The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
12-Bit Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

12-Bit

Anybody know of a plugin or program that I can use to convert 16-bit samples to 12 bit? I can't seem to do it with Wavelab. Please help
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

And you want 12 bit why......?
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Logic has a BitCrusher plugin to do such things, I guess some other DAW's have this too (dunno by mind).
You'd use 12bit for that vintage lofi sound, can be usefull to emulate old samplers for example.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I believe Sound Forge can do it.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah there is a bit depth converter in sound forge, but it does 8,16,24,32. I did this years ago...but I cant remember how I did it...I had wavelab and sound forge though. What I did actually was took a 16 bit file, converted it to 12 bit, then back to 16 bit for compatibility.... If you really want it dirty, you convert once again to 12 bit and back to 16 as it will add extra ringiness. Super useful for cool sounds. So yeah...Is there an audio conversion software that will do this? One that I can do a bunch at a time? Thanks
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear
I'd be interested in some ideas too. I've been looking for a way to get those groovy sounds of the Super Nintendo, which is basically just really dirty 12bit samples. It sounds like your process of converting them over and over again could really produce some cool stuff.

halcyo
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

The 8-bit conversion sounds wild on 808 drums. Also changing the sample rate to 22,050 creates fat sounds
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
).
You'd use 12bit for that vintage lofi sound, can be usefull to emulate old samplers for example.
Thanks, didn't really ever used it so I was wondering (although I suddenly realize I used the Scifi from time to time to get some similar effect.)
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Go here:

Soundhack | homepage
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

I thought the SNES was 8 bit.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Viscous View Post
I thought the SNES was 8 bit.
Nah - it was the NES that was 8-bit.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear
The NES had it's own onboard synth to compose with. The SNES was in fact just a tiny rompler, and the composers had to load up their own instrument samples into the game cartridge. But because there wasn't much space, the samples are pretty short and shoddy, but that (combined with the 12bit sampling of the sound chip) kinda gave the SNES its 'slightly realistic but cheesy' sound quality which I love.

halcyo
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
The NES had it's own onboard synth to compose with. The SNES was in fact just a tiny rompler, and the composers had to load up their own instrument samples into the game cartridge. But because there wasn't much space, the samples are pretty short and shoddy, but that (combined with the 12bit sampling of the sound chip) kinda gave the SNES its 'slightly realistic but cheesy' sound quality which I love.

halcyo
They thought they were fixing the DX7 when they made it 16 bit...
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict
Nah the 12bit conversion sounds nothing like old samplers.
Samplerate conversion on the other hand with filtering can do a good job of emulating old samplers.

All I ever noticed when changing the bits to 12, 8, or lower was a fuzzy sound that sounded not even remotely close to my old s-900.

Working with the samplerate has always given me the best results.
Try samplerates between 16, and 32 khz.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens119 View Post
Anybody know of a plugin or program that I can use to convert 16-bit samples to 12 bit? I can't seem to do it with Wavelab. Please help
The difference between 16 bits and 12 bits is 24 dB. So take your Wave file, drop the level by 24 dB, save the file, re-open the file, raise the volume by 24 dB, and now you have 12 active bits.

--Ethan
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search