The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ThreeQ vs. RNC Channel Strips
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

ThreeQ vs. RNC

So ,Im gonna buy my first hardware comp.
Its primarily for vocals, but it would be totally sweet if I could use it on Snare too.

I know theyre kinda different, The threeq is supposed to be more colored, but I have no idea if its a coloration i want.

The sort of music im mainly mixing is punkrock, Poppunk & Hardcore.

And the vocal sound(compression type) im after is aggressive as hell, CLA style. And for software compression i use uad la2a & 1176.

what do you think, which one would suit me best?
Old 9th September 2007
the rnc will be a great tracking compressor if you are rocking in the box mixes, and want that totally untouched yet tamed kind of thing. it is not good at imparting funk and making this rule in a new way.

i highly suggest rocking a dbx 163x also, they are so cheap, and you can pull a little funkiness in there easily.

the art pro vla is also a VERY NICE pairing with the rnc. rnc fast attack fast release into vla slow attack hitting much harder will give you a wonderful, much more expensive sounding vocal comp.

that being said, i track almost anything i can with two compressors, or none at all. rarely one.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

I just picked up a VC3Q used at GC today. You can get some very aggressive sounds out of it, but it's not the most universal comp. It's got a lot of color. You'd probably be better off getting both.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Sounds like you need a channel strip more so than a compressor. I would go with the 3Q for versatility. I tried one out before I bought the 6Q, and I really like the 6Q.

Craig
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you want something more colored, you should look at the RNLA rather than the RNC. The RNC is great but generally pretty clean.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

I picked up a 3q a while ago used for like $100. I A/B'd it against a couple other cheapies pres I had with an sm57 (I think it was an audio buddy and a tube mp). The 3q sounded noticeably better then the other pres on vocals (like YEA!). Quite frankly though I wasnt impressed with the compressor on it - it seemed really hard to dial in...maybe it was just my unit though. I wound up never touching the comp or eq section after a while. If you can score a 3q used for $100-125 you really cant go wrong.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search