The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone using the KRK VXT monitors? Studio Monitors
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear Head

yeah, it happens with every cell device that ventures near my VXTs, it's just that it's worse with the iPhone (when I forget to switch on airplane mode).
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
Hi! Have been using the VXT6s for about a month; great monitors.

Have A/B'd them against Genelec 8030/8040, Dynaudio BM5a/BM6a and Adam A7...

I also did mixes on the Genelec and ADAM; the thing that I felt with the Genelecs is that mixes sound finished a little to soon... Meaning that something that may sound balanced and focused on the 8030s usually sound a little clouded and lacks detail when played back on other speakers. The ADAMs have a slightly similar sound to the NS10s in the 4kHz range and so my mixes were a little soft on other systems. I also felt that vocals sounded kinda sibilant so I applied too much de esser...

The bottom end on the Genelecs are better than the ADAMs, but they are nowhere near as detailed and defined as the KRKs. Try mixing a tune with an upright bass or a rock n roll tune with crunchy guitars, oomph in a 4x12 cab and see if you can ever manage to get the bass guitar right....

The KRKs are also very good at reproducing transients; makes it even easier to tell tthe difference between converters/a good or badly clocked system; so now I'm really enjoying my Universal Audio 2192 interface!heh

The last thing that I first thought was gonna be a bit of a problem was that the KRKs had such a wide stereo image... I thought my mixes might be a bit narrow when played back on other systems.
After mixing on the, however, I realized that it was actually a better resolution from center to extreme left and right.
Mixing ITB I usually couldn't tell the difference between panning in 7-8 cent increments (Nuendo is + - 100); now I can hear differences in 2 cent increments!!!! Makes creating a sensible stereo image a lot easier for things like shakers, acoustic guitars, hihat etc... It also helped a lot in deciding how wide you make a M/S stereo recording.
And phase relationships are also easeier to figure out; equals better mono compatibility! Sweet....

Hope that helps

Morten
i know it's old, but i would like to know which differences you've heard between krk and dynaudios
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
Does anyone in the meanwhile use ANY model of the VXT Series? Except a single review which sounded more like advertisement I didn't find any user review on the net! This is very strange, seems that the new VXT aren't very good.

i have the VXT8s. i love them. what i love about them is they need to be pushed for the woofer to get producing the lows. and thats what i wanted. a monitor that could handle high SPL and still keep its integrity. just like the expose'. they also need loud volumes to function correctly. also, KRK just came out with their ERGO system. one of THE BEST room correction systems i think.

most people say to get the 6's and run a 2.1 system but i prefer not to mix on a sub. just keep that in mind too.
Old 2nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesfromindia View Post
i have the VXT8s. i love them. what i love about them is they need to be pushed for the woofer to get producing the lows. and thats what i wanted. a monitor that could handle high SPL and still keep its integrity. just like the expose'. they also need loud volumes to function correctly. also, KRK just came out with their ERGO system. one of THE BEST room correction systems i think.

most people say to get the 6's and run a 2.1 system but i prefer not to mix on a sub. just keep that in mind too.
At what "High SPL" are you refering to? 84 and up dB?
Old 2nd May 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracus72 View Post
I bought my VXT's with the last of my bursary money from college, along with Cubase 4. They were the best buys I made! (forget you, PooTools!) I think these monitors are great. I love the sweet spot. Anyone listening in nearly any part of the room can hear the mix properly. And Everything is so clear. It's so much harder to make editing mistakes on these monitors. They just glare out from the mix.

And that's better than the monitors they had at the school when I was mixing there (Yamaha HS10's). Actually, I found the school monitors too harsh at times. Like they were being pushed past their sweet sound. My KRK's always sound smooth. It takes a terrible mix to make them sound bad. And then you know you messed up.

I love the VXT's. I wouldn't trade them. Unless you were offering the Expose's.

Bracus

if it sounds bad on ns-10's... it will sound ****ty on everything else...atleast from my experience ns 10's arent the best to listen to music on..... but when it comes to mixing a record they do the job
Old 2nd May 2009
Lives for gear

I had VXT8s.....I think they sound good at lower volumes, but they tend to sound somewhat aggresive when the volume is turned up. Just not linear enough to my ears.

I enjoyed em though, and could mix on them, but they didnt stand out that much for me.
Old 15th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPl View Post
At what "High SPL" are you refering to? 84 and up dB?
I dont keep an SPL meter on me. so lets say sure.

