The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi 002r is it worth it? Audio Interfaces
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Digi 002r is it worth it?

So, I picked up on clearance the Digi 002r bundle at 800$ at guitar center.fair price for an old product I thought.before going with this I got headaches trying to figure out which interface to buy. Motu traveller was a possibility. The thing is while good hardware -A/D D/A- is key to recording, I also know that the audio engine of the software is key too. It's so confusing on a budget, as with Digi 002r you are limited to their software. Finding out you can get it to work with Cubase was nice.

My problem...I haven't opened the box. I can't convince myself....I have been able to get pro-recordings out of my delta 1010lt with quite a bit of work -eq, compression- which gets annoying.
Then well, I have a TASCAM 38 8 track analog tape deal which smokes any digital interface I have worked with -quite a few-
of course with tape you have little features and you lose some quality dumping from tape to digital if you don't have some really great A/D converters...

I was tempted by myself to buy this Digi 002 thing send it straight to black lion audio, and boom...but I can't; open the box...
I am now tempted by the rme fireface 800 and hear so many good things about them I don't know that it's worth all this trouble...

those who have the Digi 002 seem to be disappointed, some pleased, before or after the mod from BLA.
I know awesome recordings are possible no matter what you use if you tweak the hell out of it. My friend says with the fireface all you got to do is plug in...

I aim to take it back, but can anyone tell me out there why I might want to keep the digi 002. Going back to a point I made earlier, even with the delta 1010lt I noticed that pro tools m-powered recorded acoustic guitars and almost any electric exactly as I heard it in the phones. Cubase did not. With all these different possibilities software/hardware, it's hard to know what to do, what not to keep, what road not to go down.
I am looking for a one stop solution and I know that's not the engineer in me, but the artist looking just to make music. The engineer part of me says there is no one solution and one has to tweak anything to get the best out of it....

should I keep the Digi and trouble with mods, upgrades or unload it go with the RME?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Depends on what your goal is. I have a 002r w/BLA mod and I really like it. Although I mainly use my Dav and Solo 610 preamps instead of the 002 preamps. After modded the pres are useful but nothing to write home about.
No matter what you're going to need a few external pres to bring your sounds up to par. There is just no way around it. I think the 002r benefits greatly with the mod, as long as you have decent mics, instruments, pres, engineering skills, acoustic treatment, and mixing skills.

I'm going to get the FF800 to run ADAT into the 002r and then add an API3124.

Hope that helps.
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

hmm

what was the digi 002r to you before the mod? did you like it a lot, were you like blown away?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

It was better than the Mbox, but when I had the mod done. My external pres sounded bigger, and mixing was alot easier. I could hear EQ changes better. The preamps were not very good. I tried them out on a few things but never used them for anything. It's not that bad out of the box, but with no external pres it's gonna be hard to get anything too sound great.

My advice usable without Mod, great with mod and 4 external pres.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by craymorr2003 View Post
what was the digi 002r to you before the mod? did you like it a lot, were you like blown away?
It won't blow you away but it gets you into ProTools.

Some of the bundled software is good.

YMMV.

Ultimately, you gotta ask yourself; what do you want to use it for?
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

what I am lookin for is that ultimate great first mix....plug in with an awesome condensor mic and just go....I hear the pre's aren't that good in the digi 002r, I don't really care too much about the software, like I said, i kinda bought this on the premise that the audio engine plays a factor.
Certain things recorded absolutely incredible, guitars, with pro-tools m-powered and man, I couldn't ever get good bass guitar mixes with pro-tools m-powered.
pro-tools is not all that easy to work with..Cubase, I love the interface -I really do- but jesus they got problems over there...
there just doesn't seem to be any real one stop solution...

but if I took the long way there, I appologize....
My music is acoustic driven, therefore I am looking for the solution, that isn't tape, which allows me to get the best acoustic mixes without having to do alot of work...

the bundle kind of attracted me to the digi, and that I might get the mod....but don't know
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

hey there.

Boy i was in your same boat big time awhile back...still am kind've.

I'm a pretty experienced Cubase user, used it with my Delta 1010 for years...went to school for audio and all they used was PT HD (industry standard). Learned Pro Tools fairly well...I was contemplating Crossing platforms from Cbase to PT completely, via Digi 002. Well I did, Got a Digi 002 thinking I could live with PT LE's restrictions. But I couldn't. Pro Tools is a nice software, Real easy, Most Studios use it...HD that is. For me, LE's 32 track count, No zero latency plug-in compensation, and pro tools occasional squirrely behavior in 7.0 got really annoying after awhile. In Cubase I didn't worry about any of that.

