The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using the KRK VXT monitors? Studio Monitors
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Nut

Hi Guys,

Sorry to raid this thread - i put a balanced TRS jack into my VXT 6's and when pulling them out the end broke off the jack and is still in the socket of the speaker - i can plug in an XLR cable but get a horrible hum - very much like an unbalanced connection.

I am worried about taking the back off the cabinet as i dont wat to mess the integraty of the speaker. I hate hearing vibrations that you get in household speakers when the cabs arnt designed well or have not been put together properly.

If i did open the back up would i even be able to push the end out of the jack?
Old 30th November 2015
Gear Nut

Are all you VXT6 users still happy with them? Anyone A/B them with Equators or newer monitors in the same price range???
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerjabs View Post
Are all you VXT6 users still happy with them? Anyone A/B them with Equators or newer monitors in the same price range???
For the price (in the UK), I am happy with them. If I could buy again I would probably front more cash and get Genelecs though.
Old 5th September 2016
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=HomeProducer;1605901]Does anyone in the meanwhile use ANY model of the VXT Series? Except a single review which sounded more like advertisement I didn't find any user review on the net! This is very strange, seems that the new VXT aren't very good.[I have a pair of the VXT8 and had them since 2010. Absolutely brilliant monitors and worth every penny. I have even used them for parties, countless times] The tops are crisp, Mids are true and the bass is round. Excellent for mixing dance tracks and there's no need to wack the volume up. They are worth the £500 each that I paid for them. I hope this helps. Clive Gordon, London, UK
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by descades View Post
Until this morning, I also had the extremely annoying radio interference (RFI) bug that seems to haunt the VXT series monitors. However, some brilliant electronics insights by my boss solved it right away.

The problem is apparently that the input XLR cable is picking up radio signals through capacitive coupling. This is something that is not prevented by using a shielded cable with a balanced signal on twisted pair, as is the case in XLR cables.

The solution is to simply clamp a big ferrite clamp around the XLR cable directly behind the XLR connector that is plugged in the monitor. This acts as an inductor to all radio-frequency signals on the cable. Problem solved! I really hope this works for everyone.
hmmm, this sounds interesting... (and sorry for reviving OLD thread!).... I experience noise on my VXT8's without any audio cables plugged in, would ptting these ferrite clamps around the power cables help in anyway? (as you can tell by the newb nature of this question, I am no electrician!) thanks...
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Jordaan View Post
For my problem with the VXTs was fortunately a solution that was also mentioned in the manual. My VXTs gave an enormous hum. They were apparently very sensitive to my external monitordisplay. I plugged the display into a different powersource than the interface, VXTs and computer and the problem was solved!
This shouldn't happen when the video monitors are turned off correct?

I included a sample of the noise I am experiencing...

hmm, attaching link not working for me right now..
Old 6th September 2016
Lives for gear

sorry, since this is a populated thread, I thought I would present my problems with my KRK VXT8's.... a couple of months ago, I started getting a variable high end noise,... after eliminating CPU/monitor issues by duh, turning them off... and investing money in decent power conditioners, and trying every outlet in the house with extension cables etc... basically I surmise it is RFI noise...

(https://clyp.it/snzeckxi)

...another gentleman in another thread suggested aluminum foil, and sadly, it cut out around 90% of it when I just draped it over....

Granted, since KRK have decided to sell this stuff without a modicum of shielding, what would be the easiest and most affordable way to deal with this, as I really don't want aluminum foil all over the place and rattling and looking like crap...:face palm:...

