The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 828 MK II USB 2.0 Audio Interfaces
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

MOTU 828 MK II USB 2.0

What kind of a peace of gear the motu 828 USB 2.0 is?

i'll soon have to upgrade my audio interface, and i don't want to purchase M-audio no longer.

MOTU 828 MK II USB 2.0 - U.K. International Cyberstore

Any comment's on this one?
Old 9th September 2007
Deleted User
If you're considering the 828 MKII, why would you buy the USB version as opposed to the firewire version? I think you'll find a general concensus that firewire is better/more reliable that USB for audio. I've had the FW version for 5 years and it's performed pretty much flawlessly (Power Mac with DP 5.12). I can't comment/compare to other manufacturers converters,sound, etc, but I'm happy with mine.

Check out the MOTU users board at UnicorNation. They have a MOTU hardware section for both PC and Mac users.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

I have the MOTU 828mkII SB 2.0 and I wish I had the firewire version instead. It works like it should most of the times but sometimes the audio drops out randomely for a few seconds whic his really annoying and ruining when recording. The latency is quite high too. If you want to be able to monitor without hearing any delay then you nee dto use the two lowest settings (384ms and 256ms, either of them) and then the CPU takes quite a hit. You have the direct monitoring but sometimes you nee to software monitor, like when you use amp modeling.

Just to let you know... I clock my MOTU to a RME ADI-2 with the ADAT protocol and it certainly makes a huge diffeence. Honestly it makes all the difference you hear others say. It didn't make any difference when I clocked it with SPDIF (coaxial or/and TosLink), but with ADAT... WOW.

If someone knows why ADAT clocking makes such a diference, then please let us know why it does so.

Regards
Rickard Gerthsson
Old 3rd July 2014
Gear Head

828 firewire W7 instal

I know the firewire system is better but can anyone tell me how to install it in W7?
Old 3rd July 2014
Deleted User
Very old thread - old enough that now the fw vs USB thing is pretty much irrelevant. Have you downloaded and installed the MOTU Universal Audio drivers? OTT - not enough info.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search