The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase vs Reaper
Old 18th May 2008
  #121
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls hit View Post
In reaper there's no concept of buses, because any track can be a bus if you want it to. So you just click the routing button in a track and you can send the output from that track to any other track (or multiple tracks). You can also receive into that track from any (or every) other track. It's simple and versatile
That's very well put. I don' know how cubase handles routing but compared to protools I find the routing more intuitive in Reaper. I doubt that there is any routing goal you might have that you couldn't accomplish with either one, but routing does seem to me to be simpler and more intuitive in Reaper.

I'm no expert but I would put it this way: Protools routing (with buses and sends and returns and whatnot) is very much a digital realization of how you route in the analog world. Reaper on the other hand is different in the way it is set up - more like the way you would do it if the computer (not hardware) was your framework for thinking about it.

I also found the way it handles multiple takes in a single track (called "takes in lanes" for making a composite take) to be very intuitive. Different subject but related in my opinion in that is is another case of where you think about it differently if the computer is your frame of reference and not tape and that leads you to different solutions. Not night and day better or anything like that, but you get enough little things going in the right direction (making the task a little easier and more intuitive) and the next thing you know you're totally sold on it and you think it's all pretty brilliant. That's where I am with it.

Best way to get more depth on these things is download the free manual and read the chapter on routing. Better yet is to try it on a simple project and decide about it yourself. That's what I did. I was highly skeptical as first, but was frustrated enough with the limitations of PTLE that I was willing to give it a shot. Glad I did

Charlie
Old 19th May 2008
  #122
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

12. No solo defeat... (i.e. exclude a track from being muted by the solo bus) nor any global solo or mute releases. To unmute or unsolo 16 random tracks or 64 you need to hit them one at a time or select them all first to unmute or unsolo them all at once.
Yeah I'd like to see global defeat buttons as well.

However you can unmute/unsolo several tracks using CTRL-click
Old 19th May 2008
  #123
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls hit View Post
Yeah I'd like to see global defeat buttons as well.

However you can unmute/unsolo several tracks using CTRL-click
Cool. I know at least a couple of my listed "irritations" were gonna be wrong. heh
Old 19th May 2008
  #124
Gear Maniac
 
Matthew Presley's Avatar
 

You can unsolo all tracks at once... look in the key command list. I use that all the time.
Old 21st May 2008
  #125
Lives for gear
 
GuitarRuss's Avatar
 

In terms of power, right now there is no competition. Check out these benchmarks from DAW Bench. I'm using Nuendo 3 right now but am frustrated because my Mackie Onyx doesn't allow a very big buffer size and I love plugs like Tri-Tone, IRs and other DSP hungry stuff and I wind up running out of power because Nuendo doesn't use the quad capability that well.


D.A.W Bench : D.A.W Performance Benchmarking

This has a direct comparison. I'll think I'll be making a slow move over to Reaper myself. My midi usuage is pretty basic anyway, and basically want a DAW to act like hardware and provide the least headaches.
Old 21st May 2008
  #126
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Well I switched to Reaper (thanks matt
and use it with my Miko. It's a great soft and I love functions such as the search engine for plugs etc..however Since the upgrade (last 3 actually) I've been having MAJOR problems such as display flickering for a few second then freezing the soft and closing reaper....not cool. Reapers has never been the most stable but it was so bad that I had to go back to an older version. Now it crashes everynow and then (just quit reaper no questions asked) but it's at LOT LESS frequent. I can live with that.
I do really like Reaper and prefere it over Cubase. I switched top PT years ago and Now use reaper for Production work.
Old 18th January 2009
  #127
Here for the gear
 
infosunglas's Avatar
 

Ñïîðòèâíûå î÷êè è ñîëíöåçàùèòíûå î÷êè èç Èòàëèè

Ñîëíöåçàùèòíûå î÷êè è ñïîðòèâíûå î÷êè â îïòîâîé è ðîçíè÷íîé ïðîäàæå, ìíîãîîáðàçèå èíôîðìàöèè î ñîëíöåçàùèòíûõ î÷êàõ, ñïîðòèâíûõ î÷êàõ, âûáîðå , ïðèìåíåíèè , ìàòåðèàëàõ , îáîçíà÷åíèÿõ è óõîäå. ×èòàéòå Ñîëíöåçàùèòíûå î÷êè 2009. Ñïîðòèâíûå î÷êè. Ìàãàçèíû ñîëíöåçàùèòíûõ î÷êîâ. Ñîëíöåçàùèòíûå î÷êè îïòîì
Old 18th January 2009
  #128
Gear Maniac
 

