The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Rubber Broke! Equalisers (HW)
Old 2nd September 2007
My Rubber Broke!

On my AT8449 shock mount. Can't find how to replace it and certainly don't want to fork over $126 for a new shock mount. Any ideas??
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

I'm fairly sure there is such a product available (maybe in clothing stores? I think I have similair cords in my hoodie sweaters) to replace the chords. Otherwise contact audio technica, theyre good people, maybe they can send you a new chord.

Otherwise: sweetwater Audio-Technica AT8449 | Sweetwater.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakabrah2 View Post
On my AT8449 shock mount. Can't find how to replace it and certainly don't want to fork over $126 for a new shock mount. Any ideas??
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Contact A-T customer service in Iowa... get the replacement part from them or send it in and let them repair it.
Old 2nd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityRobert View Post
I'm fairly sure there is such a product available (maybe in clothing stores? I think I have similair cords in my hoodie sweaters) to replace the chords. Otherwise contact audio technica, theyre good people, maybe they can send you a new chord.

Otherwise: sweetwater Audio-Technica AT8449 | Sweetwater.com
it's not the cord, it's the rubber band around the mic collar, I bet I could jerry-rig using another thick rubber band....
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I am kind of in the same boat...the elastic on my 4060 shock mount is hashed!!!

But I have never found replacement shock mounts for one.

XJ
Old 3rd September 2007

AT was very good about sending out replacement cords and rubber bands when I had to repair several mounts.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

any decent sewing shop should have the elastic material by the foot in various thicknesses. cheap.

Dark glasses and a hoodie will keep you from being recognized as you exit the store with your purchases.

often it is easier to put new elastic on than 're-string' a shock mount that has slipped loose.

PS- make sure you are not running one of those ozone-spewing air 'purifiers' like the sharper image thingy. they will rot out your rubber at an accelerated rate.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

LMAOooo

did you feel it snap?

did you get a warmer signal when it broke?

I think you should have the mic tested ASAP! heh
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakabrah2 View Post
Call AT. The same part broke on my 4047 shortly after I bought it, and they replaced it for free.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I think some people have used the rubber bands that hold broccoli together when you buy it at the grocery store.

Fix a shockmount, get some vitamins...

b
Old 3rd September 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Call AT. The same part broke on my 4047 shortly after I bought it, and they replaced it for free.
I'm willing to bet that excellent service awaits anybody who calls Audio Technica for help.

War
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I think Warren is on to something!

PS: We're in Ohio not Iowa

Last edited by Chris Nighman; 3rd September 2007 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Edit
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

If Warren says so, then there's something to it. I, for my part, found a lot of rubber parts in a store that sells parts for modell-planes, ships and all that. They have all lenghts and kinds of rubber bands, rings, etc.etc.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

How about checking out a beauty supply store. They may have on hand a cloth covered elastic hairtie long enough to do the trick. OTOH, a fabric or craft store may have the cloth covered elastic "string" on hand, and the aglets to join the ends together.
Love the title for the thread. Great attention getter.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

I think customer service has gotten so bad that people don't even think to actually contact the company. Someone from AT responded to this thread, so seeing their presence in a forum usually lets you know their CS is good. I remember years ago I broke a tuning key on an Epiphone, I sent them an email and never got a reply but a week later their was a brand new pack of 6 at my door. Kind of surprised me.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Is it just me, or are these shockmounts the worst? I just never feel very comfortable trusting my mics to a couple of rubber bands. I'd like to see them offer something along the lines of the one AKG includes with their mics. Locks into place around the base of the mic and doesn't move.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Is it just me, or are these shockmounts the worst? I just never feel very comfortable trusting my mics to a couple of rubber bands. I'd like to see them offer something along the lines of the one AKG includes with their mics. Locks into place around the base of the mic and doesn't move.
+1000

The AT mounts are a pain to get the mic into and out of, and all of the stories of the bands breaking are definitely unsettling. I find it hard to believe that a company that makes such widely used, quality mics can't seem to come up with a reliable, and easy-to-use shockmount.
---
c
Old 3rd September 2007
Here for the gear

My wife keeps me supplied with replacements.

The elastic band women use for a pony tail, comes in assorted sizes, thickness and color.
They work as well as the original, and may last longer.

The difference is in the stringing, instead of going all the way around, I hook each one to the ring at both ends, and put both sides of the middle part of the band into the hook on the mic clasp. So it takes 8 bands to do 1 shock mount.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Dave Webb (I think that was his name) had me mail mine in and the replaced the rubber bands and shipped it back quickly for free! He offered to send me the parts or have me ship it in, no questions, no hassle. That made me an AT customer for life.
Old 3rd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp2u View Post
+1000

The AT mounts are a pain to get the mic into and out of, and all of the stories of the bands breaking are definitely unsettling. I find it hard to believe that a company that makes such widely used, quality mics can't seem to come up with a reliable, and easy-to-use shockmount.
---
c
My rubber band only broke because it was 10-years old and simply fell apart. Pretty good track record, if you ask me.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

My Rubber broke

Sorry , can't help.

Best regards, Dr. Andre
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

This gets my vote for the best thread title ever.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

AT tech support rock. Call them.

One broke on the SM for my 4050, had two sets of replacements for free within a few days.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search