The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which one of these pres? Audio Interfaces
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Which one of these pres?

I'm looking at mackie onyx satellite, presonus firebox, and emu 0202 which is the ony usb of the three which would you go for?

keep in mind I will be monitoring through the interface also and recording vocals.
Which of the three do you think offers the best sound quality
Old 30th August 2007
FW interface vrs USB

None of the above in my honest opinion,

I would recommend that you ditch the USB interface thought and go with a Firewire based solution, as it offers better performance and latency than USB.

If you are on a Mac, check out the Apogee Ensemble multi-channel A/D D/A interface, as it offers the best possible sound quality as far as FW interfaces are concerned.

peace
mixwell
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I wouldn't go as far as 'none of the above', we're talking budget after all. Both the Onyx and the Presonus are Firewire, so would be good choice.

The Onyx pres are pretty decent in this price-class and the Satellite has some handy features for monitoring.

If you're interested in added value by software, Presonus has some good deals with their recent bundles.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Uhh, apogee ensemble in low-end theory, impressive. I'd look at focusrite saffire or TC konnekt. They both have nice converters. Possibly an echo audiofire or Gina.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm going to be using this for vocal for industrial type music distortion, reverb and pitch shifting will be on most vocal tracks, so I guess a pre amp with a meater sound would be good, I dont know just an Idea.

I am on a rather small budget right now
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

most budget preamps are avarage,some may say crappy.
I would choose a stable interface with decent convertion,later get a good single channel pre which is more on that highend side.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I'll bet the new Prism is better than the Ensemble - maybe not for the Mac yet? Are you going to come back with "well, it's more expensive?" Anyway, it's ludicrous that you suggest an item many times the price of the OP's examples. I'm guessing your company carries that piece, right?

For 200 bucks, I'd go with the Onyx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
None of the above in my honest opinion,

I would recommend that you ditch the USB interface thought and go with a Firewire based solution, as it offers better performance and latency than USB.

If you are on a Mac, check out the Apogee Ensemble multi-channel A/D D/A interface, as it offers the best possible sound quality as far as FW interfaces are concerned.

peace
mixwell
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgyptionRing View Post
Uhh, apogee ensemble in low-end theory, impressive.
Dunno, it kinda fits in this forum, it's a bang for the buck piece
But it is out of the budget for the thread starter yes.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

how about Echo Audiofire 4?

Echo Digital Audio Corporation
Old 31st August 2007

Isn't there a firewire version of the EMU - maybe it has 4 inputs.

I played with the USB version briefly - it seemed pretty decent. The price was right and USB has some big advatages for ultra-mobile recording....

-tINY

Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

In this range, I only have experience with the Focusrite Saffire LE. Its a pretty dang good sounding box for the money. Though I bet the mackie is too.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I've been checking out the saffire and I think it what I might go for, something seems fishy about the satellite going form 500 to 200 in a year somethings wrong, and the firebox seems solid but it looks like the saffire beats it in sound quality.

What do you guys think about the saffire, its supposed to have low jitter time like 250 pictoseconds or something like that.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjl4 View Post
something seems fishy about the satellite going form 500 to 200 in a year somethings wrong,
I guess they maybe had lower sales then expected, and hope to drive sales with the low price?

I got one of those Satellites. Haven't tried it on PC yet, but on Mac it runs very smooth (no driver needed) thumbsup
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm looking at mackie onyx satellite, presonus firebox, and emu 0202 which is the ony usb of the three which would you go for?

keep in mind I will be monitoring through the interface also and recording vocals.
Which of the three do you think offers the best sound quality
The Satellite has decent pre's and is very cheap nowadays...

But I think I'd choose the Firebox instead, because it has a low-latency DSP mixer. You can monitor with the other interfaces with low latency too, but then you have to lower the buffer of your recording software, which isn't necessary with the Firebox, but I don't think you can go wrong with either interface.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM View Post
I guess they maybe had lower sales then expected, and hope to drive sales with the low price?

I got one of those Satellites. Haven't tried it on PC yet, but on Mac it runs very smooth (no driver needed) thumbsup
It think that's the idea. It looked like a closeout, but Mackie said it would be available for another year or two.

I'd already have one if there was a straight analog out for the pre's on the pod - as it is now, the pre's go through AD/DA before the monitor out. You have to plug it into the base to break out the insert from the multipin.

In other words, I'd just like a portable pair of Onyx pre's - sans base/dock. For most of what I do the Onyx pre's are fine - good, in fact (I really like them). I have a 1220FW, but the Sat. pod is tiny by comparison.

I may still get one and "mod the pod" or try to make a pigtail for the pre out from the multipin.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
The Satellite has decent pre's and is very cheap nowadays...

But I think I'd choose the Firebox instead, because it has a low-latency DSP mixer. You can monitor with the other interfaces with low latency too, but then you have to lower the buffer of your recording software, which isn't necessary with the Firebox, but I don't think you can go wrong with either interface.
Ouch I would have to lower the buffer setting in my software recording app to get low latency. I dont know if this would be good for me cause I already kind of playing a balancing act trying to get all my vsts to rum smoothly with all the automation and such.

Doesnt the focusrite software also have a dsp mixer as well.

And if I getting this correctly I might have to get change my buffer settings with the satellite to get it to run smoothly?

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Doesnt the focusrite software also have a dsp mixer as well.
Yes.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I;ve decided on the focusrite saffire le for the time being, it has all the features I'm after good converters decent pres, lots of options.

TC electronic konnect 8 was pretty convicing, but it needs its own dedicated firewire bus and has no headphone volume.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Just to clear up the Onyx has a DSP mixer also that allows zero latency monitoring. The Onyx pres are the best in that range also. It also has very very good conversion. In that price range, I think the Onyx is by far the best buy for the features. Hell it even has talk back and the ability to connect and use two different sets of monitors, surround sound that can be used for even more monitors if you want, a separate headphone mix and dedicated inserts!!!

I use the Onyx 400f and have been very happy with the results, so take this for what its worth.

Peace
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

I use a saffire I think it's fine. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search