The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using the KRK VXT monitors? Studio Monitors
Old 26th January 2011
Gear Nut

Interesting. I still get RFI on my VXT8's. Doesn't matter if cell phones are in range or if there is no cell phone for 20 feet. I get a clear FM station playing rock which is independent of the volume control.

As mentioned above, I have tried ferrite cores, power conditioners, ground lifts, the "1 spot" or whatever filters. I have tested my grounds, isolated extra equipment to eliminate possible ground loops and..nothing

Only thing that has worked was copper shielding in my speaker.
Old 26th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Silly question but, does you VXT monitors "stink" thru port holes?The smell is like "made in China rubber" type ( not burned rubber type) when you stick your nose to port hole and it's been since day 1 since I bought them.
Old 1st February 2011
Here for the gear

I've had the VXT8s for a few years, and since i've moved to NYC the cell phone interference has been getting worse and worse. I just got a new PC today, and i have a Logitech Wave Pro wireless keyboard and mouse and the 2.4 ghz wireless usb dongle, and every time i move the mouse i get an annoying high pitch sound from the VXTs. Is this actually a monitor issue? Is there a way to sheild the monitors from this?
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear Head

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKellermusic View Post
I've had the VXT8s for a few years, and since i've moved to NYC the cell phone interference has been getting worse and worse. I just got a new PC today, and i have a Logitech Wave Pro wireless keyboard and mouse and the 2.4 ghz wireless usb dongle, and every time i move the mouse i get an annoying high pitch sound from the VXTs. Is this actually a monitor issue? Is there a way to sheild the monitors from this?
Someone in another thread said they lined the inside of their amp section within the speaker.

i'd LOVE someone to post a how-to on this with pictures.
Old 12th March 2011
Deleted a48073e
Quote:
Originally Posted by krksys View Post
I'll agree with the poster above. It is a matter of taste. The sound is similar between the speakers because all of our speakers are designed by the same person. That said, the VXTs are slightly more accurate in my opinion. They tend to show a bit more of detail in things like reverb tails and such. It's subtle, but you might appreciate it in the long run. Regarding low end, the VXT4s have ample amounts of low end for most practical purposes. Don't let the small size fool you. There's a lot down there.

Regarding HFI, the only issues we've had have been related to cell phones. The newer "smart phones" have a lot more signal going in and out of them these days and it's all across different bands. The nice thing about routers is that they tend to all be at around 2.4GHz and it's easy to shield for that.

As always, let me know if you have any questions at all.
Hi!

I'm Nicolas, i'm from Argentina(south america) and today i buyed a pair of KRK VXT4.
I'm having Radio Frequency Interference problems with the speakers, when i turn on the speakers without any cable plugged on it and i put my ear near the woofer i can listen little noise.
And when i plug the TRS jack on the monitor it's start to get RFI issues and i can listen the radio.

I tried to turn off all routers and telephones in my house and connecting the speakers on a dedicated electric outlet but it's the same...

What should i do? :(

Thanks a lot!

Anyone can help me?
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Maniac
i have the same issue !!! I can hear FM radio in my VXT4 . I tryed to shield inside with a aluminium adhesive tape but i still have this radio interference but less . Shielding the woofer ans tweeter cables can help? Someone please post here if there s another solution that helps.

update: One thing that helps for now is to put a cable from the TRS cable(on the head from the side that is plug on the speaker) to one of the screws from the rear aluminium panel of the VXT4 ( that is ground) , this shield all the TRS cable and the conector of the vxt and helps to put away 90% of the RFI
Old 9th May 2011
Here for the gear

I am also seriously looking into the VXT6s but I also am interested in the HS80Ms (mostly because of price). My room is 12ftx12ft (4x4 meters) so I dont need huge speakers but I still want good low end because I am primarily producing house and electro. Thoughts?
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi,

Just offering a possible solution to the various electrical noise interference experienced by some users.

I had an ongoing issue with EM/RF interference coming through my speakers (KRK RP5s). To cut a long story short, after spending considerable amounts of money and time (from attaching ferrite to every cable, to buying a new audio interface, PC power supply etc) I thought my KRKs were broken, but moving and connecting the speakers to other systems never reproduced the noise I was hearing in my own setup.

I had narrowed the noise problem down to something inside the PC - I put my ear next to the CPU and the noise coming from the fan resembled the interference I was hearing (a loud constant electronic zipper noise - You could literally hear the CPU number crunching and even mouse movements could be heard over the speakers), so as a last resort (which should of been the first place to check) I started switching things on and off inside the BIOS, when I came across a feature inside the CPU settings called "CPU Enhanced", which is a power saving option for certain CPUs. I disabled it and now my system is completely noise - That noise had gone on for ages, it drove me insane and I can't express what a stress relief it was to get rid of it... aaaaah!

