The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio UAD-1 Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
anyone use the new pci-e version?
wondering if the perfomance is any better
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post

Supposedly not, but I haven't tested it so I don't know first hand, the cards are supposed to be the same processor, etc.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Whoa, this thread blew up. It's settled then, I am ordering mine today. I am starting with the ProjektPak and buying plug-ins as I go along. I like having something to look forward to.
Old 13th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
Well in my earlier post I was really just talking about the PCI-e version versus the PCI version... My friend and I were running really reallly similar sessions, and my PCI version did far more plug-ins than his PCI-e version... I don't know if that's the fault of the card or not, but his computer was also newer and faster... same DAW...

I'm a bit worried since NOW i'm on a macpro and I was hoping to pick up the PCI-e version... but I don't want to be limited by it.... maybe a Nevana?
Old 13th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn View Post
Well in my earlier post I was really just talking about the PCI-e version versus the PCI version... My friend and I were running really reallly similar sessions, and my PCI version did far more plug-ins than his PCI-e version... I don't know if that's the fault of the card or not, but his computer was also newer and faster... same DAW...

I'm a bit worried since NOW i'm on a macpro and I was hoping to pick up the PCI-e version... but I don't want to be limited by it.... maybe a Nevana?
The cards are set up to run the same, it's more likely how the PC's handling the PCIe bus.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
The cards are set up to run the same, it's more likely how the PC's handling the PCIe bus.
Yeah I've been having better luck with the PCIe version, but I think it's just because my old G5 had the PCI chipset that was f*cked. No problems running two cards on my Mac Pro. As soon as Magma releases the 4u PCIe expander (and it's shown to work well) I'm going to get one or two more UAD-1s (third slot taken up by HD1 card).
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone done first-ear comparisons between the UAD plugs (like the Neves) and the Sonnox suite?

I'm in a dilemma between the Waves SSL, Sonnox, and UAD for my first major plugin purchase.

I'm running Cubase 4 on an Intel Mac dual-cpu dual-core 2GHz setup so I have a lot more processing power than whats on the UAD cards...
I really like the sound of the Waves SSL EQ and compressor, but the installation was a nightmare and then when my demo ran out Cubase refused to load any projects with the SSL plugins, Cubase would just fail to start - until I manually deleted all of the Waves crap. This 'experience' was enough to really sour me to the Waves solution.
The Sonnox demos, on the other hand, took about 2 minutes to install and authorize. What a joy in comparison.
Primarily I'm interested in channel strip features but I also need some mastering plugs and verb, which makes the Sonnox attractive from a feature standpoint.

Last edited by mmcfarlane; 18th September 2007 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: added more details on what I need
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear
you need channelstrip?

i love the uad neve 88r

(but i don´t know the ssl stuff)
Old 18th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcfarlane View Post
Anyone done first-ear comparisons between the UAD plugs (like the Neves) and the Sonnox suite?

I'm in a dilemma between the Waves SSL, Sonnox, and UAD for my first major plugin purchase.

I'm running Cubase 4 on an Intel Mac dual-cpu dual-core 2GHz setup so I have a lot more processing power than whats on the UAD cards...
I really like the sound of the Waves SSL EQ and compressor, but the installation was a nightmare and then when my demo ran out Cubase refused to load any projects with the SSL plugins, Cubase would just fail to start - until I manually deleted all of the Waves crap. This 'experience' was enough to really sour me to the Waves solution.
The Sonnox demos, on the other hand, took about 2 minutes to install and authorize. What a joy in comparison.
Primarily I'm interested in channel strip features but I also need some mastering plugs and verb, which makes the Sonnox attractive from a feature standpoint.
The thing is here these are all high quality plugs with enough vibe to get you great sounding mixes.

If I was i your position I would get the UAD (2 cards) with Channel strip, 1073, 1176, LA2A & Plate 140. You'll get the Pultec free (and probably some others with the vouchers). Then I would buy the Sony Oxford for surgical eq filtering, and probably the Limiter also. If you want a bus compressor, I would look to either PSP Master Comp (transparent) or Sonalksis SV15 (bit more analogue sounding) Or be a total slut and get the Waves SSL for the bus comp..job done!
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderboy View Post
you need channelstrip?

i love the uad neve 88r

(but i don´t know the ssl stuff)
OMG that Neve 88RS is blowing me away!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search