The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M-Audio Interfaces - Which one to pick for PT MP ? Audio Interfaces
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

M-Audio Interfaces - Which one to pick for PT MP ?

Hey dudes,

I already tried this in the Music Computers forum, but didn't get no replies,
so I'll try again here.

I currently work with:

MacBookPro w 2,2 GHz C2D, M-Audio Fasttrack Pro, Pro Tools MP, Event PS8 Monitors
TLA 5051 MKI, Presonus TubePre, Behringer Powerplay8
Mics: StudioProjects C4, Audix I5, D6, SM57, Neumann KM84 + some SM58s
WTB: Presonus Digimax FS & Behringer ADA8000

I recently recorded an album with the Fasttrack Pro and was a little bit annoyed about the Dropouts and Clicks I got, from a few Plugins used while tracking with everything from 128 to 526 samples. So I was forced to use the HardwareMonitoring function of the FTP and work with 2048 samples.

Now I'm planning to get into "Real Multitrack Recording" with PT MP and I'm
wondering which one of these Interfaces: Profire Lightbridge, Firewire 1814 and Project Mix I/O would be the best choice for me.

I would like to use it in combination with a Digimax FS and a ADA8000 for mostly bandrecordings and eventually for live recordings.

Would appreciate your comments...

thanks

ray
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well, if you want to use both the Presonus and Behringer, the Lightbridge is your only bet. If you need an interface that does "low-latency" monitoring, go with one of the other two and skip using the Behringer...
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

the fw1814 only allows you to connect one adat device. So I say go with the lightbrigde interface and by the way do not drop the behringer ada8000.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Okay, what I really will need is:
- At least 16 Ch of Input (Analog or digital, doesn't really matter)
- The ability to use Auxes in PT for monitoring (via analog out (1814) or digital outs (pf lbridge & ada8000)
- Low Latency of course while being stable as a rock

@Subspace: So why can't I do low latency monitoring with the lightbridge ?
I wanted to use the ada8000 as a AD&DA to send mon. mixes to my musicians. Isnt the lightbridge able to do this at low latency ?

I don't need to buy both AD+Preamps at all costs, that was just my plan, if buying the Profire. If I'm deciding to buy the 1814/Project Mix I'll just need a Digimax and another 8 CH of Pres, no ADs...

But right now I can't really decide out of these infos, so I'm hoping for posts of 1814/Lightbridge owners...please guys...

greets
ray
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

I own an 1814.
I haven't compared it to the lightbridge, when I had to buy one right now, I would probably go with the lightbridge, but hey... However, I read that the lightbridge does not have a software mixer/control panel, that means you'd have to do everything in PT, but that's obviously what you want.
Besides that I think it sucks using (M-audio) interfaces on a 4-pin firewire connection (which is common on notebooks). M-audio gives a warning about being very careful not to hotplug, which is something that can be an easy accident with a notebook, which also happened in my case, I haven't been able to get the firewire port on my notebook working since (this might not be a problem with a Macbook, but I don't know). Also I heard quite some things about bad drivers of the 1814 for the mac, I have no experience with that because I use a PC.

The low latency part while using plugins will depend on your processing power. Be aware that PT M-powered won't have Automatic Delay Compensation, just as LE, which might become a quite irritating problem when tracking with plugins.

If I had to buy everything again right now, I would buy the lightbridge. If I'm right that is the only way (or maybe the project mix too) with which you can benefit from the max amount of 18 i/o which PT M-Powered allows. Besides that you don't have to deal with the converters and preamps M-audio puts in them. You can expand as far as you like, and easily upgrade to better converters, preamps or headphone outputs.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just get the maudio adat lightbridge and then any adat out preamp can be connected with 32(?) simultaneous inputs I believe!
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies so far.
What I have to say is, that my Macbook Pro definetely has a 6-Pin FW connector. You also have to know, that I'm quite familiar with PT MP since I've been using it for a year now.

So could you explain the "hot plugging" problem again...?
Does it mean, that I only can unplug the interface, when the notebook is turned off ? Is that also referring to 6-Pin connectors ?

ray
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royer121 View Post
Does it mean, that I only can unplug the interface, when the notebook is turned off ? Is that also referring to 6-Pin connectors ?

ray
With any firewire plug it is a good idea to plug it in when the computer is off. It doesn't always burn out but it can and that is a risk not worth taking considering all you are talking about is a reboot. How would you like your firewire ports to be fried forever on you new Mac Book?

As far as low latency monitoring, you can't do it without a mixer in the setup you are talking about. If you want to keep that signal chain simple and clean which is what I do. Of course you can drop a lot of coin on cables and good mixer and not worry about this.

I personally didn't like the lightbridge because it gives you lots of ins and outs but that is about it. There is a lot more to a good interface than the i/o.

I tried a lot of setups and had M-Powered with a Delta 10/10 and a Lightbridge for some time. I used M-Powered for almost 2 years.

I recently purchased a Digi 003r and find it a GODSEND. It can only have 8 inputs through ADAT so that sucks for you. If you want more the Lightbridge is your only answer. Or an adat router to mix the different 8xpres.

Low Latency monitoring is built into the Pro Tools LE setups and I love it. For mobile recording setting everything up is a snap.

Anyway, I am staying away from M-Audio interfaces now due to stability, low quality build, bad sound quality and other reasons.

People here who went for the Lightbridge always flame at this but seriously, the lightbridge gives you a lot of ADAT i/o and THAT IS IT!

Flame me suckers! Digi 003 IS a serious upgrade.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, what I really will need is:
- At least 16 Ch of Input (Analog or digital, doesn't really matter)
- The ability to use Auxes in PT for monitoring (via analog out (1814) or digital outs (pf lbridge & ada8000)
- Low Latency of course while being stable as a rock

@Subspace: So why can't I do low latency monitoring with the lightbridge ?
I wanted to use the ada8000 as a AD&DA to send mon. mixes to my musicians. Isnt the lightbridge able to do this at low latency ?

I don't need to buy both AD+Preamps at all costs, that was just my plan, if buying the Profire. If I'm deciding to buy the 1814/Project Mix I'll just need a Digimax and another 8 CH of Pres, no ADs...

But right now I can't really decide out of these infos, so I'm hoping for posts of 1814/Lightbridge owners...please guys...

greets
ray
I was referring to the fact that the Lightbridge does not have low-latency hardware-based monitoring included as their other interfaces do. It's really meant for console users, analog or digital, that just want 34 digital i/o from their DAW and handle monitoring/ foldback OTB. If you monitor through PT-MP and have no problems with latency, then it may be a non-issue for you.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

So I'm not a console user and I'm wondering if the Lightbridge's latency is low enough to use PT Internal BusRouting for Monitoring purposes.

Any experiences of LB-Users here ?

My problem switching to LE is, that I already bought my PT MP and don't really want to switch and sell things, so I'm either staying on M-Audio
or totally changing to Cubase with a hole other Interface I think.

Some got me wrong, that the Digimax and the ADA8000 are definetely planned, but at the moment nothing's definetely. I just want my 16 Ch of Inputs, something like 8 Outs for HP-Mixes and low latency monitoring,
how I will solve this all, I really don't know.... expecially with PT.

I really have a hard time deciding right now...
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

*bump*
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

So if anyone's trying to do the same thing as I'm doing:

I'm going for the M-Audio 1814 !

• I like the advantage of having 2 preamps built in, that I could use for quick n dirty stuff.
• I don't really need so many ADAT Inputs. 8 Analog and 8 Adat Ch is really enough for my purposes.
• I just want a software mixer with flexibility, cause I hate the one of my Fasttrack Pro.
• I read too many bad reviews and bug reports of Lightbridge users.

Although its strange. Really few bad posts about the 1814, but many users selling theirs. Whatever. It suites best for me and I'm hoping they got kool drivers to work with my MBP.

thanks for your input guys.

Ray
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

Ok. I am looking for a M-audio interface for PT too.

I already have a Fireface800 (it could run in stand alone mode as a converter) and an ADA8000.
The Lightbridge looks tempting but I was looking for something more self contended as the Fasttrack Pro. The build in mic pres would help having a light set up for the teaching too.

A friend has the 410. For a year or something stability was terrible. lately is ok.

I am spoiled with RME's legendary stability.
Any comments about M-audio's current stability for the Fasttrack Pro and the Lightbridge?
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear Maniac

The FTP is a bitchy little thing. Use it now only as a PT dongle on my PC system. Too many problems to tell. The 1814 works really great with my Macbook Pro now, though I haven't had a real mulitrack recording with external ADs yet.
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

I see.

What about the Transit USB?

Any good?
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

i'm using multiple delta cards in m-powered at the moment... very stable.. though not as stable as rme. however having multiple digital inputs available is quite nice heh

i have no experience with the light bridge.. but i do remember a thread about it not to long ago..
Old 4th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Don't know anything about the transit USB.
What do you want it for exactly ?

I'd never go to USB again...eitherway...

Is Thomann sending to Greece ? If so, get the 1814 and try it for 30 days...
send it back if it acts bitchy...

Seeing it that way, I'm still testing...=)
Old 6th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't know anything about the transit USB.
What do you want it for exactly ?

I'd never go to USB again...eitherway...

Is Thomann sending to Greece ? If so, get the 1814 and try it for 30 days...
send it back if it acts bitchy...

Seeing it that way, I'm still testing...=)
I've been using an M-Audio FW1814 for a few years, and it's great, just make sure you're using a firewire chip based on TI (Texas Instruments) chip because I've had problems with VIA-based firewire (digital distortion on playback after recording) on my new ASUS P5K motherboard. I then bought an external, TI based card and it's perfect.
Old 6th October 2007
Lives for gear

Transit and 1814 here - both used primarily with an RME ADI-2. I got the transit for free as rebate on MP PT.

It's a tweaky set up with the 1814 sometimes, mainly since I'm using the external ADDA and clock. I have to use an older driver to avoid some anomalies in WaveBurner 1.2. I hope I can go to the latest with Logic 8.

The 1814 is pretty good and does what it's supposed to most of the time, but I'd have something else if I didn't need PT. I also use it with Digital Performer, Logic, Peak and Wave Editor on a 12" PowerBook G4.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search