The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In big dilemma about my next soundcard... Audio Interfaces
Old 31st August 2007
In big dilemma about my next soundcard...

Hello peeps out there, i am in need of a new soundcard. i use the m-audio fw-410 for the last year or so, but think the sound is not the best i can get out of my studio. so, i decided to go with motu 828 mk2, fw.
is it worth the money? read in the internet in various places that it happens to make problems all the time. is that true?
which soundcard would you recommend me to go out and buy instead of this one? i will need quite a few ins and only a few outs. plus midi in/out of course.
all i want is a great sound!!!!!

thx in advance, Kosmas.xxx

p.s. my budget does not allow me to spend too much, motu's price sounds wise if it's good enough.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a 2408 which i believe has the same converters as the 828.

It can sometimes be problematic in that i get a high pitched sine wave coming out of channel one, but to get rid of this all that needs to be done is switch the unit on and off.

The converters are not as good as the old Motu 1224, and compared to my Lavry Blue's it doesnt sound nearly as good however when its clocked by the Blue it does sound a whole lot better.

Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Just suggesting something I have: RME FF400
Old 1st September 2007
thx, but it costs 3 times the m-audio 410!!! here in greece they sell it around 950 euros.. :s
something more around the 600 euros price??

thx.xxx
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Might look at a used echo layla 24/96 pci system. Used they run about $200.
I have had one for years and bought another used about 6 months ago.
Never had any issues running wdm drivers. It has midi in & out, adat in, spdif in and word clock in & out. The converters test out very good.

I don't know if you have pci available but if you do it may be a good option for you. I don't know about the newer stuff by echo.

F.S.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post
thx, but it costs 3 times the m-audio 410!!! here in greece they sell it around 950 euros.. :s
something more around the 600 euros price??

thx.xxx
i bought mine for 750e and i think you can do the same...
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

fireface or saffire

I would suggest you go for RME Fireface (400/800)
as I have it (FF800) up and running without any problem ever.

The sound of the converters is very clean and uncolouring.
It is the most stable interface i ever had in my life.
The driver update policy is very good, though it works
flawlessly from the first minute.
I have tried Motu896 (even with a mac) and it was very unsatisfying.
(preamp broke 2 times, hard to get 2 of the 896 work together)

If you are not going to use it with a notebook you could go for
a hammerfall pci-card / multiface bundle, as pci has better
performance than any usb/fw interface.

This may be more money than you wanted to spend, but its
worth the investment, you´ll never regret it.

A friend of mine is very satisfied with his focusrite saffire
interface (he uses mac).
They got that saffire pro with similar features like the
FF800 but i have no experiences with it.
Plenty of IOs (8ios analog plus 2xADAT io ...) so you could
expand your ios later.
It got good reviews in various audio magazines (sos...)
It should be about 700eur in greece.

My 2 cents
Old 3rd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hakala View Post
i bought mine for 750e and i think you can do the same...
hehe, i wish! can you recommend me a place with that price? lower i found was 870 from germany.. :(
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post
hehe, i wish! can you recommend me a place with that price? lower i found was 870 from germany.. :(
sure thang

Welcome to Synthplanet.com !

Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just did a test on my converter and posted the results on the So Much Gear... forum, you might want to check it out; How Accurate Are Your Converters

It's not hard to do a test like this and it might help you determine how much your converter is affecting your sound. I hope some other people try this and report their results. In my case my mid-grade converter seems to reproduce a signal very accurately and I'm not sure what I'd gain by upgrading.
Old 4th September 2007
nice one
thing is, before the fw 410, i used a terratec phase 26. this thing (i think) had better sound quality, but was way too unstable on my computer and cpu-hungry. now the m-audio has enough stability, but the sound somehow changed (not better tho).
anyway, i am waiting for my new rme fireface 400 tomorrow, so we will see...
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

if you go the pci route go with the Lynx 2 series or RME Hammerfall
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post

It can sometimes be problematic in that i get a high pitched sine wave coming out of channel one, but to get rid of this all that needs to be done is switch the unit on and off.

The converters are not as good as the old Motu 1224, and compared to my Lavry Blue's it doesnt sound nearly as good however when its clocked by the Blue it does sound a whole lot better.

hello
i think we are alli nt he same boat on updating some much stuff ou tthere now and it form cheap to the sky an onward
I make a budge tup of what you want to spend first then dig around for the best bang you can get for your dollar also see about after sale support as well that's a real big one on any of this gear curently . The after sale suportis a real big issueethese days a lot of thsee companys gety our casa and your left out on your own and it seems to be happening a lot an not even on cheap gear either .
hope this helps
james
Old 11th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post

I just bought Prism Sound Orpheus through Sound Tools in UK 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the rest 250£ and receipt.

How pro is that?

Avoid dealing with this guy Andrew Kinsey.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search