The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
budget laptop question Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 5th September 2007
Here for the gear

budget laptop question

hi

can anyone recommend a good laptop for music production (fl studio, ableton etc) around £400 (preferably not made / assembled in china) please?

cheers

chris
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear
You'll struggle to get something that's not made in the Asian part of the world,.. and I don't just mean laptops.

Apple laptops are made in the USA as far as I am aware, so a second hand one maybe of use to you, but they'll probably be out of your price range.

Sorry, I'd be of greater help - But I can only guess that most of my suggestions would be ones rendered unsuitable
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Ya.. the laptops are pretty much all made in some part of Asia or another. Nothing wrong with that. It's all about who manages the outgoing product quality. Normally when we think of problems with manufacture, we're talking about poor consistency from one unit to the next If a laptop made on day x is distinguishable from one made on day y, that's a manufacturing/quality issue.

If it has cheap crap components everywhere and the keyboard feels like a toy, that's a design issue.

I actually think that any laptop you can find with 2 GHz or better, 2G ram or better, and modern amenities like a firewire port, several usb ports, etc... would suit most hobbyists.

But the main thing you want to do is make sure that whatever you get will work with your software/hardware. Your soundcard maker may specify what the laptop has to have in order to work with the system. I'd start there and not worry so much about where the laptop is made as long as it is supported by your soundcard.

Good luck.

Charlie
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I believe Apple laptops are made by Quanta which is in Taiwan, does that count :-)

Anyway, I just got a 1Q SR from ADK and it's rock solid. The TI Firewire runs like a champ. Quanta makes the base laptop and ADK adds all the components you need. The trick to getting a stable machine is in the integration... finding parts that work together well. They seem to have done their homework in that department.

Anyway, I'd recommend ADK Audio. The price is pretty good too, although I wouldn't say "budget".

My wife just got an HP dv2000 and it's been solid. She doesn't use it for audio, though.

Some general advice for what it's worth: I'd check the firewire chipset and make sure it's Texas Instruments (TI). That seems to be the standard for firewire audio. Make sure you get one loaded with XP not Vista. Vista has driver problems galore and a bug with network activity and audio. If you get an Intel processor, you may want to install SpeedSwitchXP otherwise Windows will step down your processor speed to save power. Make sure the fan runs all the time to give you maximum cooling.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search