The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using the KRK VXT monitors? Studio Monitors
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

Anyone using the KRK VXT monitors?

The VXT series is supposed to have drawn some design elements form their now defunct high end series the E8Bs. Anyone heard or used them?
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
The VXT series is supposed to have drawn some design elements form their now defunct high end series the E8Bs. Anyone heard or used them?
I think its actually a mix of their high end Exposé series and the V series. They must be pretty good if they decided to totally replace the V series with these. Read a review for the VXT 4's and it was very positive. Must admit I'm a fan cause I am using their "cheapie" Rockit5's in my studio even if I own a pair of Genelec 1032A! They mixes translate perfect everywhere now...

Thinking about getting a set of VXT 4 or 6 and a sub and selling my Genelecs
Old 3rd November 2007
Lives for gear

Does anyone in the meanwhile use ANY model of the VXT Series? Except a single review which sounded more like advertisement I didn't find any user review on the net! This is very strange, seems that the new VXT aren't very good.
Old 9th November 2007
Gear Addict

Hi! Have been using the VXT6s for about a month; great monitors.

Have A/B'd them against Genelec 8030/8040, Dynaudio BM5a/BM6a and Adam A7...

I also did mixes on the Genelec and ADAM; the thing that I felt with the Genelecs is that mixes sound finished a little to soon... Meaning that something that may sound balanced and focused on the 8030s usually sound a little clouded and lacks detail when played back on other speakers. The ADAMs have a slightly similar sound to the NS10s in the 4kHz range and so my mixes were a little soft on other systems. I also felt that vocals sounded kinda sibilant so I applied too much de esser...

The bottom end on the Genelecs are better than the ADAMs, but they are nowhere near as detailed and defined as the KRKs. Try mixing a tune with an upright bass or a rock n roll tune with crunchy guitars, oomph in a 4x12 cab and see if you can ever manage to get the bass guitar right....

The KRKs are also very good at reproducing transients; makes it even easier to tell tthe difference between converters/a good or badly clocked system; so now I'm really enjoying my Universal Audio 2192 interface!heh

The last thing that I first thought was gonna be a bit of a problem was that the KRKs had such a wide stereo image... I thought my mixes might be a bit narrow when played back on other systems.
After mixing on the, however, I realized that it was actually a better resolution from center to extreme left and right.
Mixing ITB I usually couldn't tell the difference between panning in 7-8 cent increments (Nuendo is + - 100); now I can hear differences in 2 cent increments!!!! Makes creating a sensible stereo image a lot easier for things like shakers, acoustic guitars, hihat etc... It also helped a lot in deciding how wide you make a M/S stereo recording.
And phase relationships are also easeier to figure out; equals better mono compatibility! Sweet....

Hope that helps

Morten
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

I totally forgot about this thread!

Morten, thanks a lot!
Old 13th March 2008
Lives for gear

A review of the VXT4s posted on Studio Central...Studio-Central Community :: View topic - Review of the KRK VXT 4 monitors
Old 14th March 2008
Here for the gear

I'm picking up some VXT8s in a few weeks. I would have already ad them but I saw a used MPC 2500 for sale at Guitar Center and got that. I A/B'ed them against Mackie HR824 MKIIs, EVENT ASPs (wow those monitors suck imho), HS80Ms (the only real contender in that price range), and BX8s (garbage).

I feel the HS80Ms are great in that price range but lack enough high end to contend with the VXT8s. One thing is for sure is that the HS80Ms can get REALLY loud and put out enough bass as to where you don't need a sub to handle the frequencies they can handle.

The Events have NO bass whatsoever. The BX8s sound muddy in the mids. And the HR82k MKIIs pretty up the sound too much while "darkening" the midrange.

The A7s overall sound great. The ribbon tweeter is great but can be a bit bright in spots. The mids on the A7s are phenomenal as well as the stereo image.
Old 14th March 2008
Jai guru deva om

I think they're very good monitors, quite detailed and deliver a good midrange detail (particularly the 6").

War
Old 14th May 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
Hi! Have been using the VXT6s for about a month; great monitors.

Have A/B'd them against Genelec 8030/8040, Dynaudio BM5a/BM6a and Adam A7...

I also did mixes on the Genelec and ADAM; the thing that I felt with the Genelecs is that mixes sound finished a little to soon... Meaning that something that may sound balanced and focused on the 8030s usually sound a little clouded and lacks detail when played back on other speakers. The ADAMs have a slightly similar sound to the NS10s in the 4kHz range and so my mixes were a little soft on other systems. I also felt that vocals sounded kinda sibilant so I applied too much de esser...

The bottom end on the Genelecs are better than the ADAMs, but they are nowhere near as detailed and defined as the KRKs. Try mixing a tune with an upright bass or a rock n roll tune with crunchy guitars, oomph in a 4x12 cab and see if you can ever manage to get the bass guitar right....

The KRKs are also very good at reproducing transients; makes it even easier to tell tthe difference between converters/a good or badly clocked system; so now I'm really enjoying my Universal Audio 2192 interface!heh

The last thing that I first thought was gonna be a bit of a problem was that the KRKs had such a wide stereo image... I thought my mixes might be a bit narrow when played back on other systems.
After mixing on the, however, I realized that it was actually a better resolution from center to extreme left and right.
Mixing ITB I usually couldn't tell the difference between panning in 7-8 cent increments (Nuendo is + - 100); now I can hear differences in 2 cent increments!!!! Makes creating a sensible stereo image a lot easier for things like shakers, acoustic guitars, hihat etc... It also helped a lot in deciding how wide you make a M/S stereo recording.
And phase relationships are also easeier to figure out; equals better mono compatibility! Sweet....

Hope that helps

Morten
can we get a diagram of the setup of your KRKs & room??
Old 17th May 2008
Here for the gear

KRK VXT 6 VS 8's

I'm going to purchase the KRK VXT's for a home surround system. Has anyone A-B'd the VXT 6's vs the VXT 8's? And if so, what can you share about the difference? I was told the midrange is somewhat better on the 6 .... although when I heard both I honestly couldn't say for sure.

AND, I already have a pair of subs .... if I'm going to roll-off the LF at 80hz anyway, would it make any difference which one I purchased?

Somewhat confused about that.

Thank You
Old 2nd March 2009
Here for the gear

VXT8's: My first monitors

I bought my VXT's with the last of my bursary money from college, along with Cubase 4. They were the best buys I made! (forget you, PooTools!) I think these monitors are great. I love the sweet spot. Anyone listening in nearly any part of the room can hear the mix properly. And Everything is so clear. It's so much harder to make editing mistakes on these monitors. They just glare out from the mix.

And that's better than the monitors they had at the school when I was mixing there (Yamaha HS10's). Actually, I found the school monitors too harsh at times. Like they were being pushed past their sweet sound. My KRK's always sound smooth. It takes a terrible mix to make them sound bad. And then you know you messed up.

I love the VXT's. I wouldn't trade them. Unless you were offering the Expose's.

Bracus
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

I recently replaced the Blue Sky EXO system in my tiny room with a pair of VXT4s. For my needs, they're a big step of for detail and stereo imaging. The 4s are a bit lacking in the low end, but for my space, they give me what I need.
Old 3rd March 2009
Gear Addict

I don't have the VXT's but I do use there predecessor the V6 series II's . Great detail
and imaging. I got them used for really cheap (around $300 for the pair). I hear the VXT's are even better. My mixes translate well so far....I'm happy !!

David B
Old 4th March 2009
Gear Head

I had a pair of vxt6. They were pretty decent, but i always thought it was kind of sloppy on the low end in comparison to some other speakers in the price range. Like hr624's or ex66's.

I have a pair of ex66's and love them. Those are also discontinued, so they are definitely a steal now.

M-Audio EX66

cons: they are huge.
Old 5th March 2009
Here for the gear

I think it depends on what you are using them for. I find the VXT 8's give me great low end. And, of course, I double check on normal speakers to make sure my mixes are right. Because my VXT's are off the ground, of course, I'm never sure how the low's sound until I check on regular speakers with a small sub. I've never been disappointed. Maybe all the 6's needed was a sub to bring out the bass properly.

Bracus
Old 7th March 2009
Gear Maniac

I just can't get why KRK's get the recognition and praise they do. Sound ok for broadcast I guess. Is it the yellow woofers? Different strokes I guess. As long as you learn them anything will be fine.
Old 8th March 2009
Here for the gear

No really. They are great monitors, IMO. In fact, I thought the yellow speaker thing looked cheesy myself. And the Rockits sounded bad to me. I was going to buy the HS10's like they had in my school, but then the dealer brought in these VXT 6's for some reason and I was immediately struck by how they sounded. They made the others, even the SH10's sound worse. So, I went home and ordered the VXT 8's on eBay (the dealer was charging too much for them).

I really like the way the VXT's sound. That's why I praise them.

Bracus
Old 9th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigheguy View Post
I just can't get why KRK's get the recognition and praise they do. Sound ok for broadcast I guess. Is it the yellow woofers? Different strokes I guess. As long as you learn them anything will be fine.
Which KRKs are you talking about? The Rokit and VXT series are significantly different.
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Nut

I bought the VXT8 for about 350$ because someone thought they were broken because of the RFI. (I live for getting things cheap), also GC randomly has sales on KRK's.

Great monitors, BUT as you look thru threads here you will notice lots of people besides me have trouble with RFI. Krk acknowledges the problem and has offered to have them sent back for "repairs", which I am not sure anyone has done yet.

After trying like 20 tricks to remove RFI, I finally took apart the speeaker, and shielded it with aluminum foil, connecting it to the original shielding point. This eliminated probably 90% of the RFI...
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear Addict

I listened to the KRK Rockit 6's and 8's this weekend and compared to to the Yamaha HS80M's. Also listened to the VXT's and I just couldn't justify the cost of the VXt's. Even if I could, I just prefered the Yamaha HS80M's and bought them.
Old 25th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by styphon View Post
I bought the VXT8 for about 350$ because someone thought they were broken because of the RFI. (I live for getting things cheap), also GC randomly has sales on KRK's.

Great monitors, BUT as you look thru threads here you will notice lots of people besides me have trouble with RFI. Krk acknowledges the problem and has offered to have them sent back for "repairs", which I am not sure anyone has done yet.

After trying like 20 tricks to remove RFI, I finally took apart the speeaker, and shielded it with aluminum foil, connecting it to the original shielding point. This eliminated probably 90% of the RFI...
What is RFI?
Old 30th March 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJames View Post
What is RFI?
Radio Frequency Interference...
I have the same problem with my KRK;s vxt 6. Other than that they are brill monitors..
Old 30th March 2009
Gear Head

Hey, I have two VXT 4. I have been using blue skys and some genelec 103x at a studio but got the VXT 4 for my home studio. I tried out a few and compared them to the R6 for example...completely different...much more detail and stereo field...I also tried them against the Dynaudios BM5As and the Genelec 8030...the Genelec 8030 sounded nice but had this crazy low-end thing that popped out and smacked you in the face...strange...the Dynaudios were really nice...

I ended up with the VXT 4s as I found them to be somehow similar to the Dynaudios although they don't breathe as easy but then again they are 4" speakers. My idea is to add a sub at some point in the future. They have been a huge step up for my home monitoring. They do make you work which for me is great. I would recomend them for a small home monitoring situation especially where space is a factor. They are solidly built and have a reasuring weight to them. If space were not an issue, I would have got the sub at the same time or gone straight to the VXT 8s or the Dynaudios.

Hope that helps
Old 30th March 2009
Gear Head

been mixing in my small home studio on the VXT4s with Blue Sky sub for the last 3 months, and finding them translating really well, great imaging. the monitors they replaced were rockit5s, which i found kinda hyped and not very revealing. found myself constantly re-tweaking mixes after hearing them in various 'real life' listening conditions with the rockits. With the VXTs, I'm finding my mixes just punching through wonderfully the first time around in most cases. doing mainly hiphop stuff, real bass heavy, if that matters.
peace,
digdug
Old 31st March 2009
Lives for gear
The RFI sensitivity on the VXT is ridiculous I have small box for VoIP (sip) about a meter from one of the speakers. I can here how the interference is changing when I move around the VoIP box.
Old 31st March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigheguy View Post
I can't comment on earlier models, but there is a world of difference between the Rockit series and the VXT series.

The VXT 4 is a great little monitor, mixes translate well

The Rockit 6/8 - I just don't know what I'm hearing - scooped mids, big bass
Old 1st April 2009
Here for the gear

I just did a monitor mini shootout at GC, consisting of the Adam A7, Yamaha HS80M, Dynaudio BM5A, and KRK VXT 8. I was looking for a good contrast/compliment to my Tannoy System 8's.

The KRK's won. By a comfortable margin. I found them to be flatter, with better low end extension, and I could hear the layers of tracks better. The HS80M's were quite flattering, scooped in the mids, but I could still hear the same layering. The A7's were pretty good all around, but I couldn't hear the distinct layering, and they didn't seem to make much noise below 100 Hz. Similar story with the BM5A's.

The only thing that might be a negative about the VXT8's is that I could see them being fatiguing. They aren't very forgiving in that 2-3 k range. But that's also the same reason why I would trust them more.

I don't have that much scratch right now for another set of monitors, but if I did, or if I was upgrading from, say, Events or BX8's, the KRK VXT 8 would be one of my top choices.

Now, when you guys talk about RF interference, do you mean that the KRK's create it or pick it up?
Old 1st April 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Strick-9 View Post

Now, when you guys talk about RF interference, do you mean that the KRK's create it or pick it up?
They pickup signals from other electronic devices and radio transmitters. Cellular and wifi but also from very other electronics like computers that work with high frequency.
Old 1st April 2009
Gear Head

yeah, gotta admit KRK VXT + iPhone (more notorious RF issues) = RF symphony.
Old 1st April 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDouglas View Post
yeah, gotta admit KRK VXT + iPhone (more notorious RF issues) = RF symphony.
It's not the iphone that cause the problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search