The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap vocal mic setup? Kick mic, and Drum OH mic. Condenser Microphones
Old 6th September 2007
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
CommunityMart's Avatar
 

Cheap vocal mic setup? Kick mic, and Drum OH mic.

Hear me out- would this work?

Microphone, um...think "Drum Microphone set; 6 in one".

Record a vocal using both the Kick drum mic and the Overhead condenser mics from the set.

You could get the lows up close, and use the overhead to distant mic. (3 ft 6 inches away)

The kick drum mic would record vocal 6 inches away.


Can you make sauce of this?
Old 6th September 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
johnwayne's Avatar
 

I think one good mic would work better. What are you trying to ask? Are you trying to decide what mics to buy?

Also if your room sucks and your mic is picking up room sound, a cheap condenser will sound like hell.

But, try it and if you hate it don't ever do it again. Only you will know until you've heard it. I don't think it sounds like a good idea but what do I know.
Old 6th September 2007
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
CommunityMart's Avatar
 

johnwayne,

Quote:
I think one good mic would work better.
Okay
Quote:
What are you trying to ask?
Would two mics in this position sound good to record a vocal?
kick drum mic 6 inches (15 centimeters ) away.
condenser mic 3 ft 6 inches (1.5 meters ) away.
Quote:
Are you trying to decide what mics to buy?
No. See this.
Quote:
Also if your room sucks and your mic is picking up room sound, a cheap condenser will sound like hell.
My room sucks. This is bad for my question.
Quote:
But, try it and if you hate it don't ever do it again.
I was wondering, like, theoretically.
Old 6th September 2007
  #4
Gear Nut
 

The most obvious answer is an SM57. The problem, in your case i.e. one mic to rule them all, one mic to bind them (sorry, it seemed obvious:-) is where to place the mic to do all the things you want. OTOH if you have two mics (like two SM57s) then place one in a "mid room" position and the other closer to the vocalist. It's hard to tell from the info you're giving.

I think the main point here is PLACEMENT
.

Dan Carter
Old 6th September 2007
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
CommunityMart's Avatar
 

I'll try the 3:1 rule with two sm57's but how about

sm57 -&- cheap condenser (mid-room)

The cheap condenser will have harsh (too loud) high frequencies, right?
Old 6th September 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
johnwayne's Avatar
 

Cheap condenser, cheap pre, and bad room = bad sound. 57 will be much more usable in a room that's not treated.
Old 6th September 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 

KEL HM-1 $129

Inexpensive condenser that will work on many things and not sound harsh.


Cheers,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunityMart View Post
I'll try the 3:1 rule with two sm57's but how about

sm57 -&- cheap condenser (mid-room)

The cheap condenser will have harsh (too loud) high frequencies, right?
Old 6th September 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
scrubs's Avatar
 

I've used a dynamic and condenser together for vocals, but I placed them very close together to minimize phase issues. A distant mic can add cool ambience in a good sounding room, but probably not in an untreated room.

Not the answer you're looking for, but the CAD M179 is a great all-around mic that happens to sound great on overheads, kick drum, and is definitely usable for vocals, too.
Old 7th September 2007
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
CommunityMart's Avatar
 

Red face

I didn't know you could put a dynamic mic and a condenser mic close together. Why to avoid phase issues???
Old 7th September 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
scrubs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunityMart View Post
I didn't know you could put a dynamic mic and a condenser mic close together. Why to avoid phase issues???
If the signal is arriving at different times to each mic capsule, there will likely be phase issues, which may or may not sound good, depending on the situation. Having the capsules the same distance from the source will minimize this. In general, though, using two mics on a vocal is pretty pointless for most stuff. Just use one mic that sounds good.
Old 7th September 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
drumzealot's Avatar
 

Most kick drum mics are large(er) diaphragm dynamic mics, like the Beta 52 or D-112. The RE-20 is also a LDD mics as well, right? I see that used on vox all the time.

I my view, a mic is a mic rather than a (fill in a sound source) mic. While some mics are used more for certain applications (SM58 on live vox, SM57 on snare, etc), these conotations may cause folks to feel needlessly hesitant reguarding experimentation.
I was tracking a local band in their mostly untreated basement and put a cheap SDC on the bass cab (thru a cheap pre, cheap converters, onto a cheap PC and edited using a very cheap and old DAW) and it sounded better than all the other things I tried. I almost didn’t try it just because, “you don’t mic bass cabs with a SCD.” BULL BAGLES!
In fact, I’m going to track some vox though my B52 tonight thru a Presonus blue tube with the tube in full affect just to see how it sounds. Probably sound cheap.

If the sound police have a problem with that then:

Fvck the police
Comin’ straight from the underground
Old 7th September 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
johnwayne's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzealot View Post
Most kick drum mics are large(er) diaphragm dynamic mics, like the Beta 52 or D-112. The RE-20 is also a LDD mics as well, right? I see that used on vox all the time.

I my view, a mic is a mic rather than a (fill in a sound source) mic. While some mics are used more for certain applications (SM58 on live vox, SM57 on snare, etc), these conotations may cause folks to feel needlessly hesitant reguarding experimentation.
I was tracking a local band in their mostly untreated basement and put a cheap SDC on the bass cab (thru a cheap pre, cheap converters, onto a cheap PC and edited using a very cheap and old DAW) and it sounded better than all the other things I tried. I almost didn’t try it just because, “you don’t mic bass cabs with a SCD.” BULL BAGLES!
In fact, I’m going to track some vox though my B52 tonight thru a Presonus blue tube with the tube in full affect just to see how it sounds. Probably sound cheap.

If the sound police have a problem with that then:

Fvck the police
Comin’ straight from the underground
Good point. Try everything. If you haven't, then you don't really know what your equipment can do. Much cheaper than buying new stuff because you read something. When you do something and it sounds good, you have just added to your arsenal of ideas tried and worked.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
KidAce / Low End Theory
42
TheRigaletto / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
3
tvanveen / So much gear, so little time
10
contramark / So much gear, so little time
7

Forum Jump
Forum Jump