A friend bought a Fireface 800 to use with his Logic setup. He let me borrow it for a few days while out of town and I fell in love. AD/DA Sounded noticeably bette , MUCH better pres..more I/O options...Firewire 800 support, supports Really low input latency monitoring via their total mix dsp, Solid as hell with cubase SX 3.2. The 002 worked in my cubase setup, but I always had Latency on everything that i couldn't figure out? maybe it was because its firewire 400, and my Delta was PCI?
Needless...I sold my 002 and pro tools on ebay, bought an RME FF800 and went back with cubase.
I guess if you're In Cubase and Like it. Stay with it.Teamed with the RME it is a beautiful thing...Pro tools is Sweet too, but if you plan on recording Hi-def and mixing at home...you may find it limiting when your 32 tracks run out, or you start getting latency if too many plugs are engaged. I'm not sure if Pro Tool's Audio Engine is going to make a noticable if any difference during mixdown compared to Cubase? I've never really noticed it in my experience or heard about it? It's much, much more in your Signal chain and mixing ability.

Good luck...I know how much of a bitch Audio Paranoia can be.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
what I am lookin for is that ultimate great first mix....plug in with an awesome condensor mic and just go....
Perhaps then you should be looking at alternatives.

Good luck.
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

you know, I am not the kind of guy who likes to do much editting in any kind of software nor do I care about or know about all the features of the software I use....I like to get my mixes right and get them in one take, even if I have re-record 30 times....
I don't splice, dice or wav edit...
the problem for me began when after creative, m-audio and a few other firewire interfaces, I heard tape...it was an experiment...bought a tascam 38 on ebay, picked it up, hooked it up to a behringer mixer, a friend of mine was just playing acoustic guitar, myself on the drums 2 sm81's catching ambience -same set up as our digital counterpart- and we both sat there listening to our jam with our jaws dropped...night and day...
not dawn to noon, an absolute contrast...

since then, I have been just beating myself up trying to find that same response in a digital format....I just haven't heard anyone talk of it other than the RME....and of course the big systems which I couldn't ever afford.

There are a few posts going around about how could digi or anyone sell such "shiete" to consumers, and well, it's about business....the mod attracted me, but you know, my luck mine won't work. If digi or anyone packaged it all in one at the basic consumer prices, 1000$ and a little more, who would go to a studio and spend the mack dollars...
then again, if someone would build that type of system, they would or could put a huge dent in Digi's hold on the market....

Really, I was in guitar center probably 30 hours collective over the last month trying to decide and even then me and the salespeople were drawing up pieces of paper and drawing them at random, best of three, best of 7....

The thing is, you know, we are low end users, tight budgets, holding day jobs, and when you make a purchase you don't want to have to invest the same just to get something out of it...
I can't understand why digi would put crytals or chips in that were substandard, knowing they were, just to get something out the door, but that's business...i laugh because way back in the day, tubes powered most stereo systems and great warm fat analog sound was the thing of the day, there weren't substandard tube formats to dish out to just ordinary consumers to make a buck....the technology that was available was the best that there was...
wouldn't that be great....
a digi built like the mod....
business or no, people would still- because of vanity- still think they were getting a better deal spending 30,000 on the HD system, whether it's studios or the person looking to rent some time....

put the best out in all cases, I wish that was the case...
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

on that note, my first radio was a red tube powered AM deal....AM radio that was fat sounding....hillarious!!!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

You're gonna need at least 1 good preamp and you'll probably hear what you been searching for.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I hate to admit this but, I use the 002r as an extremely expensive dongle to get 18 inputs into PTLE. I clock and convert externally and I use external pres. I use the four pres in the 002R only very very rarely for scratch guitars or scratch vox during tracking.

I can't afford HD and I do really prefer pro tools. So there ya have it, lame I know.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I own a 002r and love it. Is it the best? No, It cost just over a thousand bucks and in this business that doesn't buy close to the best so I never expected it(unlike some people). No I don't use the pre's very much as I have some really nice external ones but I've never noticed the bass problem you're talking about. In fact most bass players I record love their tone either di'd or mic'd cab. I used to have to eq and compress everything to get the sound I wanted until I learned how to mic things properly. Now I get away with little more than some compression for punch and some slight corrective eq'ing but mostly I just use plugs for effects.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

$800?

I got my Digi002R at GC for $400. Wasn't a special sale day or anything, some guy had just brought it in used and it came off 21 day hold. $800 sounds like a lot for one. I figure they'd give me a new one there for that price.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Like everyone is saying....it is what it is here at the low end of town. I've been using the same MBox for five years (PTLE 6.4) and with a few good mic's, decent external pre's, a mixer that shall go un-named and those measley five years of experience I'm getting some pretty good sounds these days....electric and acoustic.