My system is based on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4 motherboard with an Intel i7 920 CPU strapped to a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP interface, but the problem is with the AWARD BIOS, not the hardware! disabling the "CPU Enhanced" feature will not damage your CPU or any internal components - When enabled this feature, simply doesn't play well with some audio devices.

I hope this solution helps anyone else experiencing similar noise issues to which they are probably pulling hair out trying to solve - Such a simple solutions

Oh and my RP5s sound fantastic... now!
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I shot out my VXT6's and my friends HS80M. The HS80M's sounded clearer to me, but the mix translated better from the VXT's. And when I put on some albums, the HS80M's sounded harsh with less mids, and the vxts were sweet and smooth
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

krk rfi interference

this problem is present in all speakers mostly from cell phones.. if the phone is in close proximity to the monitor.. usually when there there is a call.. I love my vxt sixes

Last edited by fastsong; 14th September 2011 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMilos View Post
Silly question but, does you VXT monitors "stink" thru port holes?The smell is like "made in China rubber" type ( not burned rubber type) when you stick your nose to port hole and it's been since day 1 since I bought them.
lol Never thought to smell them. They taste like raspberries though.
Old 19th November 2011
PTS
Here for the gear

Just bought new VXT4s, and found no radio interference at all. I live in a city apartment, keep my iphone on desk, etc. So they must have fixed this issue?
Old 22nd November 2011
nms
Lives for gear

I tried replacing my VXT6 with a pair of Adam A7X (the new ones, not the old ones which are useless to me) but I realized right away the Adams had to go. I had them sold a couple days later. The port sound is a huge dealbreaker for me for house music where I can hear it on every kick drum. I did like the smoother highs and increased power.. but it really reiterated how insanely brilliant KRK's cabinet design is with the VXT series. The VXT6 is def the one to go for of the series. I could easily grab a pair of VXT8's and the power specs are much better, but the sound of them just isn't the same. The VXT's balanced by ERGO (which works hard to compensate for the limited low end extension) translate awesomely with exception of the missing low end where they roll off from 49hz. You have to be careful not to go too bass heavy accidentally compensating for that.

I REALLY wish that KRK would come out with a new monitor for around a $1600-2600 price range. They'd kill it. Some of the best cabinets in the business! 60w to the woofer and 30w to the tweeter is just not enough at all though. I won't go near anything as a replacement with less than 100+ to the woofer and 50+ to the tweeter.

IMO the KRK VXT6 are worth so much more than their price tag, but the Expose definitely overpriced in today's market. I MUCH prefer a 7" driver to an 8 as well. 8's aren't as good for tight sound in small rooms.

Come on guys! Time for a rocking new monitor!!
Old 10th December 2011
Gear Addict

Whats the crossover frequency for the VXT8..?

Can't find any info on this...
Old 12th December 2011
Gear Addict

Any KRK guy in here..?
Old 12th December 2011
nms
Lives for gear

No. I wish one of the krk guys would pop in here to clarify stuff now and then like other companies do and have some representation in the GS community.
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsong View Post
this problem is present in all speakers mostly from cell phones.. if the phone is in close proximity to the monitor.. usually when there there is a call..
Not with most studio monitors, seems much more of a problem with KRK models it seems.
Old 17th March 2012
Here for the gear

I'm puzzled by all of the posts concerning RFI with the VXT monitors. I've had my pair of VXT6 for about a year, and I have NEVER heard anything coming from them other than what is supposed to. They're dead silent even when I turn the volume on my I/O to 11. I'm not using any conditioners, and I have tons of electronic junk in my room. I have a wireless router about 8 inches away from one of my monitors. silence
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0r3 View Post
I'm puzzled by all of the posts concerning RFI with the VXT monitors. I've had my pair of VXT6 for about a year, and I have NEVER heard anything coming from them other than what is supposed to. They're dead silent even when I turn the volume on my I/O to 11. I'm not using any conditioners, and I have tons of electronic junk in my room. I have a wireless router about 8 inches away from one of my monitors. silence
is that the Spinal Tap I/O?
Old 14th October 2012
Here for the gear

The VXT monitors are extremely sensitive to radio frequency and other weird factors. That's sad for such expensive monitors. A very bad move by KRK!

For my problem with the VXTs was fortunately a solution that was also mentioned in the manual. My VXTs gave an enormous hum. They were apparently very sensitive to my external monitordisplay. I plugged the display into a different powersource than the interface, VXTs and computer and the problem was solved!