I mean, because they are a bigger woofer, and magnet, it takes a lot more power to get them to their full excursion potential. which is where they produce a flatter response.
Old 15th June 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
They pickup signals from other electronic devices and radio transmitters. Cellular and wifi but also from very other electronics like computers that work with high frequency.
so then these probably wouldn't be the greatest for a dorm room?
Old 15th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserWolf View Post
so then these probably wouldn't be the greatest for a dorm room?
i NEVER have problems with this.

depends on where you are. i have wifi, cell phones, multiple computers.
Old 15th June 2009
Gear Head

Just a heads up for everyone that we are currently troubleshooting why our speakers are susceptible to RFI in certain environments. The fact is, after investigating numerous situations so far, all we have found is that every situation is unpredictable and different.

I'll be happy to report anything we figure out, and I'd also like to hear any stories that people are experiencing with the speakers they own. Please contact me at the email below if you can.

Thanks!
Old 15th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Both I and a friend use VXT6's in our home setup's and we both put our iphones right by the monitors - no problems here - actually it seems cool for your monitors to tell you your phones about to ring!!!
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Nut

I have a pair of vxt 4's and also always experience the cell phone problem. I have just gotten used to putting my phone far away before sitting at the desk.
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by krksys View Post
Just a heads up for everyone that we are currently troubleshooting why our speakers are susceptible to RFI in certain environments. The fact is, after investigating numerous situations so far, all we have found is that every situation is unpredictable and different.

I'll be happy to report anything we figure out, and I'd also like to hear any stories that people are experiencing with the speakers they own. Please contact me at the email below if you can.

Thanks!
Lower the price on the ERGONA
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Maniac

I think its actually nice that we have so many good options for around a 1000$

Dynaudio BM5a, Genelec 80xx Series, ADAM A seris, KRK VXTs, Focal CM Series. For serious home studios its a blessing.

I personally think the KRK VXT4 is probably the best monitor out thats well under a 1000$. Sure its small and its bass response isn't going to be amazing but I would far rather have a 4" VXT than a 8" Rokit or Event TR or what ever crap you can get for 500$. Especially for home studios, the people in those budgets rarely have treated rooms (or are just starting treatment) they really have other issues they need to take care of before where about lowend extension.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashofapheonix View Post
I think its actually nice that we have so many good options for around a 1000$

Dynaudio BM5a, Genelec 80xx Series, ADAM A seris, KRK VXTs, Focal CM Series. For serious home studios its a blessing.

I personally think the KRK VXT4 is probably the best monitor out thats well under a 1000$. Sure its small and its bass response isn't going to be amazing but I would far rather have a 4" VXT than a 8" Rokit or Event TR or what ever crap you can get for 500$. Especially for home studios, the people in those budgets rarely have treated rooms (or are just starting treatment) they really have other issues they need to take care of before where about lowend extension.
exactly! the VXT 4 has been a serious step up in my monitoring...a massive improvement and the right size for my room...although I'm still getting to know them properly in conjuntion with my room, I actually found them to be quite revealing. I mixed on some much larger genelec and found the lows and mid-lows to be overpowered later listening on a hifi etc. Even the VXT4 showed how that low/mid-low area to be excessive, although clearly not down to the lowest limit. Still, my point is they did reveal extra information due to the limitation of the speaker size.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

I didn't have problems with RFI on my V4's, unless I left my phone somewhat close to the speakers. It wasn't really a problem to keep it away. I like my v4's quite a bit. I've used them for quite some time until upgrading to RM2's, but I still kept my v4's.

-D
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Head

I also have some RFI problems with my VXT 4s (I have a pair).
The noise shows up just before my mobile phone starts ringing and only stops when I end the call (or walk away of course).
Also sometimes I get a short period of noise for no reason with the mobile phone in my pocket (I suppose mobile phones check with base stations everynow and again).

However, I am very happy with my monitoring since I bought them. Great little pair of monitors.
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

I'm selling a pair of KRK VXT 6s in Melbourne, Australia

pm me if you're interested thumbsup
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by krksys View Post

Thanks!
I have tried this:
Shielding with copper painting. I have done some decoupling of the op-amps power feed. I have added ferrite on the speaker cables and I have put a decoupling cap on the speakers. Result is that I don't get any shortwave radios stations RFI. It suppress cellular but I still can interfere it with a phone with a distance of about 1 meter. And they are still very noisy so I think it would be a good idea to reduce the gain on some of the op-amps. (I dont need the high SPL so i gladly trade the maximum SPL with a lower noise.) But it cant be done without help from KRK sys provideing the schematics.
Old 29th June 2009
Here for the gear

Love the vxt6's great detail accurate midrange. I found the 8's very hyped.
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Hey guys. I'm trying to decide between the VXT4 or the RP6(g2) (strangely, here in Argentina I can get them at the same price).

I've tried both and though the vxt4 sounds very nice, it lacks a bit of body and low end the rp6 has, and didn't notice a world of difference in detail and "flatness" in the midrange and highs.

