The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha Ns10's subs and headphones to complement Studio Monitors
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Yamaha Ns10's: headphones and sub to complement

Hi everyone,

After much much research I have come to decision of purchasing Yamaha Ns10m's. To say the least it has been a nightmare. My reasons for the choice were mainly due to the translation to other systems and the fact that even though I would have to buy a really good amp(bryston) as I already have tannoy reveals passive monitors, the new amp would complement these as well. I was seriously thinking of the Adam A7's but my mate has a pair but even though they sound superb(awesome highs) I still wasn't highly impressed on the translation to other systems. Also heard the sub didn't complement the Adam A7's too well (more for the P range).

Now with this said I know the Ns10m's only have a bass response down to 60hz. This is obviosly going to be a problem as I mix house music which I need a good bass for. So questions are:

1. Until I can afford a good sub what would the be the best pair of professional headphones that could not only pick up the frequencies from 40hz and up but also allow me to do a decent mix in the lows ieTell if the bass is tight or not?

2. What is a good sub unit that will complement the ns10m's? I currently looking at the Adam' s sub range.

Again thanks everyone for the input.

Kind Regards,

Karvan
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

ns10s as a main speaker for house music?

Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm not sure that mixing bass frequencies on headphones is all that comparable because the room ambiance makes the bass sound quite a bit more filled-out than through headphones where you hear something more like the raw wave. Headphone brands, maybe Beyerdynamic , I hear good things about Grado as well, not sure about particular models though...
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks yeah I realised that after further research. I think I am just going to be patient a save up for a good sub. Saying this what do people recommend. And in terms of setup if I have Bryston 3b amp would I need to get an extra piece of equipment to hook it in?

Cheers,

Karv
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

is your room acoustically prepared in the subbass range?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search