The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If you had to choose Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

If you had to choose

Im currently having the Presonus Firestudio which is a lovely unit but I still have problems with it on my G5 and it demotivates me from making music. I will contact presonus again bout the issue and maybe I have a defective unit (lets hope so !) and that it can be traded for a new one.

Otherwise, if not then I want to sell my unit and replace it for something else...

So I narrowed down a few interfaces again. Id love to have the Metric Halo 2882 but its just too much money and can't afford it at the moment. I don't see them second hand so its sadly not an option...

If you had to choose between:

Motu 896 original
Motu 896 HD
Digidesign 002R
Focusrite Saffire 26
Mackie Onyx 400R

which one would it be?

Im looking for as much good preamps as possible, clean, natural and transparant sound and if possible ADAT. I don't have anything ADAT yet but I might get an ADAT convertor or rent one if I will be recording drumtakes or something similar.

I record on macintosh (iMac G5, Macbook and going to get the new iMac soon) with digital performer.
I don't really care for Pro Tools as Im already content with digital performer.

Thanks all for the input
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainy-taxi View Post
Im looking for as much good preamps as possible

If you had to choose:

Mackie Onyx 400R
that's it.

but if you want the metric halo unit, but just because the some extra $$$ you won't go for it... i would still consider it. And you could just wait a month or two or three more to get what you really want. You have the Firestudio. It's not like the worst piece of gear ever. It's usable. I had to use Firepod for making one EP. It ended up sounding pretty nice.

Gear is there to make you not to think about the gear too much. It must make you feel confident. And the Metric Halo ain't like $4000, it's still in your price range and that's what you would love have.

I don't have MH. I have never actually used it. Only read some good reviews here on GS. I have the RME FF400 myself and I'm slowly going for as many possible channels of DAV as I can for premamps. And will be adding the ADI-2, or ADI-8 to the AD side. Anyway... as I said, keep the Firestudio until you can afford something you really want.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

well the firestudio is a bit unusable here as I can't even run 4 tracks smoothly without clicks pops etc. Im one of the ones where the unit really freaks out so its unusable for me. If I can get it working then I sure will keep it as I thought this one had the best value for money with good quality and indeed the sound quality IS very good. But still, those problems...

Anyways thanks for the Mackie vote ! I will concider it in case needed.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

have you tested other firewire gear on your computer? Because I had the same problem with my old mother board and with all firewire interfaces. It got something to do with IRQ something... yes.... I know **** about computers.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

well I run on a mac and the M-audio FW1814 which I recently sold worked as a breeze on this system. Ultra low latencies, could run 50+ trackcount projects with ease so its definatly the driver or the unit.

I notice that since I have the drivers installed, my system is much slower then it used to be... Even with a clean install. So there is really something bad happening here.
Contacted presonus, waiting for their answer (its still night in the USA now).

There are more people with the same issues as I have. Especially sonar was a real hog for the firestudio though that issue is now solved if I remember correctly.
Old 4th September 2007
Here for the gear

Although its quite expensive, I'd go with an apogee ensemble. But that's because I work on logic.

Otherwise, from that list, probably the MOTU HD system.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm still using a Firepod and had issues when I started, but the Presonus folks were very helpful. I'd get up and running with it and save the$$$. If you can't, let me know. I might be interested in the Firestudio....
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

i'd go for an RME Fireface 400
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

the fireface 400 was first concidered but decided that its really not my unit after looking at the pictures alone (assignment of i/o etc.)

The mackie doesnt have adat which is something I might need in the future. I still want to keep using the firestudio as it has everything I need and I like the soundquality of it. Contacted presonus support about the problems so hope to get a reply asap.
Maybe they exchange my unit for a new one and I dont have any troubles anymore. Otherwise the Motu 896 (maybe the HD version) looks pretty promising to me. I believe Pat Metheny uses a lot of motu gear for the recording of all guitar parts he does.
I really like the sound of the last album (motu 828 MK2 firewire) but I don't know in what degree the Neve console used helped to give it that sound.

Concidering what I record and do, I think metric halo is just a bit too much in price. Im just fooling around and don't record much (time issues). Id love to record real acoustic instruments, get session players here to make music with etc. but its location and time problems Im having. So the metric halo is a big investment in something that will be more playback device at the moment then anything else.
I do play with a band but I think recording with something like the mackie or the presonus does justice enough to the music and soundquality.

THanks so far for any opinions. I'll first see how presonus deals with this.
Old 8th September 2007
Talk to Presonus. They have great customer service. It might be a bunk unit. My friend and I tracked his album with one and we were happy with the results. The pops and clicks are weird... Never had that problem. What is your buffer set to? It sounds like it's set too low. You probably checked all that though.

I love that unit.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Talk to Presonus. They have great customer service. It might be a bunk unit. My friend and I tracked his album with one and we were happy with the results. The pops and clicks are weird... Never had that problem. What is your buffer set to? It sounds like it's set too low. You probably checked all that though.

I love that unit.
I have it at all buffer settings, some slower then others. I really have weird issues and presonus knows about it and I love the quality of the sound indeed. Really a step up from the M-audio FW1814 I owned before. I can clearly hear the difference. The presonus sounds clear, detailed and transparant (and the maudio muddy, wooly and lacking hi end now I could compare the 2 units).
The console app is really perfect and does more then I ever need to so thats good. Lots of IO options (though the neutrik combos on the front really gripe on my cables if I use jacks. Hard time disconnecting jack cables on the front) and great price.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mackie Onyx 400f - Great pres, very nice conversion, lots of nice features. I love mine. In that price range I don't think anything can compete. YMMV

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search