The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio UAD-1 Audio Interfaces
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Universal Audio UAD-1

What do you guys think of this card and the ProjectPak? I don't need much. Just some plugs to help me mix-down in Live. Since I am running an older Powermac DP, I can definitely use the help on the DSP end of things, hence my reason for looking at this first. Any thoughts?
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Totally awesome! You will be blown away by them, especially the Plate 140.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

It's done then. Thanks for the input.

Quick question. How many plugs can one card run?

And I can buy more plug-ins after buying the initial pack, correct? I ask because I am only getting the Project Pak to begin with and then I will buy plug-ins as I see fit for my needs.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio.vanni View Post
Quick question. How many plugs can one card run?

And I can buy more plug-ins after buying the initial pack, correct? I ask because I am only getting the Project Pak to begin with and then I will buy plug-ins as I see fit for my needs.
I started out with a project pak and now have 2 cards and lots of the "extra plugs". By the way, the Neves are killer!. One card, with the plugs that are included, are a great way to get in the game. You will have an option to demo every other plug they offer for 14 days, so you can pick and choose what you want to download. Instances per card will vary depending on what plugs are in use at any one time. Most host applications will allow you to freeze or print tracks so you can utilize more instances on the UAD-1. I love the plugins personally, so go ahead spoil yer selfthumbsup

Craig
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay in Wait View Post
I started out with a project pak and now have 2 cards and lots of the "extra plugs". By the way, the Neves are killer!. One card, with the plugs that are included, are a great way to get in the game. You will have an option to demo every other plug they offer for 14 days, so you can pick and choose what you want to download. Instances per card will vary depending on what plugs are in use at any one time. Most host applications will allow you to freeze or print tracks so you can utilize more instances on the UAD-1. I love the plugins personally, so go ahead spoil yer selfthumbsup

Craig
Awesome Craig. That's exactly what I [wanted] to heard. =)
Old 11th September 2007
Agreed, it's phenomenal... I had no problem running tons of instances of dreamverbs, plates, 1176 and la2as, probably 35 instances ish... But I heard from another friend of mine that his UAD-1e couldn't handle more than 3-4 1176LNs before it started to bog down...
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

+101 on the UAD-1!!

Definitely worth getting into, although right away I found the project pak wasn't enough, and wanted more plugs as soon as I could get em'

Not to say that the basic project pak bundle doesn't have any utility... I find the 1176SE and Nigel are pretty darn good.

I would say however, if you want to start with one UAD-1, look for one of the Mackie ones, because they already came with the awesome 1176 and LA2A comps, as well as they rest of the basic plugs. Very good value.

I confess I have had some minor issues with running my 2 cards with Sonar, but was able to sort them out, and now am enjoying relative stability with these fantastic sounding plugins...nice

Like everybody else says... check 'em out... you'll probably like them

Best regards,
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Don't wait another minute. Just buy it and love it now.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear
+1 on the lovefest here. Get the Mackie card used so you have the excellent 1176LN and LA2A plugs. These are the two most essential plugs for the card, in my opinion.
Old 11th September 2007
Deleted 86c3d96
Latency

I just don't care for the latency very much, and I have a pretty durn good setup. When I got the UAD-1e a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to test it on live sounds just to play with it, and the latency on a Mac Pro Quad plus Apogee Ensemble made that impossible. Apple's own plugs have very low latency. Mind you, they are primarily going to be used for mixdown, but it is annoying, nevertheless. Yes, I am aware of the delay compensation plugin.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

The number of instances you can run depends on the sample rate you're recording at and which plug ins you're using. I recently started recording at 96 K and was a little bummed at the decrease in multiple instances... but they sound so good I just deal with it. It makes me mix like the analog days when you couldn't run 40 different effects on every channel. When I built my new DAW I told my wife that the UAD card was the single best investment in the system.
Old 11th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

There is info on the UA site that gives a general overview of instances that can be run. Just know that whether you buy the $399 card or a $2000 card the DSP power is the same.

