The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
China Production mics Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

China Production mics

Looking these vast asortment of mic lines out of China in the last few years
Ifigure the best 2 lines coming of thel ot of them are SE & Sontronics .
Anyone esle wanto add the 2 cents into this opinion ?
James
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

SE are a little different. They're made in china, but it's a chinese company, not an american company subcontracting their manufacturing to china. Original designs, no rebranding. I've used a few of their mics, really great for the price. Don't know much about sontronics, but they look interesting. At least they don't look like U87's.
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
SE are a little different. They're made in china, but it's a chinese company, not an american company subcontracting their manufacturing to china. Original designs, no rebranding. I've used a few of their mics, really great for the price. Don't know much about sontronics, but they look interesting. At least they don't look like U87's.
sE is actually a U.S. Company based out of California that has their own manufacturing facility in Shanghai and they build mics only for sE and sE only.
I sold them for a time and own a small collection of 7. Very Good mics for the price.
Here is an interesting link:
http://www.seelectronics.com/revpdfs...tory_Nov04.pdf
I cannot comment on the Sontronics at all.
I don't see where they are sold in the U.S.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

I saw a guy somewhere, probably here at Gearslutz, equating specific t.bone models with corresponding SE models (as well as with some third brand, I think). If others cannot immediately confirm that t.bone and SE products, to some extent, are the same, then let me see if I can track down the thread. I have no opionion myself about the matter.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

The AT 20 series are chinese made....I have a pair of 2020's, good build and consistency between them.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

SE electronics may be a US based company now, but I do believe that the Chinese factory where the microphones are made is Chinese owned, with a Chinese manager in charge, but this I don't know for sure.

What I do know is that these microphones now may be produced at a dedicated factory, but they were once coming from Feilo, one of the big Chinese microphone factories. As a matter of fact: this factory still has the right to produce SE microphones. The manager sent me a certificate that stated that......in Chinese, so I have to take his word for it.

I have seen shops over here selling SE with the older logo, the older models. I don't know if that's old stock, or new produced microphones under this certificate.

Regards,
John
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNote View Post
I saw a guy somewhere, probably here at Gearslutz, equating specific t.bone models with corresponding SE models (as well as with some third brand, I think). If others cannot immediately confirm that t.bone and SE products, to some extent, are the same, then let me see if I can track down the thread. I have no opionion myself about the matter.
Based on my time chatting and e-mailing with Bob Reardon and James Young of Sonic-Distribution, I can say that I have never heard them mention any connection with any other mic companies since their "break" with Feilo except for some minor limited-time project assistance for a friend of Siwei Zhou's that also ended soon after the Feilo "break".
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

This may have been covered in another thread.. but what about cost comparisons? Are we talking a 5% savings or a 25% savings?

-ScottyD
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ootle View Post
SE electronics may be a US based company now, but I do believe that the Chinese factory where the microphones are made is Chinese owned, with a Chinese manager in charge, but this I don't know for sure. What I do know is that these microphones now may be produced at a dedicated factory, but they were once coming from Feilo, one of the big Chinese microphone factories. As a matter of fact: this factory still has the right to produce SE microphones. The manager sent me a certificate that stated that......in Chinese, so I have to take his word for it. I have seen shops over here selling SE with the older logo, the older models. I don't know if that's old stock, or new produced microphones under this certificate.
Regards,
John
First off, I'd love it if Feilo would build me a (now out of production) sE H3500.
H3500: keyfax
Second, please go to this page and read the sE facility Press Tours.
Welcome to sE Electronics
They spell out the sE history pretty well.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

My question is, how do you like the Titan? I'm a sucker for interesting looking mics, provided they sound good.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

this might be of interest:

Owner is a US citizin, but was Chinese. Production is in a Chinese factory. I think the money goes to the US. All good to me.

http://seelectronics.com/revpdfs/Pre...tory_Feb04.pdf

http://www.resolutionmag.com/pdfs/MAKER/ZIWEIZOU.PDF
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy View Post
Based on my time chatting and e-mailing with Bob Reardon and James Young of Sonic-Distribution, I can say that I have never heard them mention any connection with any other mic companies since their "break" with Feilo except for some minor limited-time project assistance for a friend of Siwei Zhou's that also ended soon after the Feilo "break".
Thanks for you immediate reply. Let me restate that I have no opinion about the matter; however, I managed to track down the thread I had stumbled on ealier today. It's from Home Recording:

"I own both the T-Bone SCT 800 aka Studio Electronics SE 5500 aka Feilo z5500 aka NETC 5500. I changed the stock 12AX7B for an EI 12AT7 and it is outstanding. I also have the T-Bone SC 1100 aka SE z3300 aka Feilo z3300 and it is an incredibly versitile and warm microphone."
All the World's Tube Microphones PART TWO - Home Recording dot com BBS
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Thanks for you immediate reply. Let me restate that I have no opinion about the matter; however, I managed to track down the thread I had stumbled on ealier today. It's from Home Recording:

"I own both the T-Bone SCT 800 aka Studio Electronics SE 5500 aka Feilo z5500 aka NETC 5500. I changed the stock 12AX7B for an EI 12AT7 and it is outstanding. I also have the T-Bone SC 1100 aka SE z3300 aka Feilo z3300 and it is an incredibly versitile and warm microphone."
All the World's Tube Microphones PART TWO - Home Recording dot com BBS
Yeah, those could easily all be Feilo era made models.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Yeah, those could easily all be Feilo era made models.
Okay, thanks. On a similar note, I stumbled on this review the other day. Apparently, the t.bone RB500 ribbon mic is also sold under the brand name of Nady - or so it says here:

"After some research, I have discovered that the Nady RSM-2 is actually manufactured in China and available under the 'Tbone' brand from Musikhaus Thomann Cyberstore Eingang as the RB500 for 123 EURO (around $160 US!) that's about half the price of the EXACT same MIC as the NADY!"
Nady RSM-2: Harmony Central User Reviews
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
My question is, how do you like the Titan? I'm a sucker for interesting looking mics, provided they sound good.
The Titan is defiitely NOT your Dad's Buick.
Very multi-talented mic.
Great for brass and saxes,
Great for micing amps especially bass amps.
I was using my Z3300A with a female soprano and it was just not working due to hi-end emphasis.
I switched to the Titan and it was "just right".
LINK: http://www.sonicus.net/lit/Titan%20S...2001-25-07.pdf
LINK:Welcome to sE Electronics
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

RE: Chinese Mic production

From what I was told a while back was that a bunch of German Techs got the old pink slip in Germany and took off to China some 20 some odd years back or so .
They taught the Chinese companys how to make condencer diapahrams and haven't looked back .
I believe the 2 oldest mic makers in China are Felio & 797 Bejing Audio .
SE broke off from Feilo I belive and started his own comapny and came out with some very nice mics that compete with big boys and still doing so . I belivehe the owners of the China based SEh as had his problems with a lot of issues with his whole salers the last few years . But the mics still remain very nice items .
Within the next years there quaility is goingto pickup with being able update or have better acces to higher grades of electronic parts for there products .
Here's another point of interest 24 channel mixer .
Guangzhou Yuedian Industrial Ltd Electronics Factory
James
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

I have experienced quality/reliability issues with some SE Eletronics
microphones. The mics themselves sound ok but try using the pad switches and
seeing if they work correctly still afterwards, background hiss is variable
between the same model etc. etc.

1 year down the line hiss may appear, SE1A and SE2200A are the culprits here.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Hi XLR2XLR
It is always a pleasure to hear from people who are not impressed too easily. Have you tried T.Bone? I ask because I am on the verge of springing for their top-of-the-line large diaphragm condenser SCT2000. Thanks.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
First off, I'd love it if Feilo would build me a (now out of production) sE H3500.
H3500: keyfax
Second, please go to this page and read the sE facility Press Tours.
Welcome to sE Electronics
They spell out the sE history pretty well.
I have a brand new H3500 I'm going to put on EBAY next week.

There was a local dealer that stopped distributing SE and I bought out their remaining stock. I sold most on EBAY, but kept a few pieces. I used one of the H3500s, but the other has been sitting here unused.
Old 17th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR2XLR View Post
I have experienced quality/reliability issues with some SE Eletronics microphones. The mics themselves sound ok but try using the pad switches and seeing if they work correctly still afterwards, background hiss is variable between the same model etc. etc. 1 year down the line hiss may appear, SE1A and SE2200A are the culprits here.
Keep in mind that there is a 2 year warranty on the sE Microphones if I remember correctly. Touch base with [email protected]
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi XLR2XLR
It is always a pleasure to hear from people who are not impressed too easily. Have you tried T.Bone? I ask because I am on the verge of springing for their top-of-the-line large diaphragm condenser SCT2000. Thanks.
I owned one of those and they sound like ****... sold it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search