The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Starting up a low end studio. Condenser Microphones
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

This is really tough, all of these options. I'm really going to have to look at the most bang for my buck because I am on a budget. I just have a question for future reference, are preamps outputs 1/4" to 1/4"? Because the M-Audio Delta Interface seems to have nothing but 1/4" inputs.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdctom92 View Post
This is really tough, all of these options. I'm really going to have to look at the most bang for my buck because I am on a budget. I just have a question for future reference, are preamps outputs 1/4" to 1/4"? Because the M-Audio Delta Interface seems to have nothing but 1/4" inputs.
umm .. usually they are 1/4" sometimes you'll have 1/4" and XLR on the higher end stuff. Normally you'll run XLR into the preamp, get the mic to level and what not, then run it out of the 1/4 out to the interface. or you could run it through a console if you could find like an 8 channel for a good price. Normally if you look around you can find something like that pretty cheap. but that all depends on what you are recording. Normally you won't need more than one or two preamps unless you are recording drums. There are several ok sounding one or two channel preamps out there that are pretty cheap. The quality on most of those are ok, def nothing to write anyone about. But it would def get you started. The Firepod on the other hand if you go with that has all your preamps there already and the price on those is coming down pretty low. I have a firepod myself for mobile recordings and I think it sounds great for the price point and what not. Another option you might look at (sorry to keep throwing them out there) is to check around on Ebay and look for a Digi 001. The quality on them is great for starting up and it gets you into protools, plus it has an optional ADAT input to have up to 16 input channels. You can usually find one of these with software and other stuff for around 2-3 hundred dollars.

-- Ben
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

sgrocker.

to answer your question bout drives.
the exe's of the multitrack software i use like reaper n powertracks are installed
on the win drive.
ie.two drives. one....XP plus pgm exe's.
second drive just for tracking.
at the end of a session i back the session up to win drive as well as dvd.
(2 copies.)
Old 9th December 2009
Here for the gear

For now, I am going to monitor with 2 30W stereo speakers.
I buy from Amazon re-sellers all the time. I haven't had any more (or less) problems with them than I've had with any other internet vendors.

Recently I came to know that there is a website named AmaZing Watcher which is a free website that will “watch” items for you on Amazon and let you know when amazon has them in stock at regular retail price.It got so awesome!
Good luck everybody!
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Head

For an interface and software, there are lots of good options already mentioned.

Mics- Get things that can grow with you.

I suggest the SM57 as a solid mic that everyone uses everywhere. It's the cheapest industry standard mic you can get, so get one.

For small diaphragm condensors, try getting something that will grow with you. I got a pair of the oktava mk012's and then had them modded later. Now I have SDC's that I don't have to worry about upgrading.

For kick drum and bass, the shure beta 52 is a fine microphone. You won't really out grow it. It'll always do it's thing without an issue.

For toms, on the cheap, I like to use either CAD M179's or Studio Projects B1's. They work well and if you ever get to where you are using Sennheiser MD421's on the toms, then you'll have a bunch of usable condenser mics for room, under snare, etc. It's good to have extra usuable mics laying around.

If you can swing it, for vocals I like the Shure SM7B. It's expensive, but it works well. Especially for the styles you listed.

Preamps don't sweat for now. Your interface pres will be fine and you have to learn about mics and mixing first so keep it simple for now.

Monitors, I have to suggest something better than stereo speakers. They aren't designed for flat response or critical listening. I'd rather see you invest in good headphones.

Room treatment is important and be aware of it's affect on your mixing and tracking space but I wouldn't recommend bass traps and absorbers this early in the process. I mean, you have a limited budget and you own literally no mics or monitors. Plan on treating the room, but not before you know what you're doing. Room treatment will make everything sound better, but right now you aren't getting any sounds. Start getting stuff to "tape", then worry about improving the sounds you're getting.

It may be more expensive, but if you buy right, you will only buy once.

I mean, you could get some cheap overheads or other mics and preamps and whatever, but you're going to want to upgrade them eventually and chances are good you'll be going to something more along the lines of what you should've bought in the first place.

I know, I've been in your shoes and made some mistakes before I got to where I kind of am beginning to understand this stuff.
Old 9th December 2009
Gear Maniac

This thread is almost 4 years old.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search