The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AT4050's for overheads Condenser Microphones
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

AT4050's for overheads

Anyone using a pair ofo 4050's for overheads?
I've been thinkiing of getting another 4050 to try it out, but find it hard to justify since I'm using a pair of KM84's right now.
Old 9th September 2007
I would rather use the km84's for overheads. The 4050 is cool but man I wish I had a pair of KM's
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks man, good advice.

Checked out your myspace. Digging your music!
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Never used the Km 84's, but I love my 4050's as overheads. Sound bigger than my Oktava MK012's.
Old 9th September 2007
haha thanks those are old crappy demos when I owned a sountracs topaz board with two adats. I can't wait to get the new stuff up. I like km84's/ small diapragm mics for overheads. That's just me. My old room wasn't so good so large mics sounded eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall40 View Post
Thanks man, good advice.

Checked out your myspace. Digging your music!
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've been using AT3035's for OH recently...nice depth on the toms, nice balance without too much sizzle on the cymbals, and a pair are less than a single 4050. I have a 4050 also, but the 3035 has a smoother top end.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Wow, the 3035 has a smoother top than a 4050?

I have one of those too, so I may have to do a shootout!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

No! I certainly don't think so! I have two 4050s and a 3035. The 4050 is clearly a superior mic in every way to my ears. I haven't found a good use for my 3035 yet. It worked great on floor tom actually, believe it or not. It's way to grainy for my taste. And the 4050 has a little grain to it as well, but the top end is much smoother. Low end and mids too. I think the 4050 is a great all 'rounder. I've used it successfully on overheads more than a couple of times.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

great mic for overheads but I prefer the M160 (I love the transient response of those on overheads)

Jo
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

I have a pair of 4050s and must say they do sound pretty nice as overheads but for a small room (I am thinking this is what you have) you may want to think about the at450. Those seem to work much better for me. YMMV

Glenn
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't found a good use for my 3035 yet.
This exemplifies how subjective mic choice is.....the 3035 has become my go to mic for so many sources; vocals, grand piano, electric guitar amp, upright bass, tenor sax, now overheads. I don't hear any graininess in mine whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, when the 4050 is right, it's fabulous (certain vocals, acoustic guitar, lots of things) but for my ears, it can be a bit strident on certain vocals or sources with lots of high end content.

Quote:
Wow, the 3035 has a smoother top than a 4050?
It does to my ears, and the frequency response charts bear out what I hear. The 4050 has a bump at 8k, the 3035 is flat in the top end, as well as having a slight bump in the low mids, around 200-300Hz. It also has lower self noise than the 4050.

If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll email an mp3 of a track from a project I just finished with a 4 mic drum setup; mick, snare, 3035's for OH.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
This exemplifies how subjective mic choice is.....the 3035 has become my go to mic for so many sources; vocals, grand piano, electric guitar amp, upright bass, tenor sax, now overheads. I don't hear any graininess in mine whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, when the 4050 is right, it's fabulous (certain vocals, acoustic guitar, lots of things) but for my ears, it can be a bit strident on certain vocals or sources with lots of high end content.

It does to my ears, and the frequency response charts bear out what I hear. The 4050 has a bump at 8k, the 3035 is flat in the top end, as well as having a slight bump in the low mids, around 200-300Hz. It also has lower self noise than the 4050.

If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll email an mp3 of a track from a project I just finished with a 4 mic drum setup; mick, snare, 3035's for OH.
I agree about the high end content and that is why I think it works very well with a 610. If the singer is sounding a little harsh on the highs, pump the gain on the 610 and it will mellow.

I had a female vocalist who sounded thin, harsh, and sibilant when singing through the 4050, but when I pumped up the gain on the 610, it was like a different mic.

I think the mic is very versatile, but you have to listen and adjust just like everything else.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall40 View Post
Anyone using a pair ofo 4050's for overheads?
I've been thinkiing of getting another 4050 to try it out, but find it hard to justify since I'm using a pair of KM84's right now.
I have a pair and love them for overheads, but the killer combo would be the km84s over and the 4050s (in cardiod, padded) as spot mics on the toms.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

on my last session i used at4040 for floor toms and those were actually quite good for that.

I will probably get a pair of 4050 at some point..
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

I like the 4050's as cymbal mics. They have a clean sound to them that separates them from the other mics I use which has helped me mix cymbals. I use them in fig.8 in front of the kit in blumlein. Here's a couple of projects I did with the 4050's in front of the kit.

Mirrors - One Last Kiss
http://http://www.clarityrecording.com/olk.mp3

Bitchin Summer - Sex On Sundays
http://www.clarityrecording.com/sexonsundays.mp3
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

do you only have a pair of at4050 in front of a kit for cymbals?

im digging the sexonsundays.mp3. nice job
what drum samples are you using?
Old 10th September 2007
SK1
Lives for gear

I read that the Police use them for drum overheads live.

FYI

Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks Tom, yeah they were directly in front of the kit about 6 feet up. Lately I've been experimenting with capturing cymbals in front of the kit rather than over top, and so far I like the natural feel of it. There is a mono ribbon over top but I use it for its drum sound, more than cymbal. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll hook you up with my samples when I get a chance.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have been liking the non-overhead "overheads" too lately. I have used a pair of AT4040 I just wish I had those 50's.

PM sent!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search