Furthermore, the VXT great. I have long hesitated between different monitors. VXTs were above my budget but I bought them anyway because it was a huge difference in quality compared to same price range and below. Hs80 was an option, but I found the VXTs much better.
Old 15th October 2012
Here for the gear

Good monitor for the price. Had the vxt4 for around a year. To me they suffer a bit from the 'smile' but they were a starting point. I sold them and grabbed a pair of Adam7X.
Depends on how you like to listen to your music.
2c.
Old 2nd February 2013
Here for the gear

VXT4 Interference problem fixed with clip-on ferrite rings

Until this morning, I also had the extremely annoying radio interference (RFI) bug that seems to haunt the VXT series monitors. However, some brilliant electronics insights by my boss solved it right away.

The problem is apparently that the input XLR cable is picking up radio signals through capacitive coupling. This is something that is not prevented by using a shielded cable with a balanced signal on twisted pair, as is the case in XLR cables.

The solution is to simply clamp a big ferrite clamp around the XLR cable directly behind the XLR connector that is plugged in the monitor. This acts as an inductor to all radio-frequency signals on the cable. Problem solved! I really hope this works for everyone.
Old 8th June 2014
Gear Nut

Hi,
Anyone upgraded from alesis m1 active 520 to krk vxt6 here? Any thoughts or regrets, please?
At the moment there is a special prize for the VXT6 at thomann.de.
Old 19th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomassmith View Post
Hi,
Anyone upgraded from alesis m1 active 520 to krk vxt6 here? Any thoughts or regrets, please?
At the moment there is a special prize for the VXT6 at thomann.de.
Wow, just looked this up. These are going RIDICULOUSLY cheap for what you're getting. Anyone know why so cheap?? :O

I'm tempted to get some more whilst they're going at this price!
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Wow, just looked this up. These are going RIDICULOUSLY cheap for what you're getting. Anyone know why so cheap?? :O

I'm tempted to get some more whilst they're going at this price!
Even cheaper than B-stock.
Available shortly (2-5 days)
It is really a bargain I am telling you!No other place you can buy for this price.
They offer 30 day money back guarantee with cheap returning post back to them, I asked them about it.
Still, I do not buy it 'cause it would possibly annoy neighbours.
Old 22nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomassmith View Post
Even cheaper than B-stock.
Available shortly (2-5 days)
It is really a bargain I am telling you!No other place you can buy for this price.
They offer 30 day money back guarantee with cheap returning post back to them, I asked them about it.
Still, I do not buy it 'cause it would possibly annoy neighbours.
Yeh it's ridiculously good value! I got some VXT6's and for slightly below average price last year (£600 a pair) and they were a bargain then. Having used both extensively I'd say they're just as useful for monitoring purposes as the Genelecs 8030/8040 series imho (although the Genelecs are a bit easier on the ears over long periods). At £480 a pair (or £440 b-stock) these are literally a bargain. I actually considered getting some more (possibly VXT4's) whilst they're cheap but I just can't justify the need for purchase unfortunately heh

Anyone looking for a decent pair of monitors, do not pass this one up!
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Yeh it's ridiculously good value! I got some VXT6's and for slightly below average price last year (£600 a pair) and they were a bargain then. Having used both extensively I'd say they're just as useful for monitoring purposes as the Genelecs 8030/8040 series imho (although the Genelecs are a bit easier on the ears over long periods). At £480 a pair (or £440 b-stock) these are literally a bargain. I actually considered getting some more (possibly VXT4's) whilst they're cheap but I just can't justify the need for purchase unfortunately heh

Anyone looking for a decent pair of monitors, do not pass this one up!
A good british producer told me this:

The genelecs suffer from inherent "smile eq" i find - it's like a fake high and low end you know?

Mind you, some people have told me that the KRKs sound very bright and upfront to them. it's all personal taste right?

So the sound image of the genelecs can be misleading.
In Hungary the retaliers in the shop recommended me to buy ATC SCM20A Pro MKII.
No mistakes in it.Just flawless.
Old 25th June 2014
Lives for gear

i've had vxt6's for two years now and I still love listening to my mixes (and any music) through them. I do find that mixes dont translate so well though, but my room has been a problem. I think they make the bottom end sound better than it really is too, but it is nice to be flattered sometimes.
Old 16th July 2014
Gear Nut

Ladies and gentlemen bargain alert on thomann.
£214/piece. ****....
Old 17th July 2014
Yep....
Been using the VST 6's for almost 3 years.
I Would not trade them. And would NOT hesitate to recommend highly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search