I have some questions and comments.

A. questions

1.will reaper work with my old interface ? st audio cport

2.can you take a project done with reaper and use a different program to master? for example I do basic tracking at home then take and have project mastered with protools or cubase or what ever

3.can some one bring me a project recorded on cubase, protools etc etc and can it be mastered with reaper???

3.how can I get reaper??

B. Comments

1. I have read the first 4 pages of this thread and watched it grow as I was reading it WOW!!!

2. I noticed that not much bad has been said about reaper until about page 3 which leads me to conclude that the big boys (cubase, protools, cakewalk) have taken notice and I do believe have a few dedicated trolls on their payroll trying to take the wind out of the sails of reaper

3. I only hope that the developers of reaper do not get snagged with the money bait... ie big company buying little company out then shutting down little company with better product

4. again where can I get a full version of reaper and what is the cost??

conclusion:

for the big boys it looks like your days of hiding behind the corporate curtian with slow fixxes ad updates are numbered. so for the big boys this one is for you dfegad



Bill
Old 18th January 2009
  #129
Gear Nut
 

Damn, I must be doing something wrong, then again I do run Vista. By scanning for VSTs I have crashed reaper multiple times, attempting to add a VST to a track also crashes the program. It now for some reason crashes on load up, telling me critical error and to reinstall. Ah ha, for whatever reason attempting to scan for DX plugins is what crashes the program for me.
Old 18th January 2009
  #130
Gear Addict
 
BenJah's Avatar
 

Quote:
It added a Cubase style comping function but it needs some more work, splitting any item of any comps splits them all. Comping (tracking) is fine, editing the comps later is not quite as easy as in Cubase.

I do a lot of comping in reaper. To edit you your comp you first need to crop to selection (or something along those lines). There is a shortcut key to do this(alt shift t or something like that). From there you can edit away as per normal. The comping feature in Reaper is the best I've seen.

All the best.
Old 18th January 2009
  #131
I have cubase 4 and reaper, didnt opened c4 from few months actually. I think I will sell it. Routing easyness and few plugins (reafir! reaverb!) included in Reaper are so better than that cubase thing. I just like the look of cubase better but hell, reaper is just better.

oh, and i run it on mac os
Old 18th January 2009
  #132
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHope View Post
Reaper still has a lot of bugs. REAPER Bug Reports - Cockos Confederated Forums

Nonsense. You should look the steinberg list.
Old 18th January 2009
  #133
exacly, Reaper is less buggy than cubase in my experience
Old 18th January 2009
  #134
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
I have cubase 4 and reaper, didnt opened c4 from few months actually. I think I will sell it. Routing easyness and few plugins (reafir! reaverb!) included in Reaper are so better than that cubase thing. I just like the look of cubase better but hell, reaper is just better.

oh, and i run it on mac os
If you like the look of Cubase 4 then why not just load up the skins for it?

