The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why I buy used tape.....
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Why I buy used tape.....

I've been buying up old reels of 2" for demos etc. I just got a batch of stuff from Philadelphia recorded at various studios like Alpha, etc. Man this stuff sounds good. It's all from the early 80's and most of the reels are for an artist named Brandy Wells. For 1 she was a killer singer and for 2. the production is great. The sounds are so killer. Most of the names on the tapes are Jim, James, Tim & Butch Ingrams. Another engineer is named Rick Wilson. Anyway, if any of you guys are out there....you made some great recordings. I'm gonna keep a few reels for training new guys on.
So for you guys looking for cheap used 2" (hence my placement in this forum..the low end) listen to the stuff first, you might like what you hear.

I'll possibly post some quick mixes on the MP3 forum.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

nice
Old 11th September 2007
I hope you're not buying yourself extra maintenance headaches by buying such old tape. Have you done the, ha ha, scotch tape test?

It can be a real eye-opener.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well, 1 other cool thing about buying old tape....learning to bake the tape!
Old 11th September 2007
Old 12th September 2007
Here for the gear
Baking it...

...I've heard the stories, what is the practice? I have a feeling I'm going to be buying some used tape myself in the future - 1/2" - and would appreciate any tips/advice on how to, when to, that sort of thing...

Thanks...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just search "baking tape" and you'll have a million answers. I myself use my Maytag Gemini (the double stove) the top (small) stove has a warming setting that is 145 (alternates between the little grilly things so is pretty contant) which is a littlke warm, but seems to work fine. I flip every hour for 8 hours. Then I let it cool down for the same amount of time (i've heard 4 hours is fine though).
It works.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

how cool would it be if you could mix some of that stuff and send it to her.

Glenn
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well from what I see on the net..she died a couple years ago.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1117 View Post
I've been buying up old reels of 2" for demos etc. I just got a batch of stuff from Philadelphia recorded at various studios like Alpha, etc. Man this stuff sounds good. It's all from the early 80's and most of the reels are for an artist named Brandy Wells. For 1 she was a killer singer and for 2. the production is great. The sounds are so killer. Most of the names on the tapes are Jim, James, Tim & Butch Ingrams. Another engineer is named Rick Wilson. Anyway, if any of you guys are out there....you made some great recordings. I'm gonna keep a few reels for training new guys on.
So for you guys looking for cheap used 2" (hence my placement in this forum..the low end) listen to the stuff first, you might like what you hear.

I'll possibly post some quick mixes on the MP3 forum.
Thats awesome....... MAN you have / work at a Beautiful studio!.......makes me want to die young!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent-sam View Post
Thats awesome....... MAN you have / work at a Beautiful studio!.......makes me want to die young!
Well thanks very much. Actually it's pretty simple, but I love audio and recording and spend way more than I should given my market and limited personal funds.
But I tell ya, listening to those tapes makes me feel real small, those sounds they got were so damn good and pure. I actually was telling a friend today. That just the crappy little quick volume mix I did with those great tracks sounded waaay better than anything on the radio today. ANALOG IS KING...GOOD ARANGEMENTS ARE KING.........GOOD TALENT IS KING. I've been around some good record making, but something just struck a nerve. They were using all the old techniques (well new then). I'll try to post some audio tonight.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search