War
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
There is info on the UA site that gives a general overview of instances that can be run.
Universal Audio | Support | UAD | Charts
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

+1 for the UAD lovebombing

Personally i like the cambridge eq and multiband compressor. Try them for 14 days and you are hooked!
Old 11th September 2007
They're the most important plugins I've ever used. These days there are quality plugins coming out from all directions, but for the unit-specific modelling, UA are surely top dog - and the prices/offers are incredible. They really know how to make you get your wallet out with all the discount deals they do from time to time too.

The Plate, LA-2A, Neve bundle, Roland/Boss and Precision Bundle plugs are all incredible.

Just be prepared to start shelling out for more cards, as one card is nothing but a tease.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

+1,000 for the UAD-1. I started a few years ago with one card, now I've got 4 and all the plugins. Besides a couple of "choice" pieces of analog gear to mix, the UAD-1 plugins are the only thing I need now, and they all serve their purposes, yes, even the Cambridge which seems to get ****ted on, the filters on that are pretty damn good.
Old 11th September 2007
If you need plugs for general mixing duties then I would say get the mackie version like already mentioned then just add the Neve strip. Can't go wrong with that.

Check here for info on the spcs:

Universal Audio | Digital Products | UAD-1 | Features & Specifications

The other great thing about UAD they're always doing v tempting offers every couple of months. So you can always get plugs and bundles at discounted offers.

Waves do regular discounts but not as much as UAD.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Besides all of their killer plugs.
You don't know how sweet it is, to deal with UA's customer support and all the free stuff you get.
From plug-in vouchers, money back per card, promos..... AWESOME!
It's how a company should be. IMO.
UA love all around!
Old 11th September 2007
+1 for the UAD. Have 2 cards and wanting another one.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Am a UAD user too and really love their software. It has a really superiour quality.
But I really hate the fact, that they don't build/sell chassis for their cards to use them with firewire or expresscard (for notebooks). Just for the users that already have their cards and their bunch of lovely plugins, this would be reaaaaal customer friendly...

ray

edit: and the mackie card is really the best choice ! get it, and you get em all !
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

UAD

I got THREE cards and I want MORE!!!!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

get it and love it!!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

i can but echo the above. the Neve 1073 plug is a revelation in the plugin world..
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have 3 cards and want another... Just got the LA3A for free... Nice $150 they gave me.. You don't see digidesign doing that.

I have the important plugs Pultec Pro, 1176, LA2A, 140, 670, 1081 but just got the 88RS last week.. and love that. I can run a lot of channels and get great tones with it..
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I got the flexi-pak, and with that I got something like $600 voucher towards more plugs. I was using one of the 14 day demos in a project. I pulled up the project, with the client there, saw that the demo had expired, went online, purchased the auth for the plug with my voucher, downloaded it and authorized it in about 3 minutes. They make it so easy it's rediculous. (Of course, I'm on a Mac, where everything's easy...)
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
Of course, I'm on a Mac, where everything's easy...
OK, that's 3 demerits for making this a platform "War".heh
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
OK, that's 3 demerits for making this a platform "War".heh
I'll take 'em.
Forgot to mention the Precision limiter, (non-multiband version) which seems to work great on acoustic guitars. And both Roland choruses are cool.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I love the Pultec and Fairchild... must haves for drums and guitars. With my 100$ I'm at a loss of what to buy...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I got a $200 voucher and instead of going for the "free" LA-3A I spent the extra money and bought the 88RS, I hope it's worth it... ha! of course it is worth it...

I love the Dimension D, but I am severely underwhelmed by the Roland Tape Echo and especially the Chorus. Maybe I just haven't found the right use for them yet, I don't do enough acid rock or something...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah...They give you enough rope to hang yourself don't they?

I got the free LA3A cause I didn't think there was anything else I wanted right now... I have all the cool stuff.. I want some of the Roland F/X but didn't think I'd grab it enough right now...I really need a 4th card.

I wish they'd set it up to run 8.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search