The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
moniters? Studio Monitors
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

moniters?

what are some good brands and models of moniters? im looking at a low budget here (im NOt looking to be spending more than 400-500 Australian). are M-audio studiophile mx4 monitors any good? they seem to get a decent review in a computing magazine. im happy to go with anything that works well and produces decent sound and apreciate any sugestions.

[edit]ps not that i think it will mean much but the style of music is hiphop
Old 4th September 2007
Here for the gear

You may want to search the forums, this subject is everywhere. I was just in the same situation.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Nut

just go to a store and listen to some if you can get to one, it will become clear pretty quickly if there is something you like or if you need to get hold of a little more cash. i spent ages reading reviews and opions and then found out that it meant very little once i went and listened for my self.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

At that price, you don't have too many options. If you can stretch up a little, you could get into a bracket that'll give you more choice. I know you said 4-500 but...

Under a grand, my personal recommendation (for what ever it's worth) would be the Fostex monitors. PM1 are $899, you should pick them up for $750ish. They are pretty flat and will give you a fairly netural speaker from a mix perspective. The smaller model the PM05 is $699 from memory, you should see them for about $570 although there's not a lot bottom end on those.

Other candidates..... as you mentioned, the M Audio's (i'm no fan), the Behringers (sound big but misleading), Yamaha's (I like the MSP's, don't like the HS series), the cheaper Event (again, I'm not a fan), maybe the Blue Sky's (not too sure on $$$) maybe the Samsons (never had a listen so have no opinion) and lastly, the Tannoy Reveal 5a (good mid range for the $$$, bass end is a little forced).

As it's been said, go and try some out at your local store. Take a CD with a few different styles of tunes that you know well.

Good luck in your search.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

thanks everyone i'll have a look around.

entropy: when you say the behrigers are misleading does that mean that they arent flat? ive noticed alot of the behranger on ebay for decent prices, but ive heard enough bad rep about the brand in general to stay away. thanks for the suggestions. i'll be sure to take them into concideration.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Behringers flat? Nope, not even close. But they do have their uses, it just depends what your doing.

If you want some loud monitors for home DJing, writing beats/getting ideas down with, then their fine (to an extent). If your looking for something to mix on, bad choice (in my opinion).

They tend to make things sound good without having to do too much mix wise, particularly with the bottom end. Which is why I suggested the Fostex. They are pretty flat (and boring) so first impressions aren't as impressive as the Behringers. You've gotta work hard to get a decent balance going.... but that's the point... they translate well (for the money).

Bottom line, find something that you feel a vibe for and spend 6 months or so learning them...
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

have u heard what roland are like? ive found a pair of roland ds-5 on the cheap, are they worth buying?
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi mate..

Have a look at this, is review by FUTURE MUSIC magazine in the UK....They covered all the monitors from 200 Pounds - 1000 Pounds...They had the best boy from the production scene (about 6 i think) review each monitor and vote the best in each price range..

Future Music

I was trying to find a place where you can read it online, but i can not right now, If you can find it great or get a copy, OR if you really wanna see it, i will scan the pages and post them here..

The prices are in UK POUNDS but will give you a more or less idea about whats out there...Some surprising results i have to say...

Good luck mate

Jun
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
what are some good brands and models of moniters? im looking at a low budget here (im NOt looking to be spending more than 400-500 Australian). are M-audio studiophile mx4 monitors any good? they seem to get a decent review in a computing magazine. im happy to go with anything that works well and produces decent sound and apreciate any sugestions.

[edit]ps not that i think it will mean much but the style of music is hiphop
Yorkville Soundmake a hellof amonito forth emoney and active sus to match .theyhave both passive and activemodlesand a 2year warraity even if you breakit
theyalso recieve veryg ood reviews as well if you do some digging youcan look up the reviews as well
james
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

i think im gong to look at buying roland db-5s. does anyone know why some moniters are sold separatly and not in twin sets. does that mean you only need one? or just the way it goes
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

You need one for mono....
2 for luxury.

Another vote here for Blue Sky.

You won't find a better monitor setup for $600 US or under.

The Media Desk 2.1 Monitors are $599, and the EXO's are $360, and work beautifully.

As suggested, search the forums. There's like 4,897,542 threads on monitors.
A wealth of knowledge to be had.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I gotta say, I'm no fan of the Rolands.... and have owned some (actually, I was given some). They sound ok in isolation but are misleading and max out without being pushed very hard.

There's a reason they go cheap

As for why sold singularly... 5.1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search