The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using the KRK VXT monitors? Studio Monitors
Old 6th December 2009
  #61
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by prog View Post
Finally I got the Vxt4's, and I've been loving them

I've had 2 small gripes though: the cell phone does ocasionally interfere, but that doesn't bother me. The other problem is that today one speaker shut down by itself. I assume it's because of the overheat protection circuit, but the monitors had been on for not much time (say 2 hours, and volume was low). The backplate was kinda hot (the backplate of the other speaker was hot too), though maybe it's normal temperature (I don't have anything to compare it to).

Anyway, waited for 30 minutes and powered it on again- everything's been fine since.

Other than that, the sound quality is GREAT, I don't regret this purchase one bit
Did you check the switches on the back of the speaker? Maybe auto-mute is on.
Old 6th December 2009
  #62
Gear Maniac
 
prog's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
Did you check the switches on the back of the speaker? Maybe auto-mute is on.
Indeed. What surprised me was that it shut down while playing music throught them....then realized the volume was very low, so probably it was under the automute treshold. Now everytime that happens I turn the volume up and the speaker powers on again. User error after all heh
Old 4th March 2010
  #63
Here for the gear
 

if you wanna ever sell them Gen 1032A I'll take em ...

I have new Krk Rokit 8 (well 2months old) and a Rokit 10s sub to go against the deal if you are ever interested ...I have Rokit 5 but keep them for mixing..The 1032A would be great for v.loud playback for some deaf clients!

cheers
Lou
Old 6th March 2010
  #64
Lives for gear
 
PeteJames's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesfromindia View Post
i have the VXT8s. i love them. what i love about them is they need to be pushed for the woofer to get producing the lows. and thats what i wanted. a monitor that could handle high SPL and still keep its integrity.
I want monitors that can produce good bass without being pushed to deafening levels - is this not possible with the vxt8 then? I don't like it when you have to turn the monitors up a lot just to hear a good level of detail in the bass
Old 9th June 2010
  #65
Lives for gear
 

I'm reactivating this thread to see what the current feeling about the VXT's is?

I'm considering switching from my Adam A7's to VXT 6's. I really like the A7's but truth be told I have never really "got on" with them 100%.

I am interested in the VXT's as some colleagues use KRK monitors and I really like the way their mids translate. My balance translate well with the A7's they just come across a bit distant which I think is me compensating for the forward tweeter on the Adams.

I'm tempted therefore to hear the VXT6's have excellent detail and stereo spread and solid bass (something I've yearned a little for with the A7's)

So I would be interested to hear from your experiences what with these having been out on sale for a while.

Thanks,
Iwan
____________
Old 10th June 2010
  #66
Gear Head
 
powlow's Avatar
 

I'm very happy with my vxt4s. They seem to translate really well, even in my less than ideal listening conditions. The sound could be described as a little forward but the detail is excellent. Not had any experience with the VXT8s.
Old 10th June 2010
  #67
Gear Maniac
 
prog's Avatar
 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by powlow View Post
I'm very happy with my vxt4s. They seem to translate really well, even in my less than ideal listening conditions. The sound could be described as a little forward but the detail is excellent. Not had any experience with the VXT8s.
Me too.
Old 24th June 2010
  #68
Here for the gear
 

Got my VXT4s a couple of days ago. So far so good, but i came from Samson media one speakers..
Old 5th July 2010
  #69
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
I'm reactivating this thread to see what the current feeling about the VXT's is?

I'm considering switching from my Adam A7's to VXT 6's. I really like the A7's but truth be told I have never really "got on" with them 100%.

I am interested in the VXT's as some colleagues use KRK monitors and I really like the way their mids translate. My balance translate well with the A7's they just come across a bit distant which I think is me compensating for the forward tweeter on the Adams.

I'm tempted therefore to hear the VXT6's have excellent detail and stereo spread and solid bass (something I've yearned a little for with the A7's)

So I would be interested to hear from your experiences what with these having been out on sale for a while.

