The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Onyx 1220 FW Versus NRV10 Mixers (Analog)
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Question Onyx 1220 FW Versus NRV10

Ok so I've got the option to buy a mackie onyx 1220 with firewire card or a M Audio NRV10.

On a strict budget and need a mixer and an audio interface.

Can purchase both at the same price. Going more pricey isn't an option.

So the mixer part is for doing live gigs - nothing fancy (local pubs and just for fun - drums summed on seperate 4 ch mixer (not mine!)) but people want recordings. Audio in is for mucking aboot recording at home but decentish quality.

Obviously the 1220 doesn't send EQ down the firewire, which is a shame, but does the NRV10?

I 'could' buy a seperate FW interface and mixing desk but reckon on my budget I'd only be able to stretch to a 2 in 2 out e.g. mbox and a cheapo mixer?

Though with the new yamaha n8 and n12 it does seem the future is combined...

Any advice greatly received. Ta!
Old 5th September 2007

The NRZ10 does give you one more mic preamp if you really need it.

But, the Mack has 4 good mic pre-amps with low-cut. The sweepable mids are invaluable in live situations sometimes.

You can always add EQ in the box latter for the recorded parts....

-tINY

Old 12th September 2007
Here for the gear

Hi,

I've recently bought a NRV10 and am very impressed with it.

Regarding the EQ send, you can select whether the firewire receives a pre or post EQ signal. It is a universal switch, but I doubt there is actually much difference between zeroing the eq and bypassing it.

Recording with it has been great, it's built very well and is small enough to chuck in a backpack.

I have had a few niggling firewire problems caused by my notebook - I advise not using an external USB hard drive with a notebook, common problems with USB/Firewire host IRQ level assignments. But that is an issue with any firewire sound device.

If you've got any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Ian
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

The n8 is built like a tank. The Class-A mic pre amps have never been in a mixer at this price. Cubase AI is included so all you would need is some CD burning software or you can make MP3s and get your website happening for your fans.

the n12 is being used for podcasting at pcmacsmackdown on iTunes now.

Just a thought
Old 7th November 2007
Here for the gear

Cool

Hello Geosync!

I'm the user of a laptop (Toshiba P200-16x) with a built-in TI firewire card. I'm using it with an Edirol FA101 for which i had no problem on Vista and Ableton Live software. I also have an old mackie VLZ mixer. So i'm thinking about switching for a N12 BUT ... the BIG thing i'm really worry about is : will the N12 function with this PC laptop ?

I was about buying an Onyx 1220+firewire (cheaper than the n12, about 450€ for a used product, 700€ for a brand new one) so this is a big price difference compare to the 1100€ for a n12 ! But i saw MANY MANY users having driver problem on both mac and pc ... Same thing with many other production (Konnekt24 for example, M-Audio products and so on ...)

How could i know precisely the TI version of my firewire card? Where can i found users info about the n12 to see incompatibily or problem with n12 on a windows vista environnement.

Thanxx very much for all thumbsup

Sincerely,

Stefano
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Stephano,

I was about buying an Onyx 1220+firewire (cheaper than the n12, about 450€ for a used product, 700€ for a brand new one)

The 1220 is closer in features to the n8 which is apx 850€

How could i know precisely the TI version of my firewire card?

Start here: n series

Where can i found users info about the n12 to see incompatibily or problem with n12 on a windows vista environnement.

There is no dedicated site but the driver is the same as the new driver for the MotifXS so we could use this site to start Motif Studio
Old 10th December 2007
Gear Head

Hi Geosync - OT but what happened to the GO44 and GO46???
Old 10th December 2007
Lives for gear

We never brought the GO44 to the US. As for the GO46, it's alive and well.
We just lowered the Minimum Advertised Price to 199.00 US. It's really a great deal for a portable Firewire I/O.
Old 11th December 2007
Gear Maniac

The Onyx does have nice preamps. I have a 1640 that I use in my studio. Yes the send is before the eq's and the Mackies have very nice Perkins eq's. You can buy a modded Mackie, which is a little more or if you are handy with a solder iron, you can do it yourself. The sends will then be pre-fader or post fader what ever you like. There is a write up over on mackies forum site about modding the units. Here is the mod link Mackie Forums Home: 1620 Modification Instructions

Or here is the link to the purchased modded units. you choose pre-fader or post when ordering $200 more.
Mackie ONYX 1220 Premium 12-Channel Analog Mixer
Old 19th December 2007
Gear Head

Thanks everyone - think I'm going to sit on the mixer/fw combo until I have enough funds to try all out from the store and go for the best, rather than the one I can afford... (and has to be fit for purpose i.e. all-in-one cart around gig to gig resilliant jobber).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search