The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SM 57 with Art Tube Condenser Microphones
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

SM 57 with Art Tube

hi, im planning to buy my first mic. I currently own an Art Tube preamp. After a few hours of search i found out that the best choice would be the Shure SM57 (for the price ofcourse). Was thinking of a t. bone sc450 condenser too, but i read its better to get a cheap dynamic than a ****ty condenser.

Will the Art preamp be enough to drive it? The reason i ask this is because i have a cheap Sennheiser dynamic vocal mic (e 825s) and i cant get a usable soundlevel with it. I mean its REALLY LOW, unusable. Maybe its broken?

thx
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

no quiet passages, i can scream and tap the mic, or put it in front of the speakers the levels barely move. i even hit the +20db button. with an electric guitar plugged in directly, i can only turn the gain halfway up, it reaches the clip point.
maybe that mic has problems....
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

I had the same pre with a 57. For some reason it sounded better with a cheap marshall condenser then the sm57. Shortly after that I picked up a Joemeek3q and the opposite happened. The sm57 sounded better through the 3q then the cheap condenser. Go figure....
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

oooh. so im better off with a condenser then?
but with the 57 you did get decent levels without too much noise?
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

You might also want to test the Sennheiser. I have an 825s and havn't had the problem you are describing. I've always kind of liked it.
Blue Bongo
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

Well I wouldnt say better off, it depends on your mics and your pre I guess. I was just dicking around on my little home PC recording/writing rig (I wasnt stacking tracks etc). I was getting OK levels with the 57 (with a little noise) but the marshall was a brighter mic and seemed to have more output which worked with the art I had. On the 3q I had to crank the gain with the 57 and had some noise as well. I think cheap pres have some noise....
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I know with my MPA Gold and 57 combo, I really need to crank up the MPA.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

One more thought,
I don't know how much you want to spend on a condenser, but you can get some pretty good deals off e-bay. My set up for all sense and purpose does fall in the Low End Theory section. My main condenser at this point is an Oktava MK-319. I liked it so much I bought another for a stereo set. You can also have them modified at a later point if you want to upgrade. Although some may disagree, I also like my Rode NT1-A. The Oktava being a bit darker, the Rode a bit brighter. My point is, there both pretty decent mics, and can be had for around $100.00 (give or take a couple of bucks) on e-bay. I'm sure other mics of the same quality could be had with a little research at the similiar price. I would rather go in that direction than spend a hundred on a new condenser. I'm also running this through an Art Tube preamp system.
Blue bongo
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

oooh. so im better off with a condenser then?
but with the 57 you did get decent levels without too much noise?

Probably, a pertinent question to ask at this point is "What are you going to be recording"?

If you end up like the rest of us, you won't be stopping at just one mic.
There kind of like Lays potato chips.

Blue Bongo
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bongo View Post
You might also want to test the Sennheiser. I have an 825s and havn't had the problem you are describing. I've always kind of liked it.
Blue Bongo
****. now i really dont know. just plugged in the sennheiser again. I set the Tube Mp to max Input level (+20 db Off) and the Output To center.
With average speaking loudness i get max -50db avereage loudness. The loudest peak being at around -20 db. If i tap the mic really hard i can get -13db max. Thats awful lot of noise for me and i dont think its supposed to be like that.

Also im keeping an eye on the Oktava 319 and Studio Projects B1.

Ohh mainly i want record vocals / speech. ('very' maybe acoustic guitar)
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

Also now im considering the AT2020... any experience with that?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Stick with the SM57 and experiment with your recording technique.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marrvel View Post
Stick with the SM57 and experiment with your recording technique.
I would do that happily, i just hope i dont get the same low volume.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

"I know with my MPA Gold and 57 combo, I really need to crank up the MPA."

Ditto. I record dynamic mics (including an SM57) through my MPA all the time...not a problem, but you've got to give it some gas. I can't do ribbons with the MPA for that reason...it's too noisy. I think it'll go as high as +70dB...I'm not positive of that though...I'd have to look at the manual.

Weez
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

all.
a trick i use with the art tube mp.
(or any preamp with not lots of gain.)
instead of boosting heavily in the mp.
n overdriving.
use smaller levels of boost...
then take output of mp into a line mixer....and add more boost...
then..send to sound card.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey I have used that combo. You'll be ok. You will have enough gain.

You are going to want a sm57 anyways right ?
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by firby View Post
Hey I have used that combo. You'll be ok. You will have enough gain.

You are going to want a sm57 anyways right ?
That was the original idea, since i read good things about it. Anyway im not really into the very high-end sound, i like some dirt every now and then. (and apart from some guitar, im not recording anything else)
Can you tell me how much input gain you had to use?
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Ok, something definitely is wrong with my old senheiser mic. I just plugged my Sennheiser (HD600) Headphones into the preamp, and LOL i got 4 times less noise speaking into them .

So i feel a bit better now, i can only buy better things than that

Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

That Sennheiser should be fine and loud. It's broken (or check with another cable...)
If it has a switch, fiddle with it.
TBH the sennheiser won't be much different to the 57 (not that owning a 57 is a bad thing!)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search