The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase vs Reaper
Old 20th January 2009
Lives for gear

Don't feel restricted to using one DAW. I love to record audio in Pro Tools, the fact that you can change the tempo and it speeds up all the audio is a great feature, and also I like the logical workflow for the audio. For MIDI, I use either SONAR or Cubase, and to mix it's SONAR all the way. I use all three
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidraulico View Post
A few months ago I was using sonar, and then, just curious, I downloaded Reaper. But wait..., 3.4 Mb ..., is something wrong here..., double click and voila!!
Everything I need and more, routing, grouping, foldering, spliting, effects, amazing forum, now I know...., I am a very lucky guy.
Yeah it's amazing how other DAWs are cumbersomely freakin' big, and REAPER is concise as all-hell in physical disk space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTSH View Post
Don't feel restricted to using one DAW. I love to record audio in Pro Tools, the fact that you can change the tempo and it speeds up all the audio is a great feature, and also I like the logical workflow for the audio. For MIDI, I use either SONAR or Cubase, and to mix it's SONAR all the way. I use all three
Based on my PC, REAPER is the only program that gives me the professionalism that I need ( I use a ****load of plugins on my lead and background vocals chains)
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 View Post
popmann.
on the reaper forums ive seen folks report very low latency.
whats your sound device ?? you tried with reaper ??
if its an expensive sound device with its own user control
panel, i found with one device i had to go into the user control panel and change some settings.
with great respect i feel your writing off reaper too quickly.
its one of those apps that has a lot of power under the hood , that a cursory glance might not reveal. right clik is your friend.
i suspect the squishyness is settings related.
it sounds like you dont want to pursue it further, but if you do..
the reaper forum and reaper chat might be of assistance to you.
I think the other question is when did you do this test and what version where you testing?
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Maniac

REAPER is so great. I'm just now getting deep into it. I love it.
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

reaper is sounding fine here.

my only real huge major earth-shattering gripe with reaper is the lack of control room channels.

So if the band is downstairs doing some gtr overdubs, and i want to solo just the gtr straight out of reaper, it will kill all other channels. The solo cuts out way back before the fader, all the way to the source on all track channels, which is ass-backwards coming from consoles.

I have to do a work-around by monitoring with the fireface mixer, getting on an unused headphone channel and soloing the track there.

i expect this will be fixed soon cause i freaked the f*** out when i discovered this.

Other than that and some crashing bugs ive found recently, reaper is here to stay with me. I have a few more gripes but ill save them for the cockos forum whenever i get time to sign up there.

Oh and my latency is around 2/3ms with small/med sessions, about 9ms with med/large sessions (55 tracks). And i can hack that down to 3 again with some work.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

I have used cubase since vst5. I know it very well, it has worked well on mac and pc with multiple interfaces over the years.

HOWEVER, Cubase 4.5.2 is glitchy and and not that great coming from SX3, which in my opinion and many others on here would agree, SX3 was great.

Cubase 4 is like Vista, problems were not fixed and they started a new platform (cubase5, windows 7) before fixing the current software (Cubase 4)

Many of my studio friends and people I have met on here agree it has clicks and pops when adding new plugins/removing, adding tracks, aux, groups etc...

Doesn't care for certain vsti's, has problems with moving over SX3 sessions with certain vsti's and plugins.

Cubase SX3 is solid, a little dated now, but I put it back on my system and took 4.5.2 off. It's back to being a workhorse, not as good for some things as 4, but it works everytime.

I have 5 coming, so we'll see what happens, there is so many new features though, I'm afraid it might be another disaster, we'll see, fingers crossed.
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Nut

I Heart Reaper heh
Old 11th May 2010
Gear Maniac

The way I see it

some say potato, some say PoeTAt'O
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Reviving an old thread.......at this current point in time.....how does reaper compare to Cubase 5 or Nuendo 4...........most of the comparisons are fairly old at this stage.
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Addict

+1 for Reaper. LOVE it. And it's way cheaper than anything else while being every bit as powerful and (in my opinion) much less complicated. Good program!
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

I'm switching to Reaper from Cubase LE4.
I think Cubase might be little easier to get along with because all the edditing tools are shown on top with icons.
But Reaper is lighter, quicker and more stable on my PC.
I use it for VO recording & mixing, it is actually quite good especially for the price.

I just hope that the fonts get little bigger because it has so many configurations jamed in the rather small panels which is hard to read.

Also, I hope they will make a true mono track in the future versions.

The routing matrix, I was confused at first but after getting used to it, I noticed that it is actually pretty flexible.
Old 16th November 2010
Gear Addict

I've nearly completed the switch from Cubase 5 to Reaper. Though the GUI in Cubase is more appealing to me than Reaper, Reaper is just too powerful and configurable to stick with Cubase. There's a learning curve with Reaper (as with any DAW), but I'm doing things so much faster, smoother and easier in Reaper than I could ever do in Cubase - and I've been a long-time Cubase user.
And Reaper has never crashed on my system. Whereas Cubase is like a steel trap-closed at the slightest provocation.

-Rich

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search