Thinking about 003r for my next project, just for more inputs (like flail), but I'm so comfortable right now.....and when I'm comfortable with my setup I can get in a groove.

Make it easy.....so you can make some music.
Old 9th September 2007
Here for the gear

Smile

I personally believe that it is worth it! It is well worth the money. I have been a part of recordings with 002's as well as pthd and motu hd and I believe that the 002 has held its own against the higher end stuff. The 002 is a tool and it all depends on how you use it. You can make a crappy recording with an Icon and a couple pre's and you can make a great recording with an M-box.

I see people on here all the time talk down digidesign and pro tools but the reality is that it is just a tool. Nowadays you don't need a $1,000,000 studio to make a $1,000,000 song. It all depends on how you use the gear you have and for the price the 002r is a happy medium for recording.

-Seth
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

just wanted to say go to ebay man they everyday for like less than 600 sometimes for 800 if you want you can get the mixer.i have a digi 002 i bought new not from ebay though and its good for me i feel comfortable with it i couldve goten something else but i wanted pro tools. if you look at the other stuff out there like someone said a ff800 its a 700 dollar difference with the extra 700 you could buy a decent pre or a apogee minime for better converters and have a better sound.basically go with whats best in the prie range you can get and what you feel comfortable with.id say do it get a 002 and then when you can in a few months buy a nice pre or converter and youll have some very comfortable audio quality. aight man im done just tryin to help good luck with the choice you make.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
as with Digi 002r you are limited to their software.
-> You AREN'T.
You CAN use 002R as any other soundcard. You CAN'T use other soundcards (except M-Audio now) with ProTools.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear
Other software may or may not play nice with the 002R. I haven't had a whole lot of luck.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

OK...I have to ask...What does the "R" stand for after digi002...I have a 003..seen a 002..but never a 002r!!
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict View Post
OK...I have to ask...What does the "R" stand for after digi002...I have a 003..seen a 002..but never a 002r!!
DUHHH...RACk...sorry ..Im tired!!
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
I'm not a studio technician.........

I'm a songwriter and after trying PTLE, SX4 and Samplitude (which i was sceptical to) the Samplitude sounded best in "Audio converstion" + midi possibility.

Look at Prism Sound Orpheus, thats how "home studio" should sound!
Jesus dude... we get it... you hate digidesign and BLA... stop rehashing every digidesign and BLA post just to say how much they suck and how great the Orpheus is... we get it... really thumbsup
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Addict

If you got it to better your sound quality... you'll probably be disappointed. Digi002 is a great rack if you want to get your foot in the door with Protools but it isn't known for the best convertors in its class. RME or Lynx would get you the noticeable upgrade in sound quality for the same price range. Digi002 gets you Protools and about the same quality as the Delta. I'd suggest getting a dedicated preamp if you don't already have one.... that will make the biggest difference. RNP is a good option for a very reasonable price.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's so confusing on a budget, as with Digi 002r you are limited to their software. Finding out you can get it to work with Cubase was nice.
Last I heard the 002's ASIO drivers weren't dualcore compatible. Unless that's changed you can only run other apps on a single core. Just so you know.
Old 9th August 2008
Gear Nut

$800 seems expensive?

i have just ditched my 002r because i needed more digital outputs. I went with the M-Audio 2626 so I can use m-powered.

i would suggest one of these as it has more ins and outs, two headphone outputs with onboard mixer if you need it....probably sounds better also... not sure how much they are over in the USA...
Old 9th August 2008
Deleted User
The RME with ANY software app is gonna blow away the oo2Rack. Not to mention the latency free monitoring on the RME and the TWO ADAT ports for adding more I/O.

EVERYTHING my friend has sent me on the RME kills ANYTHING from my DIGI002rack sound wise. If you dont NEED Protools then get what you want. I use Cubase here and the Protools just sits here.

My MOTU 828MKii sounds better than the DIGI002rack BTW.

Suckiness on the DIGI rack:
1. NO LATENCY FREE MONITORING
2. NO PLUGIN DELAY COMPENSATION/ AUTOMATIC COMPENSATION for external
3. 32 track limitation unless you want to spend another $500 to get you up to 48 track max
4. ONLY ONE ADAT port for additional inputs. ( 18 Max)
5. NO WORDCLOCK input
6. AD/DA is average at best
7. You may very well have POWER HARNESS/POWER SUPPLY issues with this box
Old 23rd October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
Jesus dude... we get it... you hate digidesign and BLA... stop rehashing every digidesign and BLA post just to say how much they suck and how great the Orpheus is... we get it... really thumbsup
Yes, Finally some feedback

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search