I think there are two themes, on is called reaBend [R5mkIII] and the other is called reaBendo_R5mkII_. I like one called PAULA as well.
Old 19th January 2009
  #135
Lives for gear
 

styphon
i can honestly say ive never had one crash scanning for new plug ins.
neither dx plug ins nor vst.
for example i like to use the old dx echo chorus plug in from my other daw powertraks in
reaper cos i like it on vocs. also the dx reverb one sometimes.
but i'm very carefull checking out user comments on plug ins before i try them.
i would ask on the reaper forums bout that.
if i remember there have been some comments bout certain plug ins.
and it might not be reapers fault. it might be a poorly behaved/coded plug in.
so lets be fair on this aspect.

bibleboy3
just download the reaper demo from REAPER | About
n see if its for you n run tests with your old sound device.
frankly if i had probs useing an old sound device this wouldnt stop me useing reaper.
i would just get an up to date sound card known to work well with the program.
for example if your running vista , and there are no vista drivers for the old sound device,
and you get probs...this isnt reapers fault of course.
in this case i would try asio4all.com drivers n see if they can help.
btw...nothing to stop you bringing traks done in other software into reaper,
or taking traks done in reaper and useing in other programs.
by useing the standard wav format. note reaper supports other formats other than wav.
its all covered in the reaper user dialogues for recording and rendering//mixdown.
Old 19th January 2009
  #136
Gear Addict
 
E-Irizarry's Avatar
REAPER is on its A-game now.
dfegadSteinberg's Cubase can get this d*ck.
Old 19th January 2009
  #137
Gear Maniac
 
Big Ale's Avatar
both

I was using Cubase SX3 and Nuendo 3 loved them both heard about Reaper and was trying it out and i sometimes find my self loading up Reaper to start work lol I say give it ago its free lol
Old 19th January 2009
  #138
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
I just considered Reaper as an alternative for a simple recording purpose on my MacBook Pro ... I tried few times ... did not work well for me ... very unintuitive (including GUI) and what more: it caused some errors, just after one track record ... Opened Cubase LE, everything worked like a charm ... Very easy decision for me ...
Old 19th January 2009
  #139
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
I just considered Reaper as an alternative for a simple recording purpose on my MacBook Pro ... I tried few times ... did not work well for me ... very unintuitive (including GUI) and what more: it caused some errors, just after one track record ... Opened Cubase LE, everything worked like a charm ... Very easy decision for me ...
I'm just glad Reaper works great for me. That way I can use the program that is by far the easier and quicker to install, register and what not. Install it to a USB-key if I want, except that's not even necessary; If I'm out somewhere and didn't bring my DAW and I want to do some basic recording/editing/whatever.....just download and install it - it takes about 30 seconds all in all!

It's nice that it's less expensive but being an audio professional, the difference between Reaper and Cubase is not that important. But the huge relief of the whole registration/downloading process...now THAT is nice!

(And if it sounds like that all I like about Reaper then no it's not. I do prefer the program to all others on it's functionality alone!)
Old 19th January 2009
  #140
Gear Addict
 
Koed's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
I just considered Reaper as an alternative for a simple recording purpose on my MacBook Pro ... I tried few times ... did not work well for me ... very unintuitive (including GUI) and what more: it caused some errors, just after one track record ... Opened Cubase LE, everything worked like a charm ... Very easy decision for me ...
This might be because the mac version is still in beta and only a few months old.

Reaper for PC is a lot more mature.
Old 19th January 2009
  #141
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 View Post
styphon
i can honestly say ive never had one crash scanning for new plug ins.
neither dx plug ins nor vst.
for example i like to use the old dx echo chorus plug in from my other daw powertraks in
reaper cos i like it on vocs. also the dx reverb one sometimes.
but i'm very carefull checking out user comments on plug ins before i try them.
i would ask on the reaper forums bout that.
if i remember there have been some comments bout certain plug ins.
and it might not be reapers fault. it might be a poorly behaved/coded plug in.
so lets be fair on this aspect.

bibleboy3
just download the reaper demo from REAPER | About
n see if its for you n run tests with your old sound device.
frankly if i had probs useing an old sound device this wouldnt stop me useing reaper.
i would just get an up to date sound card known to work well with the program.
for example if your running vista , and there are no vista drivers for the old sound device,
and you get probs...this isnt reapers fault of course.
in this case i would try asio4all.com drivers n see if they can help.
btw...nothing to stop you bringing traks done in other software into reaper,
or taking traks done in reaper and useing in other programs.
by useing the standard wav format. note reaper supports other formats other than wav.
its all covered in the reaper user dialogues for recording and rendering//mixdown.
Are you using vista? I was only using the plugins reaper came with, for whatever reaon the only way i can prevent reaper from crashing is disabling dx plugins
Old 20th January 2009
  #142
Lives for gear
 
popmann's Avatar
Eh...I download Reaper for the PC. I don't get what the fuss is. Immediately, the ASIO zero latency monitoring didn't really work. No MIDI to speak of is a no go for me.

Ran C4 right after, reconfiguring nothing, and had real hardware monitoring. And, you know-MIDI. Went back-latency. Dug through menus. Said it was set up for ASIO monitoring...but, there was a noticably squishy feel to the bass in my hands. And the buffer was set high enough (512) that if it were not trying to use it, the latency would've been unbearable. As it was, it was just that small latency squishy, disconnected feeling.

I think it's simple--make Reaper an $500 app and it won't have a single user. Ok, one...but not two.

I support the idea. A simple audio program is a good idea--but, in the state it's in, the only thing I'd CONSIDER using Reaper for it to turn the PC into a deck to feed a hardware mixer.
Old 20th January 2009
  #143
Lives for gear
 
Brent's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Eh...I download Reaper for the PC. I don't get what the fuss is. Immediately, the ASIO zero latency monitoring didn't really work. No MIDI to speak of is a no go for me.

Ran C4 right after, reconfiguring nothing, and had real hardware monitoring. And, you know-MIDI. Went back-latency. Dug through menus. Said it was set up for ASIO monitoring...but, there was a noticably squishy feel to the bass in my hands. And the buffer was set high enough (512) that if it were not trying to use it, the latency would've been unbearable. As it was, it was just that small latency squishy, disconnected feeling.

I think it's simple--make Reaper an $500 app and it won't have a single user. Ok, one...but not two.

I support the idea. A simple audio program is a good idea--but, in the state it's in, the only thing I'd CONSIDER using Reaper for it to turn the PC into a deck to feed a hardware mixer.
Interesting. Definitely the very opposite experience for me.
Old 20th January 2009
  #144
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Eh...I download Reaper for the PC. I don't get what the fuss is. Immediately, the ASIO zero latency monitoring didn't really work. No MIDI to speak of is a no go for me.

Ran C4 right after, reconfiguring nothing, and had real hardware monitoring. And, you know-MIDI. Went back-latency. Dug through menus. Said it was set up for ASIO monitoring...but, there was a noticably squishy feel to the bass in my hands. And the buffer was set high enough (512) that if it were not trying to use it, the latency would've been unbearable. As it was, it was just that small latency squishy, disconnected feeling.

I think it's simple--make Reaper an $500 app and it won't have a single user. Ok, one...but not two.

I support the idea. A simple audio program is a good idea--but, in the state it's in, the only thing I'd CONSIDER using Reaper for it to turn the PC into a deck to feed a hardware mixer.
I think you would be in the minority
Old 20th January 2009
  #145
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
I think would be in the minority
been using Reaper on two different DAWs.

very stable for me. extremely efficient when using VSTs (I don't know why, but Live literally eats the CPUs compared to Reaper).

low latency mode (64-128) works perfectly.

no complaints at all.

the MIDI side should definitely get some love (compared to Cubendo and Logic or even FL Studio), because it's decades behind the competition. we are in the age of VSTs after all.

other than that, no real "problems" or bugs.

and the developer(s) are pretty unique characters too.
Old 20th January 2009
  #146
Lives for gear
 

styphon .
re vista. are you on vista then ??
my normal recording daw is xp.
but ive tested reaper on a friends vista system with no probs.
the fact that you disabled dx suggests to me (and i might be wrong)
an issue with a particular dx plug in.
some system pc details might help.
what sound device are you useing. ??
please also list your dx plug ins.
without details difficult to tell.
one little detail.
running vista needs a fair amount of ram.
min 2gigs i recommend. how much memory is in your pc ??

popmann.
on the reaper forums ive seen folks report very low latency.
whats your sound device ?? you tried with reaper ??
if its an expensive sound device with its own user control
panel, i found with one device i had to go into the user control panel and change some settings.
with great respect i feel your writing off reaper too quickly.
its one of those apps that has a lot of power under the hood , that a cursory glance might not reveal. right clik is your friend.
i suspect the squishyness is settings related.
it sounds like you dont want to pursue it further, but if you do..
the reaper forum and reaper chat might be of assistance to you.
Old 20th January 2009
  #147
Gear Addict
 
E-Irizarry's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koed View Post
This might be because the mac version is still in beta and only a few months old.

Reaper for PC is a lot more mature.
THANK YOU FOR CO-SIGNING ON THAT, MATE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
been using Reaper on two different DAWs.

very stable for me. extremely efficient when using VSTs (I don't know why, but Live literally eats the CPUs compared to Reaper).

low latency mode (64-128) works perfectly.

no complaints at all.

the MIDI side should definitely get some love (compared to Cubendo and Logic or even FL Studio), because it's decades behind the competition. we are in the age of VSTs after all.

other than that, no real "problems" or bugs.

and the developer(s) are pretty unique characters too.
I use my ASIO-driven M-Audio FireWire 410 on 4096-samples setting, and the latency on my recording-vocal chain with plugins enabled is almost 0ms (about 30 ms). I lubb it, I lubb it, I love it!
Old 20th January 2009
  #148
Lives for gear
 

yep its all down to how well the sound device drivers and the sound devices
architecture are engineered. (assuming a decent system).
a poor sound device/drivers will cause probs for any host daw software irrespective of brand
of daw software used.

frankly i think within a short while as pc's n macs get more powerfull alllied with the fact that
obviously sound device engineers are getting very good at designing low latency devices...
and drivers that the whole latency bugaboo will disappear.

well for me anyway...i was highly surprised with a toneport gx i was given as a present.
just great for getting down ruff ideas fast.
i havent had popmanns "squishy" or latency problem at all.
i ran a tough test with it, useing a ultra clean diy mic pre i have feeding the gx.
looked at the resulting waveform (kept gx in clean bypass mode instead of useing a model of course.) , a very low noise device from what i saw in the waveform.
of course if i load up an insane "lets gom to distortion city"...lol...
guitar patch , as expected different story.
but ive used it for vocals with no probs.
n the gx is all of what 50 buks ??
for naysayers, try one sometime. it surprsed me.
particularly good for getting down ruff ideas when away from ones studio say i a hotel room or at a friends cottage jamming some ideas with just a laptop, the gx, n mebe a mic pre for vocs.


ps..popmann try sometime with your bass into a toneport gx as a test,
and explore some of the bass models built into the gx.
you might be surprised n find a bass setting you like.
there are various bass models built in mate.
Old 20th January 2009
  #149
Gear Maniac
 

I only know Cubase SX2 and Live 4 but what I REALLY love in reaper, is that everything seems tuneable and "open". Sometimes in Cubase I was unable to find "how can I do that ?" and I never found the answer. Sometimes I was told that some setting was impossible to change and I told myself "that doesn't seem really hard to implement". Too bad. In Reaper quite everything I think about "being doable" is doable.

The inconvenient is that the options are so several that the settings are WAY more complicated than other DAWs (but the stock configuration is usable like that). But for me it's really nice like that.
Old 20th January 2009
  #150
Here for the gear
 
Hidraulico's Avatar
 

A few months ago I was using sonar, and then, just curious, I downloaded Reaper. But wait..., 3.4 Mb ..., is something wrong here..., double click and voila!!
Everything I need and more, routing, grouping, foldering, spliting, effects, amazing forum, now I know...., I am a very lucky guy.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
mahasandi / Cockos Reaper
38
Kyle S / Cockos Reaper
45
Cymbals / Q+A with - Justin Frankel (designer of Reaper)
1
pipelineaudio / Q+A with - Justin Frankel (designer of Reaper)
5
Ravian / Music Computers
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump