The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mic to get rid of? Condenser Microphones
Old 9th September 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
sonnycheebs's Avatar
 

Question mic to get rid of?

it is time for me to get rid of somethings. i have a good number of mics and i am going to get rid of a few. now here is the question. out of the se three mics which ONE do you get rid of and why/ i am just asking opinions so no it depends on what i like anwsers. thanks for the input.

groove tubes gt55
at4033a
mxl v6
Old 9th September 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 

i don't get rid of mics. ever.
Old 9th September 2007
  #3
Get rid of the V6, in fact just put it in the mail to "Joel Patterson, Petersburgh NY 12138."

Why? Because I said so! No, seriously, I always wanted to get one of those and just never did.
Old 9th September 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
flail19's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironklad Audio View Post
i don't get rid of mics. ever.
I agree. You never know when you can use them. If you own them ouright and you want that added tool in your tool box keep it, what does it hurt?
Old 9th September 2007
  #5
Would you guys all just please SHUT UP?!?!
Old 9th September 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

If you don't feel like mailing it to Joel, you can mail it to me... I won't even charge you anything.
Old 9th September 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
sonnycheebs's Avatar
 

i going to get a few other things that i need and i find that i don't use them all and they just sitting. so i figured i would keep the top two and sell the other to get more gear. i don't know about you but i buy stuff sometimes because i always wanted it and it never gets used.
Old 9th September 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
sonnycheebs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
If you don't feel like mailing it to Joel, you can mail it to me... I won't even charge you anything.
hehhehhehhehhehheh
Old 10th September 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
soundawg's Avatar
 

NEVER ditch anything unless you F'n hate it!!!

I have done this in the past and regret every time I have...

the money I got for my gear was low, and to get it back will be high (if I can even find those pieces again)

I miss my old REXX rig (sob)


Soundawg
Old 10th September 2007
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnycheebs View Post
it is time for me to get rid of somethings. i have a good number of mics and i am going to get rid of a few. now here is the question. out of the se three mics which ONE do you get rid of and why/ i am just asking opinions so no it depends on what i like anwsers. thanks for the input.

groove tubes gt55
at4033a
mxl v6
Keepthem and ad on to what you have your increasing your mic pallet more is better have moret o choose from if your stuck on something od to record have a few exta choices to try out
James
Old 10th September 2007
  #11
Gear Nut
 

The only mic I've ever gotten rid of and not regretted later was an AKG D112.

I still smile knowing I don't own it any more.

Of the mics you list I only have direct experience with the 4033. I would say don't get rid of that for sure.
Old 11th September 2007
  #12
I've never regretted selling old gear because I put it towards something better. I don't have a huge microphone collection, but I think it's pretty solid.
Old 11th September 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 
taturana's Avatar
Cool

i´d say keep anything that´s useful to you... if you don´t use it, get rid of it... and maybe buy something else you will use...
Old 12th September 2007
  #14
Gear Addict
 
drummerboy1533's Avatar
 

Even hinting at the possibility of shedding useful gear could put you into the gearslutwannabe catagory.I own over 30 mics,and I don't record for profit and I seldom record at all for that matter! But....B.....U.....T...I am a GEARSLUT.Now,slowly step away from your mics.Sorry he bothered you guys.I can bitch slap the newbies.
Old 12th September 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
uncle duncan's Avatar
 

Your question is meaningless without seeing the list of all your other mics. If one of those 3 mics has a companion on the big list - a mic that would be interchangeable - that's the one to get rid of. Or, if you're getting rid of a condensor mic to replace it with a ribbon, I suppose that would be okay, especially if you do not, as yet, have any ribbon mics. (Everybody needs ribbon mics, but they don't realize it till they finally break down and get one.)
Old 13th September 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
sonnycheebs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
Your question is meaningless without seeing the list of all your other mics. If one of those 3 mics has a companion on the big list - a mic that would be interchangeable - that's the one to get rid of. Or, if you're getting rid of a condensor mic to replace it with a ribbon, I suppose that would be okay, especially if you do not, as yet, have any ribbon mics. (Everybody needs ribbon mics, but they don't realize it till they finally break down and get one.)
well thats what i was thinking i would get rid of one to get a tube or ribbon( i don't know a lot about these can you give a quik background ) mic i am also clean up a other stuf little to get better pres while i am at it. i got a tampa ,grace 101 ,two Studio Projects VTB1 and a mp 105 wit mods

those 3 are my best mics for now i have 4 other condensers but all are lower on the ladder. like mxl v67 ,2001, 901 behinger b1(ducks flames as he sez that name out loud) lol and an old school audio tech. pencil. i am getting rid of these to upgrade to something better by themselves they are not enough so i thought i would add one of the better mics to get more dough.
Old 13th September 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
uncle duncan's Avatar
 

If I were you I'd keep the 3 good mics. They cover a lot of ground. Do a search on ribbon mics on this board, and you'll be reading for days. Basically, they sound great on distorted guitars, and any instrument or singer that's painfully bright. Apparently, people around here like the fathead ribbons. I got a shinybox with an upgraded transformer (and a beyer, and a AEA, but they're kind of pricey.) I think that's the key with getting a cheap ribbon - the upgraded transformer makes a big difference in sound quality.
Judging by your gear list, you're at the point where you need to not buy anything else unless it's a step up in quality. Wait till you can afford to drop a grand on your next pre and then get a AEA TRP preamp for your ribbon mic. (The ribbon will work through any pre, but only with loud sources.) There aren't many quality pieces of gear for under $400 or $500, except maybe the Oktava mk12 SDC, or the CAD m179 LDC or M9 tube mic, or Trion 8000 tube mic, or a Safesound P1 pre/comp ($600). Everything else in that price range is just going to be more junk you'll be trying to get rid of later. It's hard, holding back till you can afford good gear, but it's definitely worth the wait.
Old 13th September 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
sonnycheebs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
If I were you I'd keep the 3 good mics. They cover a lot of ground. Do a search on ribbon mics on this board, and you'll be reading for days. Basically, they sound great on distorted guitars, and any instrument or singer that's painfully bright. Apparently, people around here like the fathead ribbons. I got a shinybox with an upgraded transformer (and a beyer, and a AEA, but they're kind of pricey.) I think that's the key with getting a cheap ribbon - the upgraded transformer makes a big difference in sound quality.
Judging by your gear list, you're at the point where you need to not buy anything else unless it's a step up in quality. Wait till you can afford to drop a grand on your next pre and then get a AEA TRP preamp for your ribbon mic. (The ribbon will work through any pre, but only with loud sources.) There aren't many quality pieces of gear for under $400 or $500, except maybe the Oktava mk12 SDC, or the CAD m179 LDC or M9 tube mic, or Trion 8000 tube mic, or a Safesound P1 pre/comp ($600). Everything else in that price range is just going to be more junk you'll be trying to get rid of later. It's hard, holding back till you can afford good gear, but it's definitely worth the wait.


thats pretty much the idea to get rid of everything from the first level of gear. you know the stuff you buy when you first start and have no real money or info. keep the best of what you get when you get some real info the second level stuff. (i call the the bargin slutty gear you know sounds and works slutty but is cheap.)heh then sell the first level to try and get the third level stuff slutty gear you could not afford before or did'nt have info on. i'm looking at the m9 and the sct-800. not slutty but i could use one. and then maybe a lunch box then i got to get new monitors (behinger build quality [email protected] )
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
BunDLeZ / Low End Theory
38
Poopants / So much gear, so little time
6
dny997 / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
13
Hope209 / The Moan Zone
20

Forum Jump
Forum Jump