Thanks,
Iwan
____________


+1

I sold A7s couple of days ago and ordered VXT6s earlier today. If everything's ok, I'll pick them up tomorrow. When comparing the 2 speakers in shop I got the impression that VXTs are a bit more full down there (but not thunderous, of course) and softer in highs. I used Metallica's Death Magnetic as a test for tweeters; an awfull sounding album, especially in the mids and highs. A7s revealed the dirt and VXTs revealed it too, but not in the A7's brutal fashion ( I guess it's the ART tweeter).
IMHO, both are good speakers, they just represent the music in different ways. To my ears, A7s were a bit too analytical and trebley and I kept thinking about them too much while composing...so I'll go with the KRKs, hoping to get more "general" (not so analytical) sound and more bass, as well as a decent mixing tool. If you're interested, I can post my 2 cents again later this week when speakers break in. Cheerz,

I.
Old 5th July 2010
  #70
Lives for gear
 

Would definitely be interested in your experiences. I've bumped the bass control up on the A7s a little just to warm them up a touch.
Old 6th July 2010
  #71
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
Would definitely be interested in your experiences. I've bumped the bass control up on the A7s a little just to warm them up a touch.

My setting for A7 was +2 on bass and -2 on both tweeter and >6 heh . It's interesting that guys from Adam implement such radical eq's on their speakers...I mean, you can really alter the sound with +6 or -4 dB (but you can't get away from the signature sound, at least I couldn't do it - no matter what I did, tweeter was just too much for me; adding more than 3dB at <150Hz resulted in un-natural sound, like that boost was too much for them to handle).
I'll have to check eq on the P11 at the TV station where I work and hear how speakers react on eq changes,although I'm sure P11 won't need that much eq-ing .They are much more balanced,bass is quite good (I'd like even more, though) and they somehow sound more serious than A7, if you know what I mean.
My plan heh is to compose and do a rough mix on VXTs and than fine tune on P11s and BM12s if needed; I hope that VXTs would suit the task better than A7s.
Old 7th July 2010
  #72
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
Would definitely be interested in your experiences.

My first impressions, as promised:

1. fuller low end compared to A7. Not spectacular, but it kicks harder than Adams' ;

2. highs are on the softer side with some silky quality to them. I payed more attention to bass so I'm not 100% sure, but they seem little less revealing than Adams', as expected. This doesen't mean that they are dark - on the contrary, they are forward and bright but not in Adams' way ;

3. mids-I like them so far. Forward, but nice and natural.

4. they sound "big", soundstage is impressive (similar to Adams'). Maybe I'm tired already, but I think I hear panning nuances better than on A7s;

5. they are nicely built and look like a tank.Connections, switches,pots etc. on the back panel - everything looking and working fine. Let's hope components inside are up to the task, too.


All in all, I'm happy so far. I'll see how they perform after the break-in period and how they behave in the mix before any conclusions. Cheerz,

I.
Old 7th July 2010
  #73
Lives for gear
the vxt 6 has a ultra fast transient response, that means you can always understand what the bass vs the kick is doing

I really like that

plus the mids are great and very revealing, I can hear the noise gate working in the pink floyd albums (dark side of the moon, and others)

when I switch to the auratone or ns10 they sound pretty similar, I mean much fuller, but the transient response and mids clarity it's similar, much more similar than with other speakers I got (dynaudio)
Old 10th July 2010
  #74
Lives for gear
 

Implant,
Thanks for your reply, I do prefer the A7's since I tweaked the EQ but am still not 100% with them. Would really appreciate more of your thoughts after you have had more time with them, as I am toying with purchasing a pair to demo here alongside the A7's so that I can compare side by side.
Old 12th July 2010
  #75
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
Implant,
Thanks for your reply, I do prefer the A7's since I tweaked the EQ but am still not 100% with them. Would really appreciate more of your thoughts after you have had more time with them, as I am toying with purchasing a pair to demo here alongside the A7's so that I can compare side by side.

