The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Presonus Firestudio Audio Interfaces
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Presonus Firestudio

So at this point, I'm leaning towards the Firestudio for my main unit. I like the flexibility to add on with the Lightpipe inputs. Something the FP10/Firepod lacks. Does anyone have any experience with one? Better yet, does anyone own one? I like the Digi 003 for the fact it is a small unit with all the basic needs... but the price is just too much money. Your thoughts?!

-ScottyD
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

firepods are so cheap these days and stable as heck. i saw some issues with firestuduios but are probably fixed by now. you can get 10 inputs going on the firepod. if you need more than that just get another firepod. the firestudio has a better chip set but same mic pres. by going with the firepod you can put money into a decent pre and or convertor or nice mic . my vote is a used firepod.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I seem to be the Firepod guy here, but I will repeat that I love mine. I just recorded a huge project with one and my buddy mixing and mastering has said nothing but positive things about the pres and the overall sound (and he's not blowing smoke). Yes, the converters could be better, but I don't think the Firestudio will be that much better. The Firepod has been a great starting point for me. Oh, and the drivers are very stable. I've had mine up and running for over a year with zero issues...
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

it seems that the firestudio has different pres then the firepod (better pres for that matter)
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Yeah, the pres are similar, but not the same. (Check the specs at the presonus site). I'd be quite interested in a direct comparison, but I haven't actually used an FP10 (firepod).

I've had a Firestudio for half a year or so. It's been everything I wanted in terms of sound, features, and price. The one downside is that they can be a bit unstable. Mine's been fine other than needing to restart a couple of times when a channel doesn't register in my DAW.

So basically, as long as you get a solid unit that gets along with your computer, you should be happy.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

i dont think the pre should be an issue. i called presonus. they told me they are the same. maybe the better chipset gets them to sound a little cleaner but i would rather put the money into a nice mic. i believe the specs on the site are the same . 54 db of gain. the firestudio has many more bells . if you dont need them save the money and get better gear. if you need to upgrade later i would be looking at an apogee ensemble or fireface 800. are the firestudio guys still having issues?
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidorange View Post
i dont think the pre should be an issue.
Good advice all round liquid orange. I'd be surprised if there was much difference in pres, although I don't think they're entirely identical. The Firestudio is 55db in the specs, and I read something from a Presonus person saying that there were slight variations (although the presonus FAQ doesn't mention it). I could easily be wrong though...

Nitpicking aside, I think we're both agreed that there are more important considerations.

Edit: Yes the Firestudio guys are still having issues (not me though). The Presonus forum has a whole bunch of posts about it. It's well worth checking out.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaczac View Post
Yeah, the pres are similar, but not the same. (Check the specs at the presonus site). I'd be quite interested in a direct comparison, but I haven't actually used an FP10 (firepod).
The pres are indeed the same. Its the dithering that's different, and better so it can be assumed they "sound" better but it's basically the same pre. Also -- I'd read that the converters are identical as well.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Well, I'm going to assume that you're right seeing as you seem to know what you're talking about more than me .

I imagine the thing I read must have been referring to the dithering, but just didn't bother explaining that it wasn't actually the pre. I assume that this would also account for the difference in specs.

Ok so I'm going to go with The pres are the same but they sound different.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

The main stability issues we have had with the Firestudio are with Sonar.

However, we are working on a new driver that will be released within the next few months that fixes the Sonar issues. There are also many work arounds that people have found.

My advice: If you are using Sonar, the Firepod will be more stable for you 'today' . However, the Firestudio has a lot more going on as far as features and better jitter spec, etc..

The preamp design on the Firestudio is based from the same design with a few small improvements. However, the mechanical design on the Firestudio is much improved - the firewire jacks are recessed, power button is on the front, knobs are absolutely solid with no wiggle, etc.. Plus the MSR remote gives you talkback, speaker switching, etc..

I'd recommend working with a dealer that will give you the ability to check one out and return it if it doesn't work for you.

Hope this helps,
Rick
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

firestudio software is buggy, some times i get clicks and pops while mixing, especially whne alt+tabbing from cubase to the FS mixer... also some times on the the FS mixer it tells me I only have audio coming out the left ch... when i can hear it through both... i'd save some extra money and get an RME... that's what i'm going ot do.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Are most of the bugs PC or Mac related? Im considering one to go with my Macbook.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

she worked perfectly with my Mac Pro and a Digimax FS...

ps shameless plug....closing the studio you can find my firestudio in the secondhand classifieds here

MAC PRO, Firestudio w/ MSR, UAD PCI-e
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Interesting.... Im still in the research mode right now... I might not be buying for a couple of weeks. (unless something comes along that totally knocks my socks off ) Thanks.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
Are most of the bugs PC or Mac related? Im considering one to go with my Macbook.

i run it on pc
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

PreSonus
PreSonus
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

I upgraded from the Firepod to the Firestudio and a Digimax FS in the spring, and absolutely LOVE IT! There IS an improvement in sound quality, and the added flexibility is really nice. Haven't had any reliability issues either (Nuendo/XP Pro). I think as long as you aren't running Sonar right now you'll be fine.....
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

fire studio here with the FS
Nuendo
cool set up I just need to record more is all

still need to learn how to use Nuendo

I kick ass with the inspire
but it got real complicated
when I made my big move to
the fire studio

nuendo 4 should be out soon lets hope they partner up with microsoft

ol billy should think more audio video
if he did he would win the race
you were always number one in my book

maybe if presonus started funding an electronics class
at some colleges maybe college kids could start making this stuff
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Haven't had any issues with Firestudio on a dual G4 mac running 10.4.

Got the remote with it, and it does everything I want (and sounds good doing it). I seriously thought about upgrading to an Apogee, but I didn't hear enough difference in sound quality to justify it. It's that good.
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Addict

i have a firestudio and digimax FS on the way. I currently have two firepods, so i'll be doing lots of direct comparisons in the next month before i sell the firepods
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am probably going to make my purchasing decision in the next few weeks. I'm leaning towards the Firepod at this point I think because of the $$. Maybe later on I will add a second unit or upgrade.

-ScottyD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search