Thanks KRK, I always recommend you to everyone, and my stuff is out of warranty, but still sounds fine as long as I wrap it in damn foil... I hear you can't even USE your products in Boston, and um... well... this stinks.

thank you to everyone.
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

Here in the UK these KRKs are significantly more affordable than some competitor monitors at the same size. Something has gotta give unfortunately
Old 3rd October 2016
Hey guys, Rich here from KRK. The new V-Series 4 are coming end of Oct, beginning of Nov. It is all you love about VXT and older Vs but more extention, better imaging and more punch. The response at AES was amazing.
Old 3rd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrenken View Post
Hey guys, Rich here from KRK. The new V-Series 4 are coming end of Oct, beginning of Nov. It is all you love about VXT and older Vs but more extention, better imaging and more punch. The response at AES was amazing.
Cool Rich, will check them out...

BUT , do you have any advice for shielding KRK VXT8's from rf etc? Take them apart and line with foil? Duct tape? anything? I love them, and have 3 pairs of them in different studios now. In one location, they are still wrapped with foil as the above pictures will testify!
Old 3rd October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
Cool Rich, will check them out...

BUT , do you have any advice for shielding KRK VXT8's from rf etc? Take them apart and line with foil? Duct tape? anything? I love them, and have 3 pairs of them in different studios now. In one location, they are still wrapped with foil as the above pictures will testify!
I talked to my head engineer. We do have a document to help, he is going to look for it and I will post it here when I get it.
Old 3rd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I talked to my head engineer. We do have a document to help, he is going to look for it and I will post it here when I get it.
That is AMAZING Rich, thank you!! I love the VXT8's, and if you sniff around the threads here you will see that I recommend them... but the shielding problem that has arisen for me makes them unusable!... alas, appreciate any help, and thank your head engineer as well!
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by descades View Post
Until this morning, I also had the extremely annoying radio interference (RFI) bug that seems to haunt the VXT series monitors. However, some brilliant electronics insights by my boss solved it right away.

The problem is apparently that the input XLR cable is picking up radio signals through capacitive coupling. This is something that is not prevented by using a shielded cable with a balanced signal on twisted pair, as is the case in XLR cables.

The solution is to simply clamp a big ferrite clamp around the XLR cable directly behind the XLR connector that is plugged in the monitor. This acts as an inductor to all radio-frequency signals on the cable. Problem solved! I really hope this works for everyone.
This one of the first things you try out. I did not work for me with ferrite on both power and xlr.
Old 8th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
This one of the first things you try out. I did not work for me with ferrite on both power and xlr.
same with me, I get the noise with no xlr's connected... (obviously impossible to get without power...)
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear
Seems that the vxt now are discontinued without the problem solved. I guess that the new V6 is the replacement I hope they have replaced the electronics team for that project.
Old 13th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seems that the vxt now are discontinued without the problem solved. I guess that the new V6 is the replacement I hope they have replaced the electronics team for that project.
well that kinda stinks, the aluminum foil solution "is" working, but ugly... I don't know the proper way to take them apart either, and what would be the best thing to line the inside with... (silver duct tape? more foil? etc...) because right now it's a real bummer looking at my studio!
Old 16th November 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
well that kinda stinks, the aluminum foil solution "is" working, but ugly... I don't know the proper way to take them apart either, and what would be the best thing to line the inside with... (silver duct tape? more foil? etc...) because right now it's a real bummer looking at my studio!
Without schematics the proper shielding is conductive paint. Solves the RFI problem but not the noise problem with improper gain staging. Buy the way, the new monitors replacing VXT looks very cheap.
Old 17th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Without schematics the proper shielding is conductive paint. Solves the RFI problem but not the noise problem with improper gain staging. Buy the way, the new monitors replacing VXT looks very cheap.
thanks for the input bace! conductive paint hmm.... I have little/no knowledge on that, but will look it up..... I don't have problems with improper gain staging, just RFI.... and not sure how to take the VXT8's apart, or what conductive paint to use etc... sounds like a bit of a mess, but so be it, I like the speakers a lot!

