The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube Pre & Compressor under $1,200 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Tube Pre & Compressor under $1,200

Hello. I'm just starting a small home recording studio to record music I've been writing. The style of music is folky indie-type rock. The gear I currently have and use is as follows:

Ableton Live, Reason 3.0, E-MU 1616m, AT 4047 Mic.

I'm looking at buying a tube pre and/or compressor, which would be mostly for vocals, guitar, & bass. Any suggestions for gear under $1,200? Thanks, alot.

dp
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

UA LA-610 for all I can tell. I've never used one, but my neighbor has one and loves it.

other good tube pres under a grand if you can find them might be the Demeter VTMP-2a or the Peavey VMP preamps. They're tube and would probably work well for indie/folk.
Old 6th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here and super low-end y'all...

The ART Pro Channel is way more useful than its price suggests.

It's certainly a character type of piece, with choice between opto and vari-mu style of comrpession. The EQ section and preamp are decent enough, very overlooked box to say the least.

Applied Research & Technology: Tube Mic Preamps

War
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for the input! I've been on the fence for awhile about whether or not to purchase the LA - 610. It seems for the price point and sound I'm trying to achieve, that this fit my needs. Just ordered it today can't wait to give it a whirl. Peace.

dp
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

You could have tried the tlaudio c1 out.
The best device in the price range (stereo) i know.
Dual channel solid state mic pre / tube compressor.
This baby sounds great.
Though, you did nothing wrong with the 610
i think.
Best wishes
Denis
Old 10th September 2007
Here for the gear

Thumbs up

HEy,

I recently found this to be pretty good in demos at the stores, and am currently looking at buying one myself.

Try a TL Audio 2-fat. It has vocal/guitar and bass presets, you can get them in MONO and DUO channels, and would work well with the sound your after.

Them a JOEMEEK oneQ or TWINQ, a very neat unit, sounds good also in demos at the store.

Hope this helps.

MySpace.com - DRAWINGS ON A CHALKBOARD - South Coast, AU - Acoustic / Indie / Folk - www.myspace.com/drawingsonachalkboard

Take it easy,
Travis.

Last edited by doacmusic; 10th September 2007 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search