The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do I bypass the converter if I use ADAT or SPDIF? Audio Interfaces
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Do I bypass the converter if I use ADAT or SPDIF?

If I use an external preamp with built-in AD and route it to my soundcard(m-audio 1814) via ADAT or SPDIF does this mean that I am bypassing the soundcard's (m-audio 1814)? preamp, AD and any other analog stage?

I am asking because I don't like the converters on the m-audio, I don't like the preamps as well, they have really little headroom to work with, however I do like the drivers with PC, they are stable and I never have any problems, I do like the routing options that the card gives me.

Good thing is that, this soundcard has ADAT in and SPDIF in which gives me 8 or 2 digital inputs. I thought, If I buy higher quality preamp/AD and if my theory above is correct, then I will have better quality conversion and amplification for the mics I plug in. Is my theory valid?

Best,
Em
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yes and yes.
Check to be sure you won't run into issues with clocking though. Generally the better AD/pre would want to be master during tracking. What about in playback/monitor DA mode? You may end up wanting to switch (master) back an forth.
This might make a case for jumping to a better AD/DA kit and pre as separate pieces. (Long term?)
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Yes and yes.
Check to be sure you won't run into issues with clocking though. Generally the better AD/pre would want to be master during tracking. What about in playback/monitor DA mode? You may end up wanting to switch (master) back an forth.
This might make a case for jumping to a better AD/DA kit and pre as separate pieces. (Long term?)
First of all thank you for answer.

If I employ wordclock, and use the better unit as master, then when I play back do I have to switch my master back to the internal clock source of the soundcard? Can I solve this problem by having an AD AND DA preamp with wordclock option, so the master clock will always be the AD/DA unit?..
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emreyazgin View Post
First of all thank you for answer.

If I employ wordclock, and use the better unit as master, then when I play back do I have to switch my master back to the internal clock source of the soundcard? Can I solve this problem by having an AD AND DA preamp with wordclock option, so the master clock will always be the AD/DA unit?..
Not sure I understand the first half of your question, but to the second half, yes. I use the Apogee Rosetta 800 (AD,DA) with my 1814 and I actually use a BNC cable to clock the 1814 to the Rosetta as master. This does not bypass the internal 1814 clock (I got that modded by Black Lion anyway, what an improvement!), but syncs them to reduce jitter (mumbo jumbo).
Clocking using ADAT is notoriously unstable as it has to pass clock info with audio, not sure about coax spdf.
I just set the MAudio control panel to "word clock" and let the Rosetta go at it.
But I think if you step up to Apogee, Mytek or Lavry you will notice the conversion improvement (depth, etc) before the clocking issue, though its still a good idea to get the clocking stable. If you add a 3rd piece into the mix, that would be a good case for an external clock, I have been hearing good things about the Black Lion micro clock.
Good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search