Definintely interested in checking out their new line, not sure on the cost of them, but for their cost in the past, I have certainly NEVER complained about them until the RFI issues became more prevalent...

thanks again for your insight!
Old 17th November 2016
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have certainly NEVER complained about them until the RFI issues became more prevalent...
Do you still have issues if you power off your wireless router and switch off Wi-Fi on your phone?
This could be worth exploring. If that clears it up you may be able to improve things on that end. Switching your devices to connect on the 5ghz band among other things.
Old 17th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Do you still have issues if you power off your wireless router and switch off Wi-Fi on your phone?
This could be worth exploring. If that clears it up you may be able to improve things on that end. Switching your devices to connect on the 5ghz band among other things.

interesting! thanks, will try now.... I have one of the latest apple airports, which has both 2.4 and 5ghz bands... I will unplug it and every device i have in the house working.. and see if that makes a difference... and report back, thanks for the idea!
Old 7th December 2016
Quote:
Quote:
That is AMAZING Rich, thank you!! I love the VXT8's, and if you sniff around the threads here you will see that I recommend them... but the shielding problem that has arisen for me makes them unusable!... alas, appreciate any help, and thank your head engineer as well!
Sorry for the hold up. I ping'd him. We have been super slammed getting the new Vs out and getting ready for NAMM.
Old 7th December 2016
Quote:
Yes, the V Series team are all new killer guys that have been around the industry for a while. We did design this power amp and it does not have the issue. The Vs are being used by many pros already with big smiles.
Old 7th December 2016
Quote:
Rich here, the product manager. I have been getting the opposite take on the monitors. Most love the look and think it looks way more pro than the VXT. I am curious as to your thoughts on why it looks cheap.
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry for the hold up. I ping'd him. We have been super slammed getting the new Vs out and getting ready for NAMM.
cool! thanks so much Rich, and I am excited to see the new line!
Old 7th December 2016
Quote:
I sent you a private message as well.
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Rich here, the product manager. I have been getting the opposite take on the monitors. Most love the look and think it looks way more pro than the VXT. I am curious as to your thoughts on why it looks cheap.
It's very hard to quantify, but VXT looks a bit like E8B and new V more like Rokit, more rounded vs squared, less unique more like any other vendor. And the rounded design has a acoustic function.
Old 8th December 2016
Quote:
It's very hard to quantify, but VXT looks a bit like E8B and new V more like Rokit, more rounded vs squared, less unique more like any other vendor. And the rounded design has a acoustic function.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I do appreciate it. I gotcha. Cool. The acoustic function was overstated by the former team.

When developing these, I took protos to many pro guys to get their take on the look. One of those guys was Dave Pensado and he said, Wow! That looks awesome, you should make a shell of that for everyone to put their crappy looking monitors in. He is an E8 user as well. So it is just perspective. I have been all over in many studios and 90-95% of guys love the look. The front baffle is aluminium and the weight of that in conjunction with the rubber foam pad is like having a built in stabilizer. Then the front plate is brushed aluminium and comes off so you can install the included grille if you want and put the plate back on. So it is all functional.

That said, I hear you on the Rokits. When the new G4 of the Rokits come out, I am growing them up a lot.
Old 8th December 2016
Quote:
No one that worked on the VXTs are still with the company. I thought we had a document that could help out but we cannot find it. We did find that customer service was suggesting that people try this. Sescom SES-INLINE-EMCF Inline RF Filter XLR Male to Neutrik EMC Female Grnd Lift

The RF issue only affects a small percentage of people and they could never find a fix for it, from what I can tell. I wish I had more info.

Also, I sent you an email from the email address on your website.
Old 8th December 2016
Gear Addict
I want to unload some E8t's will KRK takes these back in trade? Just a thought, but one of the speakers needs repair and I am not sure it's worth it!
Old 9th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcefor View Post
I want to unload some E8t's will KRK takes these back in trade? Just a thought, but one of the speakers needs repair and I am not sure it's worth it!
We don't do trades. But, it may be totally worth repairing. I have helped out a few guys who thought they had blown woofers and tweeters but it was just bad caps. So you could look at recapping them. I know a lot of guys seek out the E8ts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search