12th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

Eh, in that application it would only be useful for the slightest of adjustment in my opinion. Like for small shelf adjustments up top and down bottom it could be made to work OK. I wouldn't buy it for this purpose.

War
Old 12th September 2007
bricks

Hey War,

Please excuse the off topicness, but what's up with those bricks creaping up your avatar? Those aren't "purity bricks", are they?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

All and all it's just a....
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks everybody for the feedback!

Jazztone
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I HAVE ONE

HOW WOULD I ROUT JUST THE EQ TO A BUSS TRACK.
THE EQ I HAVE NOTICED IS OFFELLY COLORED HERE ARE THE SPEC FOR THAT EQ

Equalizer Section (Selectable 3 band design with a flexible filter section)

Filter - This is a high pass filter with 3db loss at 300Hz, 160Hz, 80Hz, and 50Hz with an 18db cut per octave slope.

Low Equalization - This section has a shelving slope with four frequency selections: 220Hz, 110Hz, 60Hz, and 35Hz. This equalizer affects the selected frequency and all others below it. The gain control provides 20db of boost or cut.

Mid Equalization - This section has a peaking characteristic with six frequency selections: 360Hz, 700Hz, 1.6k, 3.2k, 4.8k, and 7.2k. The gain control provides 20db of boost or cut.

High Equalization - This section has a shelving characteristic with five frequency selections: 16k, 12k, 7k, 4.9k and 3.4k. This section adjusts the selected frequency and all others above it. The gain control provides 20db of boost or cut.

Model 7602 Features

Fully balanced transformer mic and line inputs
Balanced XLR output
Hi-Z direct input for instruments on the front panel
48VDC phantom power switch
180 degree phase reversal switch
20 position gold contact ELMA rotary gain switch for both Mic and Line sections
Output level control functions as a fader when going straight to tape
Oversize power supply provides many times the current needed for optimum sound quality and will power two units
One-year warranty
Electronics

By employing classic circuit design, polystyrene capacitors, a gold contact ELMA gain selector and custom wound transformers, Chameleon Labs ensures that the Model 7602 will exhibit classic audio sound.

The Model 7602 has a transformer balanced input with a range between 20dB and 80 dB of gain. The separate line input is transformer balanced and accepts input levels from -20 to +10dB.

The CPS-1 (sold separately) is a 1U rack mountable regulated, toroidal power supply for the 7602 and is required for operation of the unit. The CPS-1 features the ability to supply power to two 7602 units for dual channel operation.
SHOULD I BYPASS THE EQ OR IS IT A NICE THING TO PLAY WITH TO ATTEMP A GOOD SOUND. WHAT IS YOUR TAKE.
SO FAR WHEN I RECORD WITH IT ON SOMETHING JUST DOES NOT FEELRIGHT ABOUT THE END PRODUCT. I HAVE BEEN SETTING THE FILTER TO 80 MOST OF THE TIME MAYBE SOMETIMES EXPEREMENTING WITH THE 160HZ CUT
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Nut

Please excuse the amateurishness here, but...

Am I right in assuming mixbuss is simply your "main mix", or "Left and Right fader/s"? And therefore by using an EQ or Compressor on the mixbuss, aren't you effectively just mastering as you mix? Obviously you are making an adjustment to the whole mix and that's mastering correct?

Is it common practice to use a mixbuss compressor or EQ or is it something you do only when the track won't be mastered afterwards?

Sorry to take it right back to the basics!

Cheers guys,
Old 10th October 2007
Gear Nut

bump
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
Please excuse the amateurishness here, but...

Am I right in assuming mixbuss is simply your "main mix", or "Left and Right fader/s"?
In this case, yes. A lot of people don't like the term "Stereo bus" because it doesn't technically include surround mixing or even mixing for mono. 2 mix, the stereo bus, main mix... all pretty much the same depending on context, although some terms aren't as accurate.

Quote:
And therefore by using an EQ or Compressor on the mixbuss, aren't you effectively just mastering as you mix?
Somewhere a mastering engineer just broke out in a cold sweat and can't explain why.

Quote:
Obviously you are making an adjustment to the whole mix and that's mastering correct?
Joking aside, there's a significant amount more to it than that to be considered mastering. Water-marking references, entering ISRC codes and making DDP masters , etc... Some engineers use eq's or other processing on the main mix bus to compensate for the media they are printing to. When I print to 1/2 inch, I love the airband on the NTI eq because it exaggerates my top end going to tape nicely and seems to give the media a little more on top that it normally has. Some people prefer to treat their stereo mix, and some do not.

Quote:
Is it common practice to use a mixbuss compressor or EQ or is it something you do only when the track won't be mastered afterwards?

Sorry to take it right back to the basics!

Cheers guys,
This is a can of worms the search function could scratch the surface of.
Old 10th October 2007
KEL
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
You can find out more info on the compressor off their site here:

Chameleon Labs 7720
Thanks. looks interesting. Not dual mono though ala RNC
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
Thanks. looks interesting. Not dual mono though ala RNC
Yeah... Stereo only unless you get a second unit and only use the left channel. Sortah like the SSL compressor, eh?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search