Hey Recall,

I can tell you that after a week or so I like VXTs even more than the first day. I engaged -1db (hi cut) as I found them a tad bright for my room and my ears ( also, I sit fairly close to speakers).
Personally, I don't understand people saying that A7s are "in different league" and "class above" the VXTs. Sure, ART tweeter gives you more info in highs and mids, but with A7s I was almost lost down there. VXTs have much better bass while maintaining more than enough info in highs for normal work, at least to my ears. Highs tend to be softier and silkier than Adams', but I'm still not sure if this is a fault or not - I'll tell you more when I do a mix on KRKs...
Now about those mids-I heard a lot of people complaining about KRKs mids being too agressive and too forward. To my ears (again), VXTs mids are not more agressive and forward than A7s. In fact I find them similar, with VXTs a bit more "nice" (translate this as "I'll let you hear everything, but I won't stab your ears with that" ).
Anyway, I think that both speakers have their strong and weak points and it really comes to personal taste and music style. I still have to do a mix on VXTs before any verdicts, but judging by some composing work I did in the last couple of days I find them better suited to my style (house and other bassy stuff) and more "normal" sounding than A7s (for my taste A7s lack bass for such a forward tweeter). Hope this helps a little. Cheerz,

I.
Old 12th July 2010
  #76
Lives for gear
 

Thanks Implant,
Sounds like a demo is on the cards. One thing I was speaking to a mastering engineer about was that there were very few hi-fi monitors with ribbon tweeters. He felt that mixing on ribbon based systems was misleading.
Old 12th July 2010
  #77
Lives for gear
 
Worlez's Avatar
 

If it's of any interest, I have a pair of 12 month old VXT6's I'm selling, £500.

Cheers

Al
Old 13th July 2010
  #78
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
Thanks Implant,
Sounds like a demo is on the cards. One thing I was speaking to a mastering engineer about was that there were very few hi-fi monitors with ribbon tweeters. He felt that mixing on ribbon based systems was misleading.

You're welcome, hope to hear your impressions soon . Cheerz,

I.
Old 16th July 2010
  #79
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krksys View Post
Just a heads up for everyone that we are currently troubleshooting why our speakers are susceptible to RFI in certain environments. The fact is, after investigating numerous situations so far, all we have found is that every situation is unpredictable and different.

I'll be happy to report anything we figure out, and I'd also like to hear any stories that people are experiencing with the speakers they own. Please contact me at the email below if you can.

Thanks!
I have a par of VXT6 and I do have o lot RFI problems with them. Is it normal to get noise from cellular phone even if it´s like 1 meter away from the speakers??
I am about to turn my room into 5.1 and want to get another VXT6 for the center channel, 1 sub 10 and 2 VXT4 for surround, but I am really concerning about the RFI situation.
Is there any tips that I should to lower that noise?
Thanks!
Damião.
Old 29th July 2010
  #80
Gear Addict
 
Markus Stock's Avatar
 

Anyone using the KRK VXT monitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by implant


Hey Recall,

I can tell you that after a week or so I like VXTs even more than the first day. I engaged -1db (hi cut) as I found them a tad bright for my room and my ears ( also, I sit fairly close to speakers).
Personally, I don't understand people saying that A7s are "in different league" and "class above" the VXTs. Sure, ART tweeter gives you more info in highs and mids, but with A7s I was almost lost down there. VXTs have much better bass while maintaining more than enough info in highs for normal work, at least to my ears. Highs tend to be softier and silkier than Adams', but I'm still not sure if this is a fault or not - I'll tell you more when I do a mix on KRKs...
Now about those mids-I heard a lot of people complaining about KRKs mids being too agressive and too forward. To my ears (again), VXTs mids are not more agressive and forward than A7s. In fact I find them similar, with VXTs a bit more "nice" (translate this as "I'll let you hear everything, but I won't stab your ears with that" ).
Anyway, I think that both speakers have their strong and weak points and it really comes to personal taste and music style. I still have to do a mix on VXTs before any verdicts, but judging by some composing work I did in the last couple of days I find them better suited to my style (house and other bassy stuff) and more "normal" sounding than A7s (for my taste A7s lack bass for such a forward tweeter). Hope this helps a little. Cheerz,

I.
Exactly my thoughts when I was comparing vxt6 to the Adams. Both are revealing but the Vxt's are a little easier on the ear. Have the treble at -1 too and run them with a sub. Excellent speaker. Imaging is superb and the transient response is extremely fast. They translate very well to Aura/Avantone/ns10 type speakers. I am doing extreme Metal in which midrange clarity is very important AND listening comfort as well. I love them for tracking and mixing!
Old 30th July 2010
  #81
Gear Maniac
 

Another A7 to VXT6 switcher here
Very satisfied with my VXT6. I almost feel that I can hear even better reverb tails on VXT6 and that the stereo image is better also.The auto mute function is mega cool and I wont touch on/off switch in near future thumbsup
The only area that performed better on A7 compared to VXT6 are the vocals.
They were more natural with in your face effect while on VXT they sound different ,pulled back a little bit and not so pleasant like on Adams.
I do mostly electronica so this speaker is like invented for it.
Summary (VXT6 vs A7):
-Better bass response
-Very present and detailed highs and midrange(which is a little pulled off if you are used to forward ADAM signature sound)
-To me , stereo image is wider also
-Limiter and auto mute , great addons
-louder than A7
-VXT6 has ****ty volume knob
- This speaker presents transients as good as A7
-speaker is more balanced- good ratio between bass , mids and highs unlike A7 which is 60% highs ,40% mids and 0% bass( and look, when you hear one your cone is buzzing dfegad...)

Adam Audio , buzzing issue - dissatisfied customer tutt


When I was buying reference monitors I choosed A7 over VXT6 because all I heard was emphasized bass on VXTs in small demo room...
In my room, totally different story
Old 30th July 2010
  #82
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMilos View Post
Another A7 to VXT6 switcher here
Very satisfied with my VXT6. I almost feel that I can hear even better reverb tails on VXT6 and that the stereo image is better also.The auto mute function is mega cool and I wont touch on/off switch in near future thumbsup
The only area that performed better on A7 compared to VXT6 are the vocals.
They were more natural with in your face effect while on VXT they sound different ,pulled back a little bit and not so pleasant like on Adams.
I do mostly electronica so this speaker is like invented for it.
Summary (VXT6 vs A7):
-Better bass response
-Very present and detailed highs and midrange(which is a little pulled off if you are used to forward ADAM signature sound)
-To me , stereo image is wider also
-Limiter and auto mute , great addons
-louder than A7
-VXT6 has ****ty volume knob
- This speaker presents transients as good as A7
-speaker is more balanced- good ratio between bass , mids and highs unlike A7 which is 60% highs ,40% mids and 0% bass( and look, when you hear one your cone is buzzing dfegad...)

Adam Audio , buzzing issue - dissatisfied customer tutt
How about fatigue? Can you tell which one is more fatiguing? Thanks.
Old 31st July 2010
  #83
Gear Maniac
 

I haven't used VXT6's for extended period time yet but Adam A7's were definitely harsher on high end so probably more fatiguing.
Old 13th December 2010
  #84
Gear Nut
 
Superfly76's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damião Lopes View Post
I have a par of VXT6 and I do have o lot RFI problems with them. Is it normal to get noise from cellular phone even if it´s like 1 meter away from the speakers??
I am about to turn my room into 5.1 and want to get another VXT6 for the center channel, 1 sub 10 and 2 VXT4 for surround, but I am really concerning about the RFI situation.
Is there any tips that I should to lower that noise?
Thanks!
Damião.
As a rule, I don't allow cell phones in the studio. Especially while tracking.

Yes, your experience is common with all monitors I've used.
Old 30th December 2010
  #85
Gear Nut
 
Superfly76's Avatar
I've been in the market for new monitors for a while now. The ML driver on my TR5 monitors were blown this summer. I finally got the cash to replace them this Christmas. I went out and had a listen to MSP7s, A7s, and a few others including Dynaudios and JBLs. I am now a happy owner of a new set of KRK VXT8 monitors. I love these things! Good highs, the bass goes way low but isn't artificially boosted, and the soundstage is clear.

I've had them for 2 days now and have been breaking them in with some of my favorite music. These things can go loud! I usually mix at low volumes, but I'm glad to not have to worry about a client reaching for the volume knob and blowing the speakers. That's what happened to my poor Events.

Needless to say, these are a huge upgrade coming from my trusty Event TR5s.
Old 18th January 2011
  #86
Gear Head
 

I've been really happy with my VXT4+sub, but i've moved to a bigger room and needed a bit more jam.

I picked up a used set of VXT6's, and they exhibit a very faint hum. The VXT4's plugged into the same outlets, using the same balanced inputs, are dead silent.

The hum on the VXT6's does not scale with audio level input - it's just always there. Granted, the hum is VERY quiet, but it's still there and since my room is so darn quiet, It's driving me bonkers.

This does not seem to be an RFI issue, and I know that I don't have any grounding problems since my VXT4's are doing everything right.

Does anyone else have a very faint 60hz hum coming from their VXT6 if they put their ear right to the woofer? (input plugged in, input not plugged in, doesn't seem to matter).

Any advice appreciated, but I get the feeling I may have to open them up and replace the transformers. I have no recourse as I bought them used.

Cheers,
~spoonie
Old 19th January 2011
  #87
Here for the gear
 

Anyone using the KRK VXT monitors?

spoonie, I've had the 8s for a few weeks now and I've also experienced a hum on one of mine? almost sounds like a ground loop problem? long story short I'm waiting for my distributor to exchange/repair as I have no idea what it is :-(

THAT SAID, IMO they are very transparent monitors and I'm happy that the mid and low end aren't flattering and exaggerated at all like the rockit range. I am extremely pleased with them and glad I chose them over the a7s although I might add that they're quite large so I would not recommend them for small or untreated rooms
hope this is some help to people
Old 19th January 2011
  #88
Gear Head
 

Well, I just did two things.

I tried one speaker with a ground-lift power cable (eeeee...dodgy!) - no change. With or w/o balanced audio in, made no difference. Tried the audio-ground lift-switch - no change in either circumstance (wasn't expecting any luck there).

I also swapped back in my VXT4's - and - lo and behold - the noise was there - and it was NOT there before.

I ran the gamut of breakers in my house.. no change.

This leads me to a conclusion:

Something has changed in my house or setup (power-use meter on the side of the house?) - and it's possible that there's nothing wrong w/ my newly acquired speakers at all.

As for RFI - both the VXT4 and the VXT6 sure love amplifying my cellphone :D

Next step: Take one of these vxt6 boxes to work and plug it in. Failing that, rent a HumX and see if that solves the problem.
Old 19th January 2011
  #89
Gear Addict
 

am selling a pair of KRK VTX6 only used 2 weeks, mint condition in box as new, offers by PM, cheers.
Old 25th January 2011
  #90
Gear Head
 

Well, looks like I probably have a power conditioning problem at home.

I brought one to work, plugged it in, and other than the quiet hiss to let me know its on, it is otherwise dead silent.

It's a kind of good-news/bad-news thing. Now I have a power problem to fix. Whee.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Groove Dog / So much gear, so little time
47
fuzzface777 / So much gear, so little time
18
CJ1973 / So much gear, so little time
7
johnnyrock / Low End Theory
10
efwah / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump