The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mbox mini opinions? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Mbox mini opinions?

I had the oppurtunity to pick up an Mbox Mini, brand new (unopened box) for half off the online 'super store' price on Craigslist today, so I jumped on it. I didn't have time to research or ask opinions here since the seller had other people interested and I had to act fast, so....What should I expect?

I could easily throw it up on Ebay and make a profit, but I thought I'd hang onto it for recording demos on the road. It can easily fit in my laptop bag as it weighs next to nothing and is very small.

Again, I'd never use it to record an album, but for decent quality demos and editing on the go, will it do the trick?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I know people who have recorded albums on Mboxes. I know people who record things on it on the road which ends up on albums. The Mbox in itself isn't a great piece of gear, but for the money it is a great piece of gear. And if you want to get great quality with it, get a great mic and a great pre, or a great guitar and a great amp... or whatever your tools are
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

I have an mbox mini for my home editing rig. It sounds fine. Then again, I'm not mixing with it, and I mostly use the headphone output since I work in the middle of the night quite often. It works very well for what I'm using it for, basically a usb dongle to let me run pro tools. I can't comment on the mic pre, because I've never used it, but the DA conversion is useable.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Guys

Thanks for all the feedback, I think I'll keep it.

I wouldn't use the pres, I'll use something better when I decide to record with it. How do I bypass the stock pres?

Are there any recommendations for a good quality/warm/portable pre that I could possibly take on the road with me?

Thanks in advance!
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

to bypass the stock pre, you just plug into the line in on the back.

the apogee mini-mp maybe? I don't know what your budget is for a mic pre.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search