The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
help me choose a mic pre or small mixer for recording kick/snare Single-Channel Preamps
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

help me choose a mic pre or small mixer for recording kick/snare

Right now I just have a 002 and a presonus eureka channel. I find the pres on the 002 pretty decent, not amazing but not nearly as bad as I thought they were going to be. The eureka is nice but I thought it was going to be better for the money. However I would like to step up the kick and snare a notch so I'm looking for either a 2 channel pre preferably with EQ (but pres are the most important) or a small channel mixer. My budget is small, so right now I'm basically looking at the really nice pre ($500), the toft AFC-2 (almost $700) or the mackie onyx with the 4 channels ($550). The toft is the most expensive i can go. Can anyone help compare each of these to the pres on the 002 even just in the sense of overall quality? Also other recommendations under $700 are welcome. Thanks!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Mic pres

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjosh View Post
Right now I just have a 002 and a presonus eureka channel. I find the pres on the 002 pretty decent, not amazing but not nearly as bad as I thought they were going to be. The eureka is nice but I thought it was going to be better for the money. However I would like to step up the kick and snare a notch so I'm looking for either a 2 channel pre preferably with EQ (but pres are the most important) or a small channel mixer. My budget is small, so right now I'm basically looking at the really nice pre ($500), the toft AFC-2 (almost $700) or the mackie onyx with the 4 channels ($550). The toft is the most expensive i can go. Can anyone help compare each of these to the pres on the 002 even just in the sense of overall quality? Also other recommendations under $700 are welcome. Thanks!
May go another approach , review your drum mics also maybe consider using a bit of compression on some of your mics as well

Plus also review your mic placement too
Could be a bit of tweaking your mics and placement might save you a few bucks .
James
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

well, I have fine mics for drums, and i always compress my drums afterwards with my waves plugs. Plus I need more mic pres anyway because the i only have 5 with the 002/eureka.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

If you didn't need EQ, I'd buy a couple of Rane MS 1b for $150.00 each.

However, as you mentioned you would prefer so have some EQ. In that case, I think a compact mixer would be a good choice.
I'd say the mackie onyx 1620 would be a nice option. It has 8 mics pres. Also, it has an additional band of EQ that's not available on the 1220.
YOu should be able to score a 1620 for about $700.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjosh View Post
You could have 8 channels of pre's that cost $10,000 a channel and you still will only hear $100 worth of sound after you record them thru a Digi 002

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search