Though I have listened to many different monitors (from 15" Genelecs to the ****tiest Tascams heh) I don't have really trained ears for this kind of decisions yet.

The room isn't small (4mx4,5m 3,5m tall) but space where the monitors would sit is tight, but I could manage to fit the rp6 (or even the vxt6 if I save enough). They'd be real close to the wall though (say...1" or 2", just enough to bend the cable heh), and at a distance of less than 20" approx. to my ears.

Low end reproduction could be pretty erratic if I go for the 6"s, right?

Right now I'm leaning towards the vxt4, though I'd kind of miss the body and low end of a pair of 6" speakers, but I'm willing to compromise if it's worth it.

Lastly, regarding HFI, I have a router placed below the table where the monitors would be placed (like 12" apart from the monitors), that can't be good, right?

Sorry for so much questions and thanks heh
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Off topic...

I love the counterpoint between Bilalshabazz's and Prog's avatars.
Old 18th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by prog View Post
Hey guys. I'm trying to decide between the VXT4 or the RP6(g2) (strangely, here in Argentina I can get them at the same price).

I've tried both and though the vxt4 sounds very nice, it lacks a bit of body and low end the rp6 has, and didn't notice a world of difference in detail and "flatness" in the midrange and highs.

Though I have listened to many different monitors (from 15" Genelecs to the ****tiest Tascams heh) I don't have really trained ears for this kind of decisions yet.

The room isn't small (4mx4,5m 3,5m tall) but space where the monitors would sit is tight, but I could manage to fit the rp6 (or even the vxt6 if I save enough). They'd be real close to the wall though (say...1" or 2", just enough to bend the cable heh), and at a distance of less than 20" approx. to my ears.

Right now I'm leaning towards the vxt4, though I'd kind of miss the body and low end of a pair of 6" speakers, but I'm willing to compromise if it's worth it.

Lastly, regarding HFI, I have a router placed below the table where the monitors would be placed (like 12" apart from the monitors), that can't be good, right?

Old 18th August 2009
Gear Head

hey, prog.

first and most important: pelé >>> maradona.

about your question, i think these monitors are very close in their pros and cons, so it's down to personal taste. the best solution would be bringing the two pairs to your room to see which one will translate better there.

the router can cause RFI, i guess, but you'll have to test the monitors there to confirm if this can really be an issue.
Old 18th August 2009
Gear Head

doube post
Old 21st August 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by prog View Post

I'll agree with the poster above. It is a matter of taste. The sound is similar between the speakers because all of our speakers are designed by the same person. That said, the VXTs are slightly more accurate in my opinion. They tend to show a bit more of detail in things like reverb tails and such. It's subtle, but you might appreciate it in the long run. Regarding low end, the VXT4s have ample amounts of low end for most practical purposes. Don't let the small size fool you. There's a lot down there.

Regarding HFI, the only issues we've had have been related to cell phones. The newer "smart phones" have a lot more signal going in and out of them these days and it's all across different bands. The nice thing about routers is that they tend to all be at around 2.4GHz and it's easy to shield for that.

As always, let me know if you have any questions at all.
Old 21st August 2009
Gear Head

I upgraded from rp5s to the VXT4s, and to me the difference was pretty big - the vxt4s are definitely way more detailed and accurate. I mix with a sub, so I can't really comment on low end response between the two, but for me the vxts just blow the rockits into bits (at least the older model rp5s I had, not the newer gen.)
peace,
digdug
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Maniac

Finally I got the Vxt4's, and I've been loving them

I've had 2 small gripes though: the cell phone does ocasionally interfere, but that doesn't bother me. The other problem is that today one speaker shut down by itself. I assume it's because of the overheat protection circuit, but the monitors had been on for not much time (say 2 hours, and volume was low). The backplate was kinda hot (the backplate of the other speaker was hot too), though maybe it's normal temperature (I don't have anything to compare it to).

Anyway, waited for 30 minutes and powered it on again- everything's been fine since.

Other than that, the sound quality is GREAT, I don't regret this purchase one bit
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Any GSM phone (BlackBerry iPhone, etc) will do that to any speaker when close enough.
Old 5th December 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I listened to the KRK Rockit 6's and 8's this weekend and compared to to the Yamaha HS80M's. Also listened to the VXT's and I just couldn't justify the cost of the VXt's. Even if I could, I just prefered the Yamaha HS80M's and bought them.
Man, the difference between the Rockit 6(G2) and the VXT6 is something like the Grand Canyon. The Rockit serie doesn't sound PRO to me. While the VXT is
simply amazing, Hi-end sound, detailed, incredible HF response, worth every
penny.

I've just bought a pair of VXT6 and I'm in love with them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search