The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
signal problem, any one who can give insight is welcome Studio Monitors
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

signal problem, any one who can give insight is welcome

ok this is my set up
at4040 mic
chameleon labs7026 pre
dbx 266 compressor
firebox interface
mogami cables
rokit 5 monitors

the problem i am having is when i record a take the vocal souonds almost s if it is distorting and is really ruff but the volume meter is not peaking in to the red.
the only thing i use the compressor for is to prevent the signal from clippin so i set the thresh at -3 or 6 db and i might run the gate on it at small levels to cANCLE out the cpu hum
i have the gains turned down to like - 10 on my interface softwear and my pre amp is also set at very low levels but for some reason the voice sounds way to hot. i figured this gain staging was happening because of the interface. but i am scratching my head trying to figure out why i cant just one good take i have tryed every setting i can think of on the front end does any one know something i dont...I NEED HELP.
I just want to record and enjoy my creativity but i am stuck with a small budget in this studio.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Guru

can you post a small clip of a problem?

Glenn
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just a guess, but I looked at the specs for the Firebox and it seems to have two types of inputs in a Neutrik Combo connector.

Using the XLR inputs run the signal thru the mic preamp; using the 1/4" inputs bypasses the mic preamp.

You should run the output of the Chameleon into the 1/4" input. I assume the Chameleon has XLR output so you'll need a female XLR -> 1/4" cable.

If you're running the Chameleon into the XLR input, you're running a mic preamp into a mic preamp, which you can probably do if you observe proper gain staging, but in this case I'd recommend against it.

I'd start with the EQ section bypassed on the Chameleon and set the output control at "U" for unity, then adjust as necessary. The metering on the Firebox is going to be limited to clip lights, so use your ears. Not too hot is better IMO. If you're not using the compressor, get it out of there for now if your level issue is solved with using the 1/4" input.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
can you post a small clip of a problem?

Glenn
i will post one when i get off of work..... as for the 1'4 . I was always under the impression that you had to use xlr to get the sound right but i am gona try it cause it makes sense expecially when you have a signal from the labs crashing into a crappy pre on the firebox. i just had the gain on the firebox all the way down but maybe bypassing it is what i need to do. mogami of course should have what i need. now you mentioned that the pre needs to be set to u for unity. the manual mentioned this but is not clear on how to do it or maybe i just need to re read it but i thought it is when you have the out put gain all the way to one side. i do bypass the eq although it is great i dont want the vocal altered.
i really hope this is all i needed to do is bypass the pre on the interface.
i know it is a crappy interface anyway buti like it i just know now that i am upgrading my pre and saving for a new mic that all of my other parts need to be upgraded as well the struggle never stops